• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Does progress increase lag?

DeletedUser

Apologies if this sounds whiny or lacks tact.

Partly due to my computer being...well, what you might charitably call a "vintage" model...and partly due to various bugs that Inno clearly has no intention of ever addressing, I'm experiencing a lot of lag. It sometimes takes 5 or 6 minutes for everything to load. And unless I shut down my anti-virus program -- which I most certainly am not going to do on a regular basis -- I always have to reboot Flash if I'm on FoE for more than 5 minutes. Otherwise it just gets stuck on yet another sword-and-shield loading screen, while I'm trying to visit my own Friends Tavern, or accessing the Continent Map, or whatever.

At my current pace, I should be transitioning into the Late Middle Ages at some point in October. And it occurs to me that as my city and my Friend list grow, so will the number of animations and profile pictures and etc. So, is that going to make the lag issue worse? Have any of you noticed a slow-down, as your cities get bigger and busier? Or is that more of a constant quantity, rather than something which gets worse with time?

Lucifer1904

The only difference I have noticed was caused by my computers performance but nothing directly related to game features. Being you have an older computer it may not be suited to support the features of the game.

DeletedUser26120

First half of 2018 will see FoE move to HTML5, that should be helpful for older computers.

If you can't upgrade your machine by then you'll just have to wait.

DeletedUser28970

Apologies if this sounds whiny or lacks tact.

Partly due to my computer being...well, what you might charitably call a "vintage" model...and partly due to various bugs that Inno clearly has no intention of ever addressing, I'm experiencing a lot of lag. It sometimes takes 5 or 6 minutes for everything to load. And unless I shut down my anti-virus program -- which I most certainly am not going to do on a regular basis -- I always have to reboot Flash if I'm on FoE for more than 5 minutes. Otherwise it just gets stuck on yet another sword-and-shield loading screen, while I'm trying to visit my own Friends Tavern, or accessing the Continent Map, or whatever.

At my current pace, I should be transitioning into the Late Middle Ages at some point in October. And it occurs to me that as my city and my Friend list grow, so will the number of animations and profile pictures and etc. So, is that going to make the lag issue worse? Have any of you noticed a slow-down, as your cities get bigger and busier? Or is that more of a constant quantity, rather than something which gets worse with time?

If I may suggest: I got 2 new 15" ASUS laptops for $275 each that work just fine here (within the flash limitations) ... don't let an older computer hold you back

DeletedUser26965

So, is that going to make the lag issue worse?
Will it make your issues worse? Maybe but how much worse can it get after all. Here's a comparison of some of my stats with an IA and OF city, a couple minutes after opening, not doing anything and no animations;

City-ram-comparison - Copy.gif

So of course there's more data being sent hence more RAM being used, more GPU acceleration, more CPU, no doubt larger internet packets etc. Not a massive increase overall and nothing I would or ever have noticed on my rig.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Snake? Snake!? SNAAAAAAAKE

I mean to say, I like that idea and I'll be implementing it next time I log in, thank you very much goodbye

DeletedUser

Right, thought I'd check in on this, just in case it proves useful to somebody else down the line:

Turning off animations does have a positive effect. It still takes a while to load, but now I can get 15 to 20 minutes of play before the first freeze/crash episode. That's usually enough time to do whatever needs doing. There are rare cases when I spend up to an hour in the game at once, and in these cases, I've never had to reboot Flash more than twice. So my experience has definitely improved, though there's still plenty of room for further improvement. Hopefully that improvement happens with the HTML5 transition Dursland mentioned, though for personal reasons I'll have to quit the game well before 2018.

DeletedUser26154

Turning off animations does have a positive effect.

I have to do that too.
Progressing isn't going to lag anyone's game but 300 monkeys and elephants will.
I'll dispatch the Super Friends to investigate the possibilities of Lag and Progress.
Aquaman has Ocean Future Experience.

Aquaman_Super_Friends_001.png

He will find out if Lag and Progress are connected.

DeletedUser28670

Yes, I've sometimes been experiencing lag.
But having animations off and only using one tab helps. I usually have enough time to do my stuff such as collecting, etc. before the first lag happens :)