• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Getting troops from higher ages?

I'm in the Late Middle Ages and I got attacked by a couple people. I watched the battles and then clicked revenge to attack them. Once the battles loaded, I saw that both players I attacked, even though they are both in the Late Middle Ages as I am, have full squads of Colonial Age troops defending.

How is this possible and how am I even supposed to be able to retaliate against them or defend against them when I have to fight troops in an era higher than mine?

DeletedUser

We need a copy and paste version of this answer so we don't have to type it every time a new person starts a thread about it. Which is almost daily.

If you advance on the Continent Map and the Story questline farther than your city has advanced, some of the quest rewards include those higher age troops. For example, your city and Town Hall are still in LMA, but you have conquered or negotiated sectors/provinces on the Colonial part of the Continent Map (where your goods boosts are), and you have fulfilled enough quests in the Story line to also be in the Colonial part of it. I have done it accidentally a few times myself, and there are players whose game strategy includes doing this for each new age. I understand that at some points in the game, it is actually possible to get troops 2 ages higher than the one you're in.

DeletedUser30312

There's a bonus questline you can do that'll award you with CA units for some of the quests. I've seen plenty of LMA players who've done at least part of it for the units. I've also seen LMA players who use said units aggressively against their neighbors, and it's not a lot of fun to get smacked by 1 Grenadier + 7 Rogues packing an attack bonus around +100%. It is legit though.

DeletedUser28670

Okay, let's make a copy-and-paste reply on this very question :p

"Advancing farther than your current age on the continent map sector will subsequently advance your story quests; and the story quests occasionally reward you with troops of the era of the continent map you are doing. Say you are in LMA and you take all the sectors to the Colonial Age. There are story quests for taking provinces of CA obviously and one of them will reward you with (2 grenadiers I think). How you counter this strategy is advance to that age in your Continent Map yourself, get the troops, put them on defence, and that will probably deter the attackers as if they lose a grenadier, then they won't get it back, and it won't be worth it for them to attack you."

DeletedUser27849

There's a bonus questline you can do that'll award you with CA units for some of the quests. I've seen plenty of LMA players who've done at least part of it for the units. I've also seen LMA players who use said units aggressively against their neighbors, and it's not a lot of fun to get smacked by 1 Grenadier + 7 Rogues packing an attack bonus around +100%. It is legit though.

Very true, I do it all the time.