• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

computer usb boost

DeletedUser32426

I saw on the web that a person can get a usb boost flashdrive and use it to increase the ram on a computer. Haven't tried that yet ... does anyone know about that feature?

DeletedUser3882

I saw on the web that a person can get a usb boost flashdrive and use it to increase the ram on a computer. Haven't tried that yet ... does anyone know about that feature?
I wouldn’t do it but for emergency. Just because you CAN do it, doesn’t mean you need to.

In general, usb transfer rates are slow as Christmas compared to even antiquated DDR1 RAM chips. Hard drive transfer rates are faster also.

If a performance boost is what you’re after, 1) upgrade your RAM.
2) ALWAYS go into your windows hardware settings and choose a custom “page file” size. The default is windows managed and your computer will use up precious resources and hard drive space constantly changing this, and will bog down your system. Using free hard drive space to open/run background programs. Change this default to custom and set to 1% of your hard drive size (ie 500gb hdd = 5gb max and 5gb min same value). This will essentially give you an extra 5gb RAM permanently allocated on your HDD and take out windows processing/managing this usage speeding up your system.

Do this on every computer you have.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser32426

Thanks you have put me on the right track...but not completed.. My problem started when I was wanting the little cars to run on the tarmac in my city. All the other animations are working. I had posted a question about this earlier. I have 393 gb free space on the hard drive. I did set the figure earlier but it wasn't enough. Went to 4408 (recommended for computer). That did n't work. Trying 5200 not working. With the amount of free hard drive space, can I go higher??? Those numbers are MB not gb

DeletedUser29726

Thanks you have put me on the right track...but not completed.. My problem started when I was wanting the little cars to run on the tarmac in my city. All the other animations are working. I had posted a question about this earlier. I have 393 gb free space on the hard drive. I did set the figure earlier but it wasn't enough. Went to 4408 (recommended for computer). That did n't work. Trying 5200 not working. With the amount of free hard drive space, can I go higher??? Those numbers are MB not gb

A larger swap file will not usually improve performance (by the time it gets to swap file your performace is headed to the shitter anyways - old advice about setting to a % of your ram or HDD is largely irrelevant now - you want to *avoid* using the swap anyways so it doesn't matter how big it is - it may allow ram starved systems to run some things poorly rather than not at all :p). Short of getting more RAM (if that's the issue) you can try cleaning up the assorted crap running in the background and not running other things at the same time as the game.

It may also have to do with your GPU or CPU not being able to handle all the animations well enough.

DeletedUser32824

What are the specs on your computer?
RAM
Graphics
Processor

If you have a 20 year old machine you're probably out of luck! I've not run into this issue with any computers I own (all after 2013) so I'm working with 5 year old hardware at the highest.

If you can figure out what kind of RAM your computer takes, I'm sure it would be cheaper to just buy RAM than buy a USB booster. You can get 2-4GB of RAM for around $20 from newegg.com, depending on the kind of RAM you need.

And just to make sure, you have animations turned on?