• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Confused about farming

xivarmy

Farming would typically refer to engaging in a repetitive task for some sort of gain that you intend to use to advance other objectives.

i.e.

Farming GBG = getting in as many cheap fights as possible for individual rewards
Farming Quests = doing many recurring quests each day

Incidentally, if you ask someone what exactly they're farming *for*, many people will be confused ;) They just farm to farm better.

xivarmy

Mining typically refers exclusively to diamond mining - having alternative worlds whose primary purpose is to make additional diamonds for your account which you can spend on your main world. It could certainly be considered a kind of farming (it is a lot of repetitive work to make significant amounts of diamonds).

Mor-Rioghain

People discuss fighters, mining and farming. What is farming?
The terms farming and mining are often used interchangeably by players. If they say they are farming and there's no context provided, they probably mean diamond farming, i.e., a wishing well/fountain of youth "farm." It can also refer to the farming of other city resources such as goods but that's less common.

Johnny B. Goode

Inno uses the terms "fighter" and "farmer" as options on play style. Used to be there were clear roles for players to choose one or the other. Back when GvG was the main auxiliary (meaning not in the main city) feature, guilds would have players who were active fighters and others who concentrated on producing and donating goods and/or units for defense armies. Since there were fewer and less intense events, either choice was feasible.

Then events intensified, and other game features came along. In addition to this, power creep in many forms entered the game, accelerating with each passing event. Military boosts grew and grew. Event buildings started replacing coin, supply and goods buildings in producing resources, along with starting to provide significant military boosts. Once Future Era arrived, there were now three GBs producing guild Treasury goods. No longer was it necessary for guilds to have dedicated farmers. Anyone could fight while also providing resource support for the guild through those GBs.

The final death knell for farming in Inno's sense of the word was the introduction of GBG, with it's rather significant rewards and seemingly unlimited fighting. Between rewards from fighting in GBG and resources provided by event buildings and GBs, you could set up your city for maximum fighting capability and not lose anything on resource production.

Farming from the players' perspective originally referred to battle point farming in GvG. Back when global ranking meant something to a majority of players. Later it started to refer more to auxiliary worlds set up to "farm" Diamonds, first from Wishing Wells and then later from participating in GE with its Diamond rewards. Apparently some people refer to this as "mining", but I've never heard that term much or used it at all in this sense. When GBG came along, farming took on a new meaning, now mostly referring to heavy GBG participation resulting in considerable resource rewards, from goods to Diamonds.

So now to today. Farming can still mean either having one or more Diamond farms, or heavy GBG participation. Fighting really doesn't mean much as a designation anymore, because the majority of active players are probably now by default "fighters". Mining is not used much, I think, and when I see it used, it's mostly referring to mining special goods in the Space eras such as Space Age Mars.

And there you have it, a brief history of "fighting", "farming", and "mining" in FoE. (Other long time players, feel free to augment/correct this description.)

VWP1

You may find older references to "Farmers or Fighters". Many players chose to use city space to farm goods/supplies/etc. in order to negotiate rather than fight. I think the farming tack has fallen from favor among a lot of players.
Thank you.