• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Good buildings Vs. Special Buildings (that produce goods)

DeletedUser13736

For the sake of simplicity, I will be considering only the special buildings that you do not select what it will produce. Thus, the Mad Scientist's Lab and other buildings like that will not be in this list.

Good Buildings

1. Standard good buildings are typically larger than the special buildings. There are exceptions, like those pesky roperies and paper mills.

2. Looking at the output of standard good buildings, they do produce more; provided you have the respective deposits for them. Twenty a day ain’t bad.

3. They cost population. There’s no avoiding this, they cost a lot of population. Especially in the later ages.

4. Limited to 2 different types (for lack of a better word). That means you get a stable income of 1-2 goods per era. When you get to Modern Era and above, you need goods from lower eras, but you become boosted in 3 goods. Thus, taking up more space in your city.

5. You do get to choose what you get, for the most part. One may see this as better than being randomly given goods. While it may make it easier to plan ahead, it does make it a bit of a pain to trade for the 3-4 other goods in the era.
6. Vulnerable to plunder if not collected in time.

Special Buildings

1. Random Goods! This means that you may not know what you will get on a day to day basis.

2. All of the special buildings that produce goods, also produce other resources. Most produce coins and some produce medals and/or forge points. But, don’t forget about wishing wells, fountain of youths, and hedge mazes; those can even produce DIAMONDS.

3. None cost any population. Zero. Zilch. Nada. In fact, it’s almost the opposite. Most actually provide population, but none have any jobs required of the people.

4. There are around 10 different buildings (excluding sets) that provide random goods. This does not mean you are limited to only ten, in fact with the introduction of GE, I have too many Tribal Squares than I know what to do with.

5. They can be any age. Well, almost. You can’t produce goods of an era above you, but you can produce goods from any era below you. For instance if you get a Tribal Square in Colonial Age, then it will produce those era’s goods, until you upgrade it. This can be useful because you don’t need to delete the building and spend supplies/coins constructing a good building of a new age.
6. Most special goods buildings have to be motivated in order to produce goods, therefore cannot be plundered.

My Recommendation

I recommend that when you are just starting out, collect as many special buildings that produce goods as you can. Also, collect as many renovation and one-up packs as possible. You can knock out two birds with one stone by participating in the Guild Expeditions. The special buildings become extremely valuable when you age into Modern Era and above. This is because they produce refined goods.

Up until you are at the point where you have the ability to produce 40 or more goods a day (through special buildings) use normal good buildings. A good practice is to keep a few special buildings an age below you. So you can stockpile even more goods for the latter eras and also have goods for the GE effort.

In closing, I like both normal and special good buildings, and they each have their strength and weaknesses. You ultimately get to choose what to build in your empire, and I hope I have helped you decide on what you want.

Thank you for reading:)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

A correction: From Modern Era on up, you will actually be boosted in 3 of the 5 good types per age.
2 additions: For goods buildings, they are vulnerable to plunder if not collected immediately
For most special buildings producing goods (Tribal Square, Oasis): They produce the goods when motivated, therefore cannot be plundered.

DeletedUser13736

A correction: From Modern Era on up, you will actually be boosted in 3 of the 5 good types per age.
2 additions: For goods buildings, they are vulnerable to plunder if not collected immediately
For most special buildings producing goods (Tribal Square, Oasis): They produce the goods when motivated, therefore cannot be plundered.
Thank you for those corrections/additions; they will be added shortly.

DeletedUser31592

They can be any age. Well, almost. You can’t produce goods of an era above you, but you can produce goods from any era below you. For instance if you get a Tribal Square in Colonial Age, then it will produce those era’s goods, until you upgrade it. This can be useful because you don’t need to delete the building and spend supplies/coins constructing a good building of a

Expanding on this- I never, ever use a kit (one-up or reno) on 'easily obtainable' buildings. Like the Tribal Square. I slowly store the old ones and add new ones as I win them in GE. I never delete them- you never know when you may need it, so I store it. But using a kit on them is a waste since you will win them for free.

DeletedUser36691

Is it possible (or worth it) to upgrade special buildings like "The Ship" from the fall event and "Tholos of Idols" to the next level. I have used a reno and one-up on tholos, but I guess i don't understand. Is there a difference between an Era upgrade and a Level upgrade. If so, how do I obtain a specific level upgrade to up from Lv 2 - Lv 3 Tholos.

DeletedUser31440

Is it possible (or worth it) to upgrade special buildings like "The Ship" from the fall event and "Tholos of Idols" to the next level. I have used a reno and one-up on tholos, but I guess i don't understand. Is there a difference between an Era upgrade and a Level upgrade. If so, how do I obtain a specific level upgrade to up from Lv 2 - Lv 3 Tholos.

Reno & One up kits will change a buildings age/era, not the level of an upgradable building.
Level upgrade kits will change a building's level, and if it is not of your current era will bring that building up to the current era.

Level upgrades, depending on the building, can only be found during the events that the building is rewarded. Some buildings have upgrades available through DC's, most don't and don't expect new ones to be added anytime soon.