• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Does anyone use Military Drummers and/or Color Guards?

Zatrikon

Well, do you?

What is the typical composition of your army when you do?

Perhaps in Bronze/Iron Age they might still be useful, but it seems after that, they're worse than any other unit. So I for one, never use them.

Freshmeboy

One rime...then never again...most worthless troop of the bunch...they should balance it by granting it greater strength or ditch it entirely...

Emberguard

They're fine early on. Like really early on. And I'd only use one per battle upto the end of EMA. After that.... gets outdated real quick.

DeletedUser36624

I have a drummer in my defensive troops in EMA, but other than that, no. Their sole value is the armor boost they give my Armored Infantry.

DeletedUser3882

Aren't they just used only for cheap siege armies though?
Indeed! If you have enough. They’re All Ages so no limit on which map they can be used on vs the Spear technique in All Ages (near unlimited sieges with 30 second recruit time).

“Early Age” use is true if one is only looking at their attack/defense ratings where, depending on your boosts, they are a useful regular heavy unit through maybe HMA, then become overpowered. As a regular unit!

“Higher Ages” Color Guard bonus comes in handy at times though, where that extra 1 health can/will stretch your other units through a tough battle, especially two waves. It’s enough to turn most units from a 2hit kill into a three, or a 3 to a 4, giving you one extra round of attack to finish off an enemy.

Drummer is pretty dumb in any age above EMA/HMA as it’s attack boost is usually outweighed by normal means and/or tavern boost. It just doesn’t make a meaningful enough difference and god-forbid using it with a color guard. The loss of two regular units for the minimal boosts these provide will harm you more than help.

DeletedUser36624

The Drummer has morale (+1 point of armor), not the Color Guard.

DeletedUser3882

The Drummer has morale (+1 point of armor), not the Color Guard.
Sorry... same difference since they both suck and have limited use...

*HOWEVER* my mistake stems from my personal love in using the color guard. I like to see the little dude trapes across the battlefield and whallop unsuspecting foes with his flag on top of their head! :)

It’s the most Bugs Bunny-Yosemite Sam-ish thing in the game.

DeletedUser36624

It's also amusing when attackers seem determined to take out my drummer at all costs (why? I dunno), gang up on him, and he goes down with that *spung* drum sound. And then they get slaughtered by the rest of my army. That's always fun.

Salsuero

I use a Military Drummer for the extras in my defensive army in HMA. With 56/256, he's not entirely useless. I've never used a Color Guard as they are just terrible... basically handicapped Drummers.

DeletedUser30312

I use them when I punk Spearfighters. They're okay for low age defenses, but lose steam past HMA or LMA as their stats fall way behind. If you've got a lot say from using a Drummer Camp* for the Attack bonus when you've got a Traz in your city, then they're good for cheap sieges. But that's really about it.

*I think it's the Drummer Camp that has a bonus, but I don't remember and I don't feel like looking it up.