• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Experimental City Ideas

Super Catanian

Building only from the build menu is the most appealing 'challenge' type to me. It's kind of funny to think that would be considered a 'challenge' in today's version of FoE...shows how times have changed. I think the main appeal for me is based on a longing for seeing cities that reflect the age they're in beyond just the appearance of the Town Hall.
This. So much this. It's why I like Cultural Settlements so much; when you finish and reach that prize, you little village looks consistent and really does have the appearance of the culture they represent, unlike the main city.

I think you just nailed the explanation as to why it's a challenge. Thank you. :)

Super Catanian

I just decided to add a bit more to my challenge of (almost) no Event Buildings.

No aborting of any Quest unless (for some bizarre reason) it would be impossible to complete it. So no HQS. Sorry, not sorry.

I had a rule that allows for only a few Event Buildings (post #12) are allowed. New rule: those Event Buildings must be as close as possible to each other, like a little section of your city. Just remember, there's a maximum of one of each unique Building exclusive to that Event, so your Winter Train is only going to have a maximum of three cars, and you can't chain sets.

No deleting GBs. In my eyes, they're just too big of an investment to even consider getting rid of them. So yes, I'll be keeping the Oracle. Plus, in real life, who would think about destroying historical landmarks. There's already the tree that owns itself that exists, and nobody can do anything about it.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I have started a new city on Arvahall to try out some of these concepts. It will be only GBs/roads/Town Hall after I get the Oracle, I will not form or join a guild (so no GE/GvG/GBG), I will have no friends (so no Tavern Silver), and I will not complete any DCs or Event quests. I will collect the daily event currency and spend it, but will only use the FP/goods/coins/supplies/medals won. Any buildings I win will be sold in the Antiques Dealer once I can access it. And after I get the Oracle, I will ignore the Story Quests. And no Diamond spending.
I now have the Oracle and have deleted all other buildings except the Town Hall (which you cannot delete) and one road section (for now). Just aiding the neighborhood once a day, it could take quite a while to get the ToB and Zeus.

Rhyyss

In my main city I have all the Great Buildings. That's been a fun challenge to make the use of them, even the Not-So-Great Buildings.
I've also got a Tiny Town, for the challenge.

How about an"Age Pure" city. Only buildings from your age allowed. When you age up you have to delete the previous age buildings as soon as you can. You could build Great Buildings, but only the ones from that Era. Special event buildings would only be allowed if they fit your current age (No soccer stadiums in the Middle Ages...)

Super Catanian

How about an"Age Pure" city. Only buildings from your age allowed. When you age up you have to delete the previous age buildings as soon as you can. You could build Great Buildings, but only the ones from that Era. Special event buildings would only be allowed if they fit your current age (No soccer stadiums in the Middle Ages...)
I'm actually somewhat doing that in my no-Event-Buildings city. So far, I just need to get rid of the Tavern, hopefully with a Public Bath. Then I'll get rid of the two Stone Age Memorials I still have, and replace three of my BA Military Buildings with their IA counterparts. Finally, the roads.

Enjoying so far...

DevaCat

In my main city I have all the Great Buildings. That's been a fun challenge to make the use of them, even the Not-So-Great Buildings.
I've also got a Tiny Town, for the challenge.

Well for an Age Pure city you would have to delete the previous age GBs as well. Would certainly make for a challenge!

Nicholas002

*(deletes Town Hall)*
heck...you can't even rid yourself of that pesky townhall in reconstruction mode. SO...

What about ONLY TOWN HALL? get all your resources from the "spend FPs" RQ, and buying goods with FPs. Ignore the story line, events, C-map, DCs, GE, GBG, and basically every other game feature, besides advancing in tech. I wonder how far you could get?

Last edited:

qaccy

heck...you can't even rid yourself of that pesky townhall in reconstruction mode. SO...

What about ONLY TOWN HALL? get all your resources from the "spend FPs" RQ, and buying goods with FPs. Ignore the story line, events, C-map, DCs, GE, GBG, and basically every other game feature, besides advancing in tech. I wonder how far you could get?

Buying goods with FP should not be included. You can get goods from those RQs, so that's your source of goods.

Nicholas002

Buying goods with FP should not be included. You can get goods from those RQs, so that's your source of goods.
Yeah, but with just the FP quest, you can do a max of 3 quests per day in the BA, which would mean about 5 goods per day. In later ages it would be much less than that. You could put the coins and supplies back into UBQ but you will need enough to unlock the techs. Without buying goods it would take many years to get very far.

UBERhelp1

I like that idea. You could also run settlements to get emissaries. It would be really tricky to get supplies, I think that would be the limiting factor.

DeletedUser

Interesting, why you choose things that nobody would want to do?
my proposal "Highest A/D bonus"
Simple

Reese7990

I think the issue with only building from your menu will be population. Residence buidings will consume much of your landscape. If you allowed special event buildings you could control this. Without them you will need a lot of expansions...good luck getting those without an Arc.

Aggressor

I think a zero GB city would be really interesting. I sometimes feel nostalgic for the noob mentality of research, reach SAAB and have an authentic empire building experience. Zero event buildings as well. I think I will try it out.