• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Game Enjoyment is Declining

Angry.Blanket

A great thing about this game is that it's a lot like eating at Golden Corral. You can buy the steak, or not, and only do the AYCE buffet. At the buffet, you can pick and choose. Perhaps skip the fried chicken and get meatloaf. Or, go vegetarian and only do veggies. Maybe skip the pie and only do the soft serve ice cream. Everybody gets to craft a meal to their liking and no diner cares what another diner eats. If a diner likes nothing on the menu they can go to Micky Ds instead...or don't eat out at all.
That IMHO is what is wrong with this game, eating at Golden Corral should be like "eating at Golden Corral" and playing FOE should be like playing FOE.
Playing FOE should not be anything like eating at Golden Corral.
With everyone going in different direction's and doing their own thing the game has no structure ,no logic, no common goal. What is the purpose? It ends up being a pass time and not a game.

Graviton

That IMHO is what is wrong with this game, eating at Golden Corral should be like "eating at Golden Corral" and playing FOE should be like playing FOE.
Playing FOE should not be anything like eating at Golden Corral.
With everyone going in different direction's and doing their own thing the game has no structure ,no logic, no common goal. What is the purpose? It ends up being a pass time and not a game.
Wow. Sounds like you should stick to board games if you want to ensure everybody else plays the way you want them to.

Portia the Benevolent

I have been playing this game for about a year and I have 2 worlds...Arctic Future and Industrial. There are numerous 'updates' since I started and I don't think they benefit the average gamer. I notice that the Guild Expedition frequently have lopsided strength values favoring the defense requiring the attacker to purchase additional strength or spend Diamonds to heal prior to a second wave. I started playing today and they demanded 60 Diamonds for the 2nd negotiation...OUTRAGEOUS money grab! The Events are terrible...minimal rewards versus the ever need to spend Diamonds to improve your 'odds'. This game is no longer fun to play. The original goal to create a self sustaining city has been replaced with a continuous money grab by demanding more and more Diamonds.

I have been a gamer for decades and many times I have seen good games destroyed by poor developer decisions and greed. I believe this happening with this game! In any event this my '2 cents worth' and I will not be recommending this game to anyone. I think the large turnover rate is an indicator of what I have said.

I will recommend a great game 'Starfield'...game of the year.
I will check it out. It is is becoming a grind and in events they always put that last item you need -really far out of reach . For example, my grand prize reward yesterday was 3 ugly avatars. Of course the one they know you want is way further up.

Wwwoodchuck

For an old man like myself, the game is just getting too complicated: too many moving parts, too much to keep track of. Sure, perhaps that is what games evolve into, but FoE was not this complicated when I started 3 years ago. I enjoyed it enough to create and run 3 cities! Now… Retired one (which was a top 10 rank), in process of retiring a second one (that is in top 10), and thinking about shutting down the third (Which I did not even try to make a top 10, but is #1 in age).

And yes, there will be the folks who say nothing to it, takes them all of 5 minutes per day per world! They log in, collect castle, start a daily challenge, collect Tavern, do PvP, GE, settlement, GbG, collect incidents, convert fragments, collect outpost, battle for special goods, Battle a sector on CMap, do event quests, play event, scout a new sector… And sure, I do not NEED to do all those activities. But to stay in a competitive position, most are required to help the guild or maintain rank/position. It is what I enjoyed when I started.

If I drop activities and find a more relaxed Guild, I log in, collect, find a home for FP then close the game. Not my idea of a fun game, more of a daily chore like feeding the chickens. Go out there, see if they have anything for me, see that all their needs are met and walk away until evening bed check.

Wwwoodchuck

Ha.. I forgot to add, the main issue I am having is keeping up with my city. Since the fragmentation of FoE, it is very difficult to keep up with what I have in inventory, what needs to be put in the city, and where all these things come from. My memory is past its prime, so I cannot retain what buildings give what or even what I converted yesterday that I wanted to put in today.

Updating the city used to be done once each event. After the event, see what new building(s) I have and create space in the city! BAM - Good to go until next event!

Now, if I wait until each event is over I have thousands of fragments in 50-some odd items that I need to convert or figure out what each one does, and/or what it gives to see if I want to replace something in my city. But I also need to track the dimensions of each one, if they need a road or not and if they give fragments of something that might be better than a stand alone building I have enough fragments of to put in. I certainly cannot remember all that, so I need to create a spreadsheet to track what each is, how many I have and if they are worth replacing what I already have. Ya know what that sounds like? Being on a cube farm.

What is happening is I am just collecting crap in inventory. Rough count I have 14 different main event buildings, that I may have more than one of, that I think I have enough level 1, selection kits, upgrades, silver, gold, or fragments of to put in. But, I may have more in any of the Epic Selection kits I have in inventory also, so may have more of those buildings than I thought. I will need to click on each Epic Selection Kit one to see what they have and make a list of all possible buildings to see if I need any of them and figure out if any of them are better than something I have in my city…..

It is all just more than I want to have to deal with, it is not fun, it is a chore. Give me an event building, maybe two. Let me see them in inventory and rearrange my city for them.

Pericles the Lion

Ha.. I forgot to add, the main issue I am having is keeping up with my city. Since the fragmentation of FoE, it is very difficult to keep up with what I have in inventory, what needs to be put in the city, and where all these things come from. My memory is past its prime, so I cannot retain what buildings give what or even what I converted yesterday that I wanted to put in today.

Updating the city used to be done once each event. After the event, see what new building(s) I have and create space in the city! BAM - Good to go until next event!

Now, if I wait until each event is over I have thousands of fragments in 50-some odd items that I need to convert or figure out what each one does, and/or what it gives to see if I want to replace something in my city. But I also need to track the dimensions of each one, if they need a road or not and if they give fragments of something that might be better than a stand alone building I have enough fragments of to put in. I certainly cannot remember all that, so I need to create a spreadsheet to track what each is, how many I have and if they are worth replacing what I already have. Ya know what that sounds like? Being on a cube farm.

What is happening is I am just collecting crap in inventory. Rough count I have 14 different main event buildings, that I may have more than one of, that I think I have enough level 1, selection kits, upgrades, silver, gold, or fragments of to put in. But, I may have more in any of the Epic Selection kits I have in inventory also, so may have more of those buildings than I thought. I will need to click on each Epic Selection Kit one to see what they have and make a list of all possible buildings to see if I need any of them and figure out if any of them are better than something I have in my city…..

It is all just more than I want to have to deal with, it is not fun, it is a chore. Give me an event building, maybe two. Let me see them in inventory and rearrange my city for them.
I can't tell if you are serious or are trolling. I'll assume the former. Do you remember the add-on that we discussed in your "Fragment Maintenance" thread? I know that you have access to it because you mentioned the "Sets, Upgrades, and Kits" feature. You don't need to make a list of all of your building fragments and what buildings they will make because the add-on will do it for you. But, something tells me that you already know this.

Wwwoodchuck

Yes, thank you. I am serious, and as in the other thread, wanted to start a discussion and get others input. I find it hard to believe I am the only one with this issue. Is my situation one that Inno even thought of at all when planning the game? Is there a simple solution I am just overlooking???

I do not mean to ramble on here, but want to put enough information to give folks something to go off of. I don’t want to just be a “This game sucks” kind of post.

I can't tell if you are serious or are trolling. I'll assume the former. Do you remember the add-on that we discussed in your "Fragment Maintenance" thread? I know that you have access to it because you mentioned the "Sets, Upgrades, and Kits" feature. You don't need to make a list of all of your building fragments and what buildings they will make because the add-on will do it for you. But, something tells me that you already know this.
That shows what production is and where it comes from. IT does not let me know if it creates anything worthwhile, just that a particular fragment comes from this building. Good for direct fragments, but we are getting more that give fragments for something else also, or selection kits. It is getting complicated.

The other tool does let me know how many of what fragment/kits I have in stock. Good information, but it is only half the information I need. How many kits does it take to make a full level one? Does it need a silver or gold? If a silver or gold is required, do I make any or can I get more of them? Back to the other tool to see if it is there… Scroll down through the list, or sort a few times. Is it under a different name or in a selection kit? Open the Wiki up ... This is all stuff I will forget by tomorrow and have to do it all again if I would like to check.

I am not sure if I am an outlier in the game: Old man, just wants to relax and play on the computer a bit between emails and early mornings while I am waiting for it to get light enough out to do other stuff. Or spend a day in the game if the old body or weather tells me it isn’t going to be a good day to go play in the garden or go fishing. Visit and a little comradery with folks in the guild. I enjoy the mental challenges of the game, or did. I do not mind spending on the game, I usually have more than 50k diamonds in the bank in case I would like something. I spent the $25 for gold rewards in this event because I figure a few Monster Ranch Nightmare Boxes are worth having in my city to get Store Buildings from. I will buy a few elf boxes or the calendar keys next event if there is a building I think I would like.

Heck, I might be the only one like this out there! Everyone else might be young, virile, and a gaming enthusiast with a memory to where they can remember what they had for breakfast 20 years ago Tuesday!

It is just getting to the point where things are, I feel, unnecessarily difficult and cumbersome. I do not mind testing the old, failing memory, but how much is a fun activity supposed to push that memory? I get to the point of frustration some days and just close the game and walk away. If I remember to collect the castle, I am a pretty happy guy! Lol!! And now it appears Inno is adding GbG or Guild Raid only attack/Defense so I am going to have to keep track and try to build something else now?

Perhaps I am getting to the point where the farm game everyone jokingly points complaining folks to, is where I should be also?

Pericles the Lion

Yes, thank you. I am serious, and as in the other thread, wanted to start a discussion and get others input. I find it hard to believe I am the only one with this issue. Is my situation one that Inno even thought of at all when planning the game? Is there a simple solution I am just overlooking???

I do not mean to ramble on here, but want to put enough information to give folks something to go off of. I don’t want to just be a “This game sucks” kind of post.

That shows what production is and where it comes from. IT does not let me know if it creates anything worthwhile, just that a particular fragment comes from this building. Good for direct fragments, but we are getting more that give fragments for something else also, or selection kits. It is getting complicated.

The other tool does let me know how many of what fragment/kits I have in stock. Good information, but it is only half the information I need. How many kits does it take to make a full level one? Does it need a silver or gold? If a silver or gold is required, do I make any or can I get more of them? Back to the other tool to see if it is there… Scroll down through the list, or sort a few times. Is it under a different name or in a selection kit? Open the Wiki up ... This is all stuff I will forget by tomorrow and have to do it all again if I would like to check.

I am not sure if I am an outlier in the game: Old man, just wants to relax and play on the computer a bit between emails and early mornings while I am waiting for it to get light enough out to do other stuff. Or spend a day in the game if the old body or weather tells me it isn’t going to be a good day to go play in the garden or go fishing. Visit and a little comradery with folks in the guild. I enjoy the mental challenges of the game, or did. I do not mind spending on the game, I usually have more than 50k diamonds in the bank in case I would like something. I spent the $25 for gold rewards in this event because I figure a few Monster Ranch Nightmare Boxes are worth having in my city to get Store Buildings from. I will buy a few elf boxes or the calendar keys next event if there is a building I think I would like.

Heck, I might be the only one like this out there! Everyone else might be young, virile, and a gaming enthusiast with a memory to where they can remember what they had for breakfast 20 years ago Tuesday!

It is just getting to the point where things are, I feel, unnecessarily difficult and cumbersome. I do not mind testing the old, failing memory, but how much is a fun activity supposed to push that memory? I get to the point of frustration some days and just close the game and walk away. If I remember to collect the castle, I am a pretty happy guy! Lol!! And now it appears Inno is adding GbG or Guild Raid only attack/Defense so I am going to have to keep track and try to build something else now?

Perhaps I am getting to the point where the farm game everyone jokingly points complaining folks to, is where I should be also?
Ok. So you know where the fragments come from, you know if you have enough frags to assemble a kit, and you know how many kits you have. For each building I might add. Whether, or not the building has silver/gold upgrades can be discerned by looking at the inventory screen (see below). Any other summary information can be found by clicking on the "i". I don't see where poor memory really matters. Everything that you need is at your fingertips. There is a small caveat. Some buildings have name changes. For example, the Buccaneer's Bay starts out as a Trading Post (L1-L9) so you might need to make a note to keep them straight. Good luck. I'm not really sure what more INNO can do to make the going smoother.

1699877067024.png

Emberguard

I'm not really sure what more INNO can do to make the going smoother.

Without a complete overhaul of the interface it'd be limited in how much smoother it could possibly get. But I doubt they'd go through a high-risk expense of redesigning a interface that may or may not improve the experience

I don't see where poor memory really matters.

If you can't remember the name of a object then there are some buildings you wouldn't be able to look up

Sunhaven Palace kits is not searchable with Summerhold Manor.

onlywhoknows

what's better - a rinky thing that needs lvl12 to maybe be of any use (& you probably will only get to lvl11 & need to wait for a year to learn you will never get that other level since they don't put it up in AD or in any other event) - OR - another rinky thing that may be slightly useful but takes up a gallon of space and needs like 100 or whatever outrageous number of fragments that takes forever to get???

Ebeondi Asi

Sum vs sun i all I need to find the Summer Sunhaven bits
As for complicated? it is easy to ignore some parts of the game. The Number one area I dropped playing (or barely started ) were the Settlements. I did Vikings in full to get the Yggdrasil, and then never looked back again.
Many Guilds even a few top Guilds no longer require GE to be done.
GbG has not been a requirement for a long time. and many Guilds GbG is an optional thing to take part in.
I would say Wwwoodchuck is confusing goals. To play Foe you do not need to do anything except collect you city sometimes. and have fun.
There is no need to jump through any hoops "keeping up with the Kardashians" unless yo want to.maybe Wwwoodchuck is a Atype who can't let go of being #1 at all times?
Tere is zero need o check teh fragments. Who cares? Zero need to do most of the extras in Foe, but yocan still ahve fun.
I have done zero in the past few Events just because ifelt like skipping them. Zero problems.
I also play three full time equal cities, and it is a bit much at times. But the little stuff all are an easy pass. Collecting city, doing GBs. Doing GE and GbG are my main things.

Last edited:

Wwwoodchuck

Sum vs sun i all I need to find the Summer Sunhaven bits
As for complicated? it is easy to ignore some parts of the game. The Number one area I dropped playing (or barely started ) were the Settlements. I did Vikings in full to get the Yggdrasil, and then never looked back again.
Many Guilds even a few top Guilds no longer require GE to be done.
GbG has not been a requirement for a long time. and many Guilds GbG is an optional thing to take part in.
I would say Wwwoodchuck is confusing goals. To play Foe you do not need to do anything except collect you city sometimes. and have fun.
There is no need to jump through any oops "keeping up with the Kardashians" unless yo want to.maybe Wwwoodchuck is a Atype who can't let go of being #1 at all times?
Tere is zero need o check teh fragments. Who cares? Zero need to do most of the extras in Foe, but yocan still ahve fun.
I have done zero in the past few Events just because ifelt like skipping them. Zero problems.
I also play three full time equal cities, and it is a bit much at times. But the little stuff all are an easy pass. Collecting city, doing GBs. Doing GE and GbG are my main things.
Thank you for the reply.

No, definitely not a type A. I look at if I am going to put effort into something, even a game, I would like to do the best I can in it. So yeah, I can skip many parts of the game, but then why am I playing? To log in collect, dump collections and leave? Seems to me at that point there are other games that are designed to be just that, log in, collect, leave type of games. No thinking or requirements other than that. FoE is a strategy game that has more moving parts than that, many of which depend on other parts.

If I enjoy the GbG or battle aspect, I will need to build my attack/defense up. If I ignore them, I can do a few battles, that is it. If I use my resources to raise my battle stats up, I can do more battles and get more enjoyment out of that part of the game. And the case I am asking about is, I likely already have those resources available in inventory or the ability to produce them in my city. It is just an extremely cumbersome project to go about finding them. Is part of the strategy of the game coming up with a strategy on how to find what is in inventory or what your city produces? If so, I am failing miserably and may as well find another way to fill some time in my day!

It is hard to believe I am the only one with this issue. Judging by the responses in this forum, which I would agree is not a full cross section of game players, I really am the only one having issues with this. I thank everyone who contributed and tried to help offer solutions.

Dukester69

I've been playing this game since 2014. I use to play 6 worlds. With the way the game has changed, I deleted 4 of them and just play 2. The only reason I still play is because of the friends I've made over the years here playing. I quit trying to keep up with all of Innos money making schemes, special events, ect, ect, ect.....(which has taken the fun out of the game and made it more like work).

@Wwwoodchuck ... you're not the only one with the getting old issue.. I've been playing FOE sine Oct 2013, and now it's just a chore to try to get through all my worlds, and like Dukester said, the only reason I still play is the friends I've made. This Rival thing is not worth putting in any effort in my opinion so another thing I can skip without feeling like I'm missing something. The new Winter event building is worth going for though

Johnny B. Goode

@Wwwoodchuck I agree completely with you about the complexity of the game getting way out of hand with the fragments of fragments (not a thing, I know, but illustrates the point). I have 13 cities, but haven't "played" them much other than collecting for months now. The new Mini Challenge is just useless based on the first go round. I only did it in one city, and couldn't do it again due to the necessity of having multiple "Finish All" supply rushes and at least one unit box in inventory. It sure isn't doable in 13 cities, what with having 32 tasks including multiple battle and negotiate ones. Constantly changing event mini-games is another issue. I've been thinking about making more of my cities into merely "collect daily" Diamond farms, which becomes more and more pointless. I could go on, but what's the point. Inno doesn't care, and there are "everything's great" players who will rebut every complaint about the game no matter what, so...

Sharmon the Impaler

@Wwwoodchuck I agree completely with you about the complexity of the game getting way out of hand with the fragments of fragments (not a thing, I know, but illustrates the point). I have 13 cities, but haven't "played" them much other than collecting for months now. The new Mini Challenge is just useless based on the first go round. I only did it in one city, and couldn't do it again due to the necessity of having multiple "Finish All" supply rushes and at least one unit box in inventory. It sure isn't doable in 13 cities, what with having 32 tasks including multiple battle and negotiate ones. Constantly changing event mini-games is another issue. I've been thinking about making more of my cities into merely "collect daily" Diamond farms, which becomes more and more pointless. I could go on, but what's the point. Inno doesn't care, and there are "everything's great" players who will rebut every complaint about the game no matter what, so...
To further illustrate :

1 A goods dealer needs the real estate for the best goods producers in their city. This lowers their fighting stat room.

2 A GB collector needs lots of FP , again less place for fighting

3 A fighter needs attack combat boosts as high as they can as inno strips away the value of it a little at a time. This lowers the room for first two.

4 Likes to complete GE5 , needs lots of defense or a ton of goods

5 Likes PvP Arena , defense must be low or you will never get in the top 10 because your max points per fight will be reduced to 278 so forget about "winning" PVP Arena if you have a really high defense

6 Like fighting in GBG ? This requires as much fighting stats as you can get , this also eats up a lot time because of the attrition and fighting nerf and the huge new size of the sectors

7 Like GVG ? Too bad it's gone

8 Likes events ? Inno will not let you get the max building without sending them 20$ for each event

What are you doing Inno ? Making a step by step guild for other developers on how to ruin a game ?

Ebeondi Asi

I also am getting old(er) (Retired 14 years now) I find the game gives me something interesting to do each day.
The recent uplifting/re-imagining of features have given all three of my top Guilds an invigorating lift to new efforts and fun!
I really like to new GbG and the fact it has moved focus from individual farming goodies to maximizing all Guild use of attrition to be competitive. that the spread of top farmers to my fights is now around 2:1 instead of 8:1 being fairer overall to all Guild players (plus it means I get more fights overall each season)
that all three Guilds are getting most players going wild adding to, or starting more Treasury Great Buildings is also welcome news.

The fragments are zero problems IMO. Each day after collection I pop all the fully developed bits, and will check the storage to see progress on things like Phantom Tower bits, Trading post. Buccaneer bits etc. So by doing that few minute thing I stay ahead of the fragment mess.
I used to spend a great deal of money, but recently i just stopped spending at all. My Cities are able to advance with what I have going on now. particularly the Titan GBs. (which are keeping me current/competitive enough, , if not at the very top of attack boost of all players!)

Also the recent Events are just more complicated and annoying than fun.

Rhae 911

I have been playing this game for about a year and I have 2 worlds...Arctic Future and Industrial. There are numerous 'updates' since I started and I don't think they benefit the average gamer. I notice that the Guild Expedition frequently have lopsided strength values favoring the defense requiring the attacker to purchase additional strength or spend Diamonds to heal prior to a second wave. I started playing today and they demanded 60 Diamonds for the 2nd negotiation...OUTRAGEOUS money grab! The Events are terrible...minimal rewards versus the ever need to spend Diamonds to improve your 'odds'. This game is no longer fun to play. The original goal to create a self sustaining city has been replaced with a continuous money grab by demanding more and more Diamonds.

I have been a gamer for decades and many times I have seen good games destroyed by poor developer decisions and greed. I believe this happening with this game! In any event this my '2 cents worth' and I will not be recommending this game to anyone. I think the large turnover rate is an indicator of what I have said.

I will recommend a great game 'Starfield'...game of the year.
I must agree 100% on the fact that the game has definitely lost its luster. Inno has switched to making the game attractive to the newer players and leaving the veterans to hang out to dry. I would say that 95% of all rewards are useless to higher age players. Now that the Titan Era players have been reduced in power, I’m sure more players will call it a career. Sad

Graviton

I must agree 100% on the fact that the game has definitely lost its luster. Inno has switched to making the game attractive to the newer players and leaving the veterans to hang out to dry. I would say that 95% of all rewards are useless to higher age players. Now that the Titan Era players have been reduced in power, I’m sure more players will call it a career. Sad

But rewards that would be more useful to higher age players would be overpowered for lower age players. People complain about power creep, then complain about fragments that were introduced to slow power creep. People complain about incentives to spend diamonds and cash but then players who spend diamonds and cash complain that they aren't getting enough for their money.

I'm not an Inno apologist as some people like to portray anybody who says even the slightest positive thing, but they have a difficult situation: to please both new, lower age players and long time higher age players; to keep it F2P (mostly) while still incentivizing spending so they can stay in business. As we see from the forums, it really can't be done. So I guess they've taken the view that if they're ticking off everybody, they're doing something right.