• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Dumb idea

Fiendfyre

All music goes into the public domain exactly 55 years after the death of an artist. Which, theoretically, means that all artists who died before 1965 could be put into there. So, that means I could put Bach, Beethoven, and even modernist artists like Nat King Cole could go in there. Neat

Fiendfyre

Even better... get the rights to One from Metallica and make that the battle theme for the Postmodern and Contemporary Ages.

LANDMINE HAS TAKEN MY SIGHT
TAKEN MY SPEECH
TAKEN MY HEARING

TAKEN MY ARMS
TAKEN MY LEGS
TAKEN MY SOUL
LEFT ME WITH LIFE IN HELL!

Fiendfyre

You are right. It is an absolutely dumb idea. Any idea what it would cost Inno to be allowed to play that music?
Well, it would depend. They play ONE whole song for the entire age, and there's not a lot. Contemporary music (PLEASE NO BIEBS OR DESPACITO) is 2020, but everything else past that is not yet formed.
So:
BA-IA uses Hurrian Hymn No. 6 or something
EMA uses a Gregorian Chant
HMA to LMA uses lyre music
Colonial: Bach. Any Bach
Industrial Age: Beethoven. Any Beethoven
Progressive: Maple Leaf Rag or Entertainer
Modern: Something Frank Sinatra; hereupon comes the first public domain problem
Postmodern: KISS? (2nd public domain)
Contemporary: Hmm... Hey Ya! (3rd and final domain problem)

See. Probably not even 1000 (or even close to 500) dollars. Probably a good US$200 if unlucky

Agent327

Well, it would depend. They play ONE whole song for the entire age, and there's not a lot. Contemporary music (PLEASE NO BIEBS OR DESPACITO) is 2020, but everything else past that is not yet formed.
So:

See. Probably not even 1000 (or even close to 500) dollars. Probably a good US$200 if unlucky

For every country you can access the game?

WildOdd

So:
The sheet music goes into public domain after a certain amount of time, that amount of time varies by country (and EU), and I don't think it's 55 years anywhere in the world. Where are you getting this number for? However, it's the sheet music, not the recording of the piece itself. It's a stupid system, and the performers should only be able to sue over copyright if they're adding something to the piece imo (like a cadenza), but it's how it works. Also really? The best alternative would be to get people to write in the style of the eras, but um...seriously? Bach, Beethoven, Joplin? Is that as creative as you're going to get? I hate hearing masterpieces get overused. Be a little more creative. Also, what music would you use beyond Contemporary Era? Or have you not considered that? In theory, sure, it's a fine idea. It'd be a cool little nod to the music of the time. It's completely unnecessary, and there are other (better) ways to approach this. Writing in the style of the era is the best idea, but keep in mind music and science don't evolve together. For example, in the Industrial age, would you pull from the classical greats like Mozart or the early Romantic greats like Beethoven? They both loosely fit into the era.

I'm perfectly fine with the music now.

Fiendfyre

When the artist dies, their items go into the public domain 50-70 years after their death. It's mostly agreed upon as 55 years after death.

Farfle the smelly

There’s a ton of free music in the world, as long as you site the author. Postmodern/contemporary wouldn’t be as difficult as you think, actually. These artists often wrote a few tracks just to get their names out there. Your main issue is that you seem to want high-following artists, which the licensing could cost $50k for one instance (one country), as long as it doesn’t reach X number of players.

— grew up in a recording studio

Edit: it would be far cheaper to get a new artist to write something original for $500 and call it a day. Inno can afford $500.