• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] General Defensive Military Guide

DeletedUser2145

This guide has been mainly inspired by Daniel's General Offensive/Defensive Military Guide, but it will not touch up on the topic of offensive military. It may also differ not only in how it is presented but in the information it provides - Daniel's guide is fantastic and all, but it's way too outdated and 99% of the units have undergone some changes since then that directly influences the performance of those units in battle.

This guide is also a one man's opinion. All of this info and the defenses are applicable in the game, they all work. However, all defenses have a counter-offense so if in your case one of these didn't work it means you need to make a change. It doesn't make the defense listed here bad, it just makes it ineffective for your specific case.

THINGS TO KNOW

:death: Plundering
This guide is not about how to avoid being plundered. If you do not want to be plundered, plan ahead and time your productions so that you can collect on time. It's that simple. You can only lose a single production which is ready and sitting there waiting to be collected, and hasn't been motivated in the meantime. If getting a building or two plundered feels like the end of the world for you, do remember this is not solely a city building game and it may not be what you're looking for.

:smile: Perfect Defense
There is no perfect defense. It doesn't matter in what era your city is, what units you use, or what your defending army's attack/defense bonus is - there will always be at least someone who can breach your defenses. So your best course of action is to aim at a moderate/advanced defense which most players won't go up against because of potential losses, and not giving away all the space in your city for an unreachable "perfect defense" dream.

:charge: The Goal
Offense is indeed your best defense, in the way that the more damage your units apply to the enemy, the better you have defended yourself. The majority of players will stop attacking you if battling you becomes troublesome for them . Basically if there are 70 players in your neighborhood, the easiest ones to breach will be attacked most frequently and those harder to breach will be attacked far less or not at all.

:luck: Surprise, surprise!
The main advantage you have as a defender is the fact the attacker doesn't know which units you're using. However, if you never change your defense you lose this advantage. They can simply make a note once of what your army is and then just keep using a specific counter-army against you all the time afterward. So whenever someone attacks you, regardless of whether they breach your defenses or not, change your defense a bit. Changes a few units or change the whole army.

:war: Rogues and Champions and...
I will not be including these units in the rest of the guide because not everyone has access to them, but I figured they're worth mentioning. It's worth mentioning that they're not a very good addition to your defenses in general --- they may work in certain combinations and eras, but still in a small number.

When it comes to Rogues for defense, they're only fine until the Industrial Age. You can use a few in combination with other units and get good results. Starting from PE the battlefield is re-scaled to 1.5 and Rogues suffer greatly because of this. It reduces their movement significantly so it takes them too long to reach the opponent, and they're melee units meaning they don't have any range. I would advise against using more than 1 starting from PE. Keep in mind that this will be another player going against you, they will know the best course of action is to take out your other units and then your rogues, thus using multiple rogues is just giving away free victories.

When it comes to Champions, there's no point in using more than 1 in your defense. They give a lot of battle points and you shouldn't be aiming to make your enemy rich on that front. They're also not special, they're just as good as other units from the same age. Their one and only useful thing is the Call of Duty ability - when they get killed off the other units in your army get a bonus to attack and defense. But this is applicable only once so there's no point in having multiples in your defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2145

BRONZE AGE

:tup: Spearfighters - Super cheap, quick and average attack/defense, good versus most types (fast, ranged, artillery). At this stage you shouldn't bother with anything else but a defense composed of 8 Spearfighters. You'll be out of this age in a flash anyway.
:luck: Warriors - Super slow, not that good overall but they're the only remedy for spearfighters at this point. They can take a hit so using a few in combination with spearfighters is okay.
:tdown: Horseman - Fast, but way too easy to take out and aren't great versus most units. Avoid.
:tdown: Slinger - Slow, too easy to take out but give the enemy lots of battle points. Avoid.
:tdown: Stone Thrower - Expensive, weak, and overall bad. Avoid.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
- 8 Spearfighters
- X Spearfighters + Y Warriors, where X>Y; If inclined/have the need, combine a few Warriors with several Spearfighters.

IRON AGE

:tup: Soldiers - View them as an upgraded version of Spearfighters, they're the most round-up units at this stage.
:luck: Archers - Archers used to be the best defense at this point, if you've read Daniel's guide they were the proposed defense for IA --- that is unfortunately no longer the case since they have a lower range now and in general their stats aren't as great as they used to be. But they're still good in combination with other units.
:luck: Legionnaires - View them as an upgraded version of Warriors, if you need something to take a hit while you apply damage with other units or you're facing light units, these are your guys.
:tdown: Ballista - Weak in general, but good if you're facing Archers and sort of okay if facing artillery units. Avoid.
:tdown: Mounted Warrior - Not good overall. Avoid.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
- 8 Soldiers
- X Soldiers, Y Legionnaires, where X>Y
- 4 Soldiers, 2 Archers, 2 Legionnaires
- 2 Soldiers, 2 Legionnaires, 4 Archers
- 4 Soldiers, 2 Archers, 2 Ballista

EARLY MIDDLE AGES

:tup: Mounted Archers - This is your first offensive defense --- these units are first to take a turn in battle, they're good versus most other units (artillery, ranged, heavy), and even when they're not that great versus the other units (light, fast) they would still do some damage to your enemy before he/she makes a move.
:luck: Catapults - The first okay artillery unit, but still expensive for what they can do and they're bad versus fast and light units.
:luck: Mercenaries - Quick, good damage, and not that expensive. But beware of heavy units and a group of ranged/artillery units.
:luck: Armored Infantry - Upgrade of Legionnaires, slow but can take a hit and good versus light units.
:tdown: Heavy Cavalry - Not good overall. Avoid.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
- 8 Mounted Archers
- 4 Mercenaries, 4 Catapults
- 2 Mercenaries, 2 Armored Infantry, 4 Catapults

HIGH MIDDLE AGES

:tup: Trebuchets - The first great artillery unit, no matter the enemy units on the opposite side (so as long as they're from a relative close age) you're bound to do some damage. But they're still weak versus fast and light units so keep an open eye.
:tup: Bersekers - Fast, pretty great with attack/defense/health.
:luck: Heavy Armored Infantry - Decent if you need something to take a hit, great versus light units. Expensive though. Avoid.
:luck: Knights - The first decent fast unit. If you've got a single one of these they have an ability that gives them + attack/defense and they can be a good distraction for the enemy units. Using multiple of these isn't that effective (unless you're facing artillery/ranged units) and is still expensive. Avoid.
:tdown: Crossbowmen - Good damage but too slow and too small range, expensive for their uselessness. Avoid.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
- 4 Bersekers, 4 Trebuchets
- 8 Trebuchets
- 8 Bersekers
- 2 Bersekers, 2 Heavy Armored Infantry, 4 Trebuchets

LATE MIDDLE AGE

:tup: Great Sword Warriors - One of my favorite units in the game - quick, good damage and defense, and good bonuses. Works great versus most other units, can be a great defense by itself or mixed with other units.
:luck: Longbow Archers - The first ranged unit with a decent movement and range, and not that bad with damage either. Not good versus artillery and fast units though.
:luck: Imperial Guards - An incredible improvement from the Heavy Armored Infantry. They even get a small movement increase, but the more important thing to note is the attack/defense increase.
:luck: Cannons - An increased attack and a new defensive ability, but at the cost of attack range. Personally I avoid them but they can be good in certain combinations.
:luck: Heavy Knights - See description for "Knight" above in HMA units.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
- 8 Great Sword Warriors
- 4 Great Sword Warriors, 4 Longbow Archers
- 2 Great Sword Warriors, 2 Imperial Guards, 4 Longbow Archers
- 1 Heavy Knight, 2 Imperial Guards, 2 Longbow Archers, 3 Cannons

DeletedUser2145

COLONIAL AGE

:tup: Rangers - We reach the first ability which I like calling "ultimate", as in giving such a big advantage it's almost game changing. This unit "hides" when it's located on forest terrain, which means it cannot be hit with ranged attacks, it can only be hit by adjacent enemies. But this is not the only reason it's listed here, the Rangers are quite fantastic overall (speed, attack, defense) and don't provide that many battle points.
:tup: Field Guns - These are my favorite artillery units because they move first from any artillery units. They also have pretty good stats in general so they make a great defense.
:luck: Musketeers - A great upgrade from Longbow Archers, but I would advise against using 8 of them in a defense, they can be taken out easily by specific armies (artillery, fast, and some light units) yet they give the enemy a lot of battle points.
:luck: Grenadiers - Fantastic for soaking up damage and they can avoid retaliation because they have an attack range (as small as it is).
:luck: Dragoons - Unlike previous fast units, these CAN make a difference against most of the enemy units.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
- 8 Rangers
- 8 Field Guns
- 4 Rangers, 4 Field Guns
- 2 Rangers, 2 Grenadiers, 2 Musketeers, 2 Field Guns
- Other combinations of "good" and "okay" units.

INDUSTRIAL AGE

:tup: Jaeger Infantry - The same description as the one for Rangers applies, except Jaegers have a slightly smaller attack but in return they have an attack range of 6.
:luck: Riflemen - Fantastic for applying a lot of damage and fairly quickly as well because they have an attack range of 8. However, they can be killed off easily and give a lot of battle points to the enemy.
:luck: Breech Loaders - A good artillery unit, but expensive for what it can do on the battlefield.
:luck: Howitzers - The "cure" for Rangers and Jaegers since it ignores their hiding ability. If you're looking to do a lot of damage to melee units then this is the unit you need. However, it doesn't do very well versus artillery and ranged units.
:luck: Lancers - The same as the Dragoon, but with an increased attack.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
- 8 Jaeger Infantry
- 4 Jaeger Infantry, 4 Riflemen
- 3 Jaeger Infantry, 3 Riflemen, 2 Breech Loaders
- 3 Jaeger Infantry, 3 Riflemen, 2 Howitzers

PROGRESSIVE ERA

:luck: Tanks - Great versus ranged and fast units. Pretty slow on the battlefield though.
:luck: Conscripts - Great versus artillery, decent versus heavy units (including Tanks).
:luck: Rapid Fire Cannons - Best range in this era, but pretty weak on the attack/defense front.
:tdown: Snipers - Good defense stats in general, great versus light units, but weak versus most of the unit types.
:tdown: Armored Cars - Good for hitting on first turn, not really great overall.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
None. I'd propose 8 Tanks but 8 RFCs can take those out somewhat easily. This is the first era in which your defense should be a simple combo of any of the above or based fully on the units of the enemy who is attacking you.

MODERN ERA

:tup: Battle Tanks - A fantastic improvement from the Tank units, and a great unit overall.
:tup: Paratroopers - Doesn't have the best attack/defense stats but it has the hiding ability (can't be hit by ranged attacks when on forest terrain) AND it always moves first and starts on a random location on the battlefield. Think of them as the Mounted Archers for Modern Era.
:luck: Mechanized Artillery - A huge improvements from the RFC artillery unit. Good overall.
:tdown: Mechanized Infantry - Good for hitting on first turn, not really great overall.
:tdown: Bazooka Teams - Huge attack, huge defense, but too slow to be any good as a defensive unit.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
- 8 Battle Tanks
- 8 Paratroopers
- 4 Battle Tanks, 4 Paratroopers

POSTMODERN ERA

:tup: Universal Tanks - Fantastic all around.
:luck: MG Teams - Doesn't have the best stats but it has a great ability --- always retaliates to attacks so as long as it has the range to do so.
:luck: Commandos - Huge attack/defense, can hide in forest terrain and has the 'close quarters' ability, giving it extra damage when attacking an adjacent enemy. Somewhat slow though.
:luck: Rocket Artillery - A decent improvement from Mechanized Artillery.
:tdown: IFVs - Good for hitting on first turn, not really great overall.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
- 8 Universal Tanks
- Combinations of Universal Tanks and "okay" units.

DeletedUser2145

CONTEMPORARY ERA

:tup: Assault Tanks - Great unit in general and has an ability which prevents it from taking more than 4 damage per attack.
:tup: Helicopters - Huge attack and ignores terrain penalties so it can reach the enemy units on the first turn, allowing it to apply damage right away. However, it can be taken out easily.
:luck: Strike Teams - Think of them as improved Paratroopers.
:luck: Anti-Air Vehicles - Great movement, retaliates to all attacks and has the dug in ability (+20 defense for ranged attacks), but in general has slightly weak attack/defense stats.
:tdown: Missile Artillery - Just no.

PROPOSED DEFENSES:
- 8 Assault Tanks
- 8 Helicopters
- X Assault Tanks, Y Helicopters
- Other combinations only if needed.

DeletedUser6172

• 3 Assault Tanks
  • 1 Anti-Aircraft Unit
  • 4 Rogues
Makes a lovely GvG siege army combination, and thereby becomes your first garrison army. And that combination also does reasonably well on GvG defense. Having some Rogues in your siege army is about the only way that you can afford to use Rogues as garrison troops, because they take a full day to train.

Likewise, if you're farming a sector 8 Champions will yield 8*10,000*120%*10=960,000 battle points per cycle, and a million points is a million points. Assault Tanks are only 5,200 battle points each. 1 Assault Tank + 7 Rogues is probably the cheapest way to farm the Champions.

City defense is a whole different kettle of fish, because the attack bonus of your defending units SUCKS. It's limited to whatever your city has from Saint Basil's and Deal Castle. So you pretty much have to have a LOT of Assault tanks so that they'll survive at least three rounds and get in enough hits to do some damage.

Surprisingly, 8 Strike Troops can take out 8 Assault Tanks most of the time when you're attacking the neighbors, but your neighborhood bullies also know that, of course, so once in a while you need to use 8 Anti-Air units to keep them honest with the Strike Troops.

If a Strike Team can't crack a city, then 1 Assault Tank + 7 Rogues will still do nicely against a ridiculous number of Watchfires, but you'll end up spending some diamonds to revive a few Rogues. To me, it's worth a few diamonds to shove Watchfires up somebody's backside.

DeletedUser

The PME commando doesn't have great speed; however most PME maps will have lots of jungle tiles. It's the perfect terrain to his "stealth" skill, and make the commando the perfect defending unit for PME. I honestly cannot think of any other unit type that is tailored more specifically for a map environment than commandos and PME jungle maps. I recommend a mix of 3 commandos/3 MGs/2 uni tanks or IFVs. This army will GUARANTEE to give the enemy some losses, and made them think twice before hitting your city.

DeletedUser29087

When I click on the video to watch who attacked me it show three names.
The one that the news said attacked me and two other I am guessing they are allies?
They are not in the same guild.
Are the three of them attacking me or just one? anyone have any insight on this I would appreciate it!

DeletedUser29087

yah, i think I got it. it showing the three top ranks in pvp. and where the person stand in that rank that attacked me!

DeletedUser22540

I don't see anything here for arctic and undersea levels. How do I combat the eels?