• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild rules survey

Cyrus the Adequate

OK, a few questions about guild rules. What do you think are reasonable requirements? Here are a few to start:

> Level 80 Arc / Level 80 Statue of Honor / Level 40 Observatory: The guild needs goods revenue in order to participate in GE/GbG, so this seems reasonable to me...but at what level? Do event buildings that product guild goods offset these levels?

> No sniping guild mates. This one should be obvious.

> Participate in new GB threads. This one seems like just being friendly to other members. Should it be a requirement?

> Participate in the guild's 1.9 threads. Again, this seems like courtesy to other members, to keep the cashflow going

> Minimum GE participation - complete GE3 weekly.

> Minimum GbG participation - minimum 100 battles or negotiations per season. More? Less?

What else? What does the collective forum wisdom think of these?

Sledgie

> Level 80 Arc / Level 80 Statue of Honor / Level 40 Observatory: The guild needs goods revenue in order to participate in GE/GbG, so this seems reasonable to me...but at what level? Do event buildings that product guild goods offset these levels?

- Depends on the guild and the purpose of the guild, also the age of the world. The rule in my guild on my main is a level 80 Arc and have an Obs placed. I feel this is a reasonable requirement. We do offer some leeway to growing players who are actively working on their Arc and it is in the sweet spot or close to 80.

> No sniping guild mates. This one should be obvious.

- This is a definite

> Participate in new GB threads. This one seems like just being friendly to other members. Should it be a requirement?

- This should be encouraged, but it is hard to police. Better to encourage it and do it on the honor system.

> Participate in the guild's 1.9 threads. Again, this seems like courtesy to other members, to keep the cashflow going

- Depends on your guild. Our 1.9s move so fast there is no need for a requirement of this nature

> Minimum GE participation - complete GE3 weekly.

- Again, depends on what demographic of player you are targeting. If you are a competitive guild on an established world, GE3 weekly and GE4 by X day on race weeks is pretty standard.

> Minimum GbG participation - minimum 100 battles or negotiations per season. More? Less?

- 100 advances (100 battles or 50 negotiations) isn't much to ask, but it is a pretty standard minimum just to show that the member is actively playing. Even someone who is RL busy can meet this metric.

What else? What does the collective forum wisdom think of these?

- "Treat other guild members with respect" or some similar wording is important so if you have someone causing problems in the guild with other players you have something you can point to as your reason for discipline. Some guilds say "no drama, period."
- No priming buildings for 1.9 in swap threads is another common rule

In general your guild description and rules set expectations for your guild culture. The description and the actual culture may not match, but ideally it will and can give players looking at your guild an idea of what the guild culture might be.

xivarmy

If you're going to require level 40 Observatory, you may as well require level 60 (the next 20 levels are cheap). But I would suggest not being too firm on the ones other than Arc initially - i.e. allow someone to do the observatory levels *after* joining. The "working on getting there" "minimum levels" might be Arc 100/Observatory 80 if you're a guild that uses quite a bit of guild goods. If you're not that kind of guild, you could probably go as low as "have an arc and working on levelling it" for GE and light GBG.

No sniping guildmates: fine. Most guilds won't bother to say it, but if someone's creating problems in other guildmates GBs, yea they're gone.

Mandatory sticks threads: ew. Some guilds do it. Some people that hate the rule put up with it if the rest of what they guild has to offer is wonderful. The point against it is it encourages stupid decisions like building GBs you have no intention/capacity to level yet, because you get a few levels for free - it's at best a nuisance to make sure everyone is doing what they're supposed to. Leave it voluntary if you want to have it - buildings and players that guildmates *are* excited for will still get plenty of help. Someone who's got "level 1 disease" will get suggested that they level some of what they have before they plant more. And anyone with a level 80 Arc isn't so new as to really need others FPs to level their GB. If you *do* have some people that new, you'd give them better help by getting them cheap Arc prints to level theirs and by giving them more than 1.9 on their Arc than by helping them make a collection of space-wasting level 1-3 GBs :p

1.9 Participation: not a rule (beyond not misusing it - like clearing spots without actually taking them or taking spots without clearing them). People have varying levels of comfort with those threads, along with varying levels of patience to build a bank. As long as you have *enough* people taking spots (and if you have some >80 Arcs that make profit off it, you really shouldn't have a problem with that) it'll be fine if some people don't want to participate as much as you'd hope.

GE participation : either GE4 or meh :p If you care about the competition, you need GE4 done. If you don't care about the competition, you can view unlocking GE as just a guild service. a "GE3" requirement might make sense on a new world for a guild that "will require GE4 eventually" so that people are at least working on their capabilities there.

GBG participation : problematic. 100 encounters are nothing and don't even represent usefulness. If they came from "free fights" they're even just "taking" from other guildmates in a highly active guild. What you really want to encourage is people to use some amount of attrition in the right spots on a regular basis but there's no way to monitor that.

---

The one rule that I find most important and the most common reason I've ever kicked someone from a guild : "Answer messages from leadership". Pretty much anyone who will talk to you you can work out your problems with - and in the rare cases you can't, move on.

xivarmy

Oh one question I forgot to answer:

> Do event buildings that product guild goods offset these levels?

Not well. One SoH/Elephant level is about the same as one GB level. So to produce as much as a Level 80 Observatory would require ~10 Level 8 Statues. Which really should be viewed as an augmentation rather than a base requirement (someone would have to have already done a shitton of GBG to get 10 Level 8 Statues ; which is hard to do until you get into a guild that gives you that opportunity). It might be something like 40 max-level non-GBG buildings that make treasury goods to equal the observatory.

Accordingly if you're going to have strong requirements on treasury production it should stay focused on the GBs. One core point to explain to people arguing this is when a non-GB says "10 treasury goods" it means 2 of each, while when a GB says "10 treasury goods" it means 10 of each!

Ebeondi Asi

The Arc/Obs/ problem can be adjusted to: Entering Guild allowed if you work on getting Arc... or Getting Observatory and leveling them up.
Higher Guilds usually require an Arc 80, but exceptions are made.. Or an observatory to level xx, but Players can join as lke as tey level up Obs at least one level every week..
I know some Guilds prioritize Arc building. Thus let in players ho don't have an Arc, but are wanting to level one up.

Johnny B. Goode

The one rule that I find most important and the most common reason I've ever kicked someone from a guild : "Answer messages from leadership". Pretty much anyone who will talk to you you can work out your problems with - and in the rare cases you can't, move on.
^^^^
THIS!!!!!
When I have led guilds, my number one pet peeve was lack of response to direct messages. That was also my #1 reason for kicking someone without any hesitation (other than waiting a reasonable time for said response).

Ebeondi Asi

Having a 1.9 is all great.
The problem is with players who have a dozen GBs with Guildies points on them and leveling none.
A requirement to level GBs within two days (maybe three days) of placing in a 1.9 thread can be required.
But can be longer if posted as a comment in 1.9 (particularly for high level GBs or new players working on Arc over level 60 may take longer.)
And/or limiting to only one or two GBs allowed to be on the 1.9
Another Guild requires taking a position on other players GB in the 1.9 (if it is open) before placing your GB in the 1.9 (and only skip doing so if you are already on any other Players GBs in the 1.9)

Cyrus the Adequate

GE level 4 weekly, and we
GbG 200 per season
If You have enough Higher Ars add a thread where higher Arc guildmates give full value to any Treasury GB's of members.
200 can be tough if the guild gets into a league over their heads.

In my main city I'm in a smaller but solid guild (top 30), and while we definitely can fight, we just don't have enough players to keep up in Diamond. We end up swapping each week between platinum and diamond; most of us top 1,000 easily in platinum where we can run the board and control the swapping, but get stuck at a few hundred in diamond and just can't get out of our corner to drop buildings.

In another city, I have trouble because of timing; that guild moves so fast at the 4-hour expiration that if you're not in there fighting when the timer expires, you show up a few minutes later and the whole board is blocked and there's nothing left to go after. If I happen to be able to get in during the changeover I can get a hundred or so hits in in minutes, but otherwise it's just not available. That guild has a lottery for GBG players over 250, and I rarely get there, but not for lack of trying.

I get your point, though - guildies need to be contributing at a level appropriate for the rest of the guild.

Ebeondi Asi

Well, if all guilds had these rules, new players would have no place to go.
New palyers tat off in weaker guilds, o a guild created by one of a ew more matue players to eithe use the new players, or help them, and they get to be much more laid back than in the tougher Guilds. those are the places new players can get a foothold.
Eventually hard working new players will realize they need to move to beter Guilds. where the Guild has harder rule.