• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Farewell to my new friends from the Archaeology Event

Aethelcatt VIII

Hello, everybody!

First time posting on this forum, and I’d like to introduce to you a few of my new friends—old-nemesis-turned-new-friends, to be exact. Folks: please meet Larry, Harry, Gary, Joe, and their supporting catapults, Hillary and Ivanka (Hillary is the one on the left when they get into battle formation, and Ivanka would be on the right).

Small Army.jpg

If you are as medieval as I am and you have been participating in the ongoing Archaeology Event, they should be no strangers to you. I learned their names about three days into this event—after the tenth encounter on the battlefield, I think. Over the past couple of weeks, I have fought them—and killed them—so many times that we are all totally on first-name basis now.

And we have gotten to know one another a little bit as well. For example, I have learned that Larry and Harry, the two archers, are twin brothers who had the misfortune of being born a few years after an elder brother, who has of course inherited everything their father owned when the old knight died after eating an undercooked steak. That has left the two of them roaming the country almost penniless and constantly seeking employment in the armies of various kings, dukes and sometimes renegade groups, including an ambitious outfit of warrior monks who call themselves InnoGames, and that’s why they always look so miffed. Gary the cavalryman, on the other hand, is always quite jolly even in battle, mainly because his son was recently admitted to a top monastery named Harvard. Joe, the other cavalryman, who incidentally is Gary's twin brother, is having a major crush on Ivanka, and that’s why he is always right by her side when they go into battle.

One thing I have to say about these guys (and gals) is that they are the ultimate professionals in their line of work. Since the Archaeology Event started, they must have been slaughtered half a million times around the world, but still, whenever called upon by the clay tablets, they would dutifully show up in front of my city and challenge my soldiers for another round of blood bath, and never with a single word of complaint.

This morning, though, they seemed a little less enthusiastic about the job—and less chatty when we met on the battlefield. I guess it may have something to do with the fact that last night I beat them with a ragtag army of seven drummer boys and a color guard, which they may have perceived as an insult. Can you imagine all the grief they must have suffered at the hands of their comrades-in-arms back at the barracks afterwards? I think I owe them an apology next time I see them, before I kill them again.

But they did manage to kill the color guard and one of the drummer boys in that fight, which is the best score they have accomplished in quite a while. Although as a “very small army” they never really had a chance in these frequent battles, in the beginning they would usually manage to take out one of my soldiers, sometimes even two, before they get themselves slaughtered. Over the course of this event, however, I’ve dug up from the archaeological site a great wheel, a carousel, two royal marble gateways, a few sentinel outposts, enough blueprints to build a Cathedral of Aachen, and quite a few forge points to level up my statue of Zeus, not to mention the many unattached military units, mostly drummers and color guards—all very much alive, amazingly. With all this new military boost on my side, the odds are now even more heavily stacked against them. In particular, after I came up with the most effective line-up against them—two champions and six rogues—last week, they really had not been able to inflict any significant damage on my troops in battle until last night. I guess I could explain to them that I pulled that stunt just to help restore their confidence a little bit, so that they wouldn’t fall into a deep depression and drink themselves to death.

As this year’s Archaeology Event draws to a close, I'm afraid it's time to say good-bye to my new friends, since I have no idea when I will be able to see them—and kill them—again. At this point I just want to say to good old Larry, Harry, Gary, Joe, Hillary, and Ivanka: Thank you soooo very much for putting your necks on the line every day to get me those precious scrolls! And the best of luck to you all, wherever you end up getting slaughtered next.

Last edited: