• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Event Quests and Feeling Forced to Advance

DeletedUser26965

This topic is often brought up so I want to make this post as something I can use for a default response rather than having to constantly repeat myself. Feel free to discuss below.

The issue that often comes up is one that relates to quests that have a condition in them to do something which requires advancing on the Continent Map or Research particularly as these relate to events. Players often feel "forced" to advance at a pace they would rather not in order to be able to partake in events and find this not to their liking. They would much rather play at their own pace while also having the option to partake in events. Hopefully I have characterized the issue fairly there.

Now my response to that is multifaceted but let me start first with what Inno has said on this very issue;

"...we want events to be positive and rewarding gameplay experiences that are available to all players..."

[however]

"Some effort should and will always be involved in questlines. It's not fun to complete 10x a "gather 10 coins" quest - that would provide very little gameplay value. This will mean that there will sometimes be quests that are outside of your usual comfort zone"

A reflection on recent questline and event feedback

Inno has listened to player feedback and has responded by giving some alternatives to some quests some of the times.

So allow me to go a bit deeper than that. This game can not be free to play unless Inno thinks of some ways to make money to pay all the people to make the game, keep it updated and keep it running, this is true of all similar type games. In my opinion Inno handles this quite well. You can literally play everything in this game for free, you can play events for free. Yes there are some buildings you can not get unless you use diamonds and some expansions and even one tech(not required to advance and is specifically excluded from quests) but they also give players ways to get diamonds through quests, special buildings etc. The point being the pressure to buy is not immense.

However that pressure to buy by design goes up for events. They specifically use events to gain more revenue than they would be otherwise. This only makes good business sense and is what keeps the game alive. It also makes good gameplay sense because the opportunity to gain rewards players would not be able to obtain otherwise is present so clearly as a result there must be more pressure, more difficulty, more planning, more decision making etc. if not then one is simply asking for everything for free which devalues the entire game.

Now let me broaden this issue as I believe what's really being said is "I can't play how I want and do other stuff". Some people literally feel everything in the game should available to be done and everything obtainable by anyone playing any way they wish. I think we can see the absurdity in that and dismiss such notions easily. This game isn't completely free and no one has any obligation to you to give you everything in the game with no effort on your part whatsoever. But this is not exactly what I mean by the notion "I can't play how I want and do other stuff".

What I mean is there are many scenarios where a quest, in an event or otherwise, can disrupt many playstyles or gameflow and potentially make for an unpleasant gaming experience. For me personally this pertains specifically to quests that have a condition to make my citizens enthusiastic. I would love an or condition for those quests because my playstyle can at times have my city needing well over 100,000 happiness just to meet that condition which requires me to destroy much of my city. The point is scenarios like that can come up in many ways not just research and map type quests.

Also for me personally I don't sit in an age for years on end, I wanted to get to the end game and so research and map quests were generally easy for me and really easy now because those type quests autocomplete. In essence your playstyle may be you want to sit in an age but that's not my playstyle so why do you get alternatives and I don't, which anyone playing some other way can also ask.

Regardless I sympathise with such things and the general advice is to plan ahead. Go to Beta make an account and play there, also be helpful and report issues. That way you can see what you'll need to be ready for an event when it goes live. The fan run wiki also does a good job in having the info on events before they go live, keep in mind though some things can change from Beta to Live. Pace your map and research advancement that makes room for events if you plan on sitting in an age for an extended period of time. Plan your city to make room for having to build stuff to meet quest conditions. Get a general feel for what quests generally always ask for and be prepared for that.

And if you think it's bad now just wait for when the New Feature - Daily Challenges goes live.

In the end I think Inno does a good job at handling the need for revenue while trying to maintain a pleasant low pressure to buy gaming experience. And there is nothing wrong with asking for some leeway here and there but really in the end if you're one of these type players complaining about this where all you can do is think about your game and not the game for others and not the game itself then perhaps you can show how a game should be done and make one yourself and see how successful it is.

Freshmeboy

Well written...can INNO just post this as a link on the front page of every event from now on...? I would add that the majority of the quests require the majority of the players to change their city or play style which is NOT a BAD thing..I understand the natural inclinations of humans to reject change but changing your city and adapting your play style is at the very core of game strategy

DeletedUser26965

Well written...can INNO just post this as a link on the front page of every event from now on...?
Thank you and I literally thought the exact same thing just after writing this, it should be a disclaimer on all event announcements lol. But I know it won't help. I remember when GE4 came out Inno really tried to stress upfront it was meant to be really difficult but regardless of their attempt to stave off complaints of difficulty the complaints came anyway. I mean it's okay to discuss if some changes should be made but usually this type complaint comes from those not really thinking of the game as a whole and such, they're generally just playing their own game and not thinking about what they could be doing to improve it and want Inno to make up for that deficiency in their gameplay.

Jools1956

Excellent post. Personally, I did the event up until the tech research and stopped. Received some great advice here a few weeks ago and the strategy is paying off nicely. I am “picking my battles” - the ones that fit in my plan

DeletedUser28670

Very nicely written, thanks sloppy, this will save a lot of explanation in event threads... :)

DeletedUser28077

I agree this was well thought out. That is where INNO has missed the boat....catering to different playing styles. It puts you into a box. It is as if INNO saying "We decree that you should play the way INNO wants you to play." I have a big problem with that.

They are a business and deserves to make money (a profit, not a killing.) However, you have, "The customer is always right." When you abandon that (within reason,) you go out of business pretty fast. INNO is, IMHO, tip-toeing that line. Sometimes, they go over the line. I read a post but can't find it from a senior player that said when they started, there were two events. Now there is upwards to 15 or 16 a year.

An event should be something you remember with fondness...Not with disdain and anger. Everybody, including INNO has to understand that and evolve.

There is a story-line quest is currently asking me to build very large buildings that are not anything I need or want, that is wrong no matter how you twist it. If they get to a point of requiring you to compromise your style and city. If this is an event quest, great, I can skip it but when story quest is involved, you can't skip it to progress which is what INNO wants you to do....advance.

Freshmeboy

Amaranth, would you agree to this statement..."Camping in an age increases diamond reserves and reduces diamond usage"..? It's pretty logical right...? That logical choice of game play cuts into profits. If you are a business what do you do..? You spur advancement through events, storylines, etc. It has nothing to do with the "customer is always right" and everything to do with maintaining a business model that sustains growth and profits.....They haven't missed the boat at all....they just require a few compromises in your playing style and city construction for the free passage on board...

DeletedUser28077

I am a business man. I would like to be able to profit from my game play. Not in actual dollars but how and when I advance. I am ultimately looking for the win-win.

I am retired military which makes compromise tricky.

DeletedUser26120

I'm always sad to see players upset about an event because they can't do it without advancing ages.

Hopefully they will read this. You should be able to stay in any given new age for 12+ months if you plan ahead.

DeletedUser29295

I'm always sad to see players upset about an event because they can't do it without advancing ages.

Hopefully they will read this. You should be able to stay in any given new age for 12+ months if you plan ahead.

Planning ahead is the key: because I opened a Beta account I was able to see what I had to do for my real account. I was able to finish the entire event in just 2 days (also helped that I was on call for work and hardly slept). I didn't advance in Era, and I was able to redo my city enough without any major issues. Planning for these events are key: joining Beta helps more then you can realize.