• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GvG Battles: Determining Relative Strengths

jimakoskx

Hey all,,i am just using this post for Gvg continent map questions instead open a new thread.

Does any body know the answer?
I ve put an army in a sector (paying also some goods)
and i made a few attacks to lower it.

I made a break some hours and now i just saw by coincidence
my squares of army (indisde) to be much of them RED.
-So,,,is it that if i dont do any attacks for somedays (not conquering the sector)
then...... is 'auto' defending...?...
..and i will end up 'loosing' the army (and goods) ?????????????????????

Thank you in advance

Darkest.Knight

For myself, GvG is basically useless and serves no purpose for advancing. Occasionally if I need a few fights to complete an RQ I'll do some for that reason, but for the most part I don't bother.

xivarmy

Hey all,,i am just using this post for Gvg continent map questions instead open a new thread.

Does any body know the answer?
I ve put an army in a sector (paying also some goods)
and i made a few attacks to lower it.

I made a break some hours and now i just saw by coincidence
my squares of army (indisde) to be much of them RED.
-So,,,is it that if i dont do any attacks for somedays (not conquering the sector)
then...... is 'auto' defending...?...
..and i will end up 'loosing' the army (and goods) ?????????????????????

Thank you in advance
What happened is someone else hit that army. A siege army lasts 10 attacks - and will probably be removed as soon as someone notices it (it'll take a single fighter ~30 seconds maybe to drop it). You'll then need to place a new army to continue hitting that sector.

You will almost never be able to take a break and come back to hit more.

jimakoskx

Ah ..ok...Many thanks man...
..ok..i just thought that i will receive some notification..but maybe this happen only on conquered ..
THAaaaaank youuuuuu

xivarmy

One last hint! Never, never, NEVER use attached units to set a siege or for defensive armies! The second you 'blow up that barracks,' POOF, there go your units. (Best advice I ever got when learning GvG - passing along the baton).
This is outright wrong :p Attached units are a very efficient source of units for sieges and defending armies - back long ago when I gave a crap about GvG and event buildings weren't quite so busted I ran a *ton* of barracks for that purpose. They're removed from your barracks when you set them in GvG and you can retrain them immediately. Units already donated to GvG are no longer attached to your barracks and don't care if you blow it up.

xivarmy

I was referring specifically to using attached units and then a player either levels up an era and begins to delete old barracks and whatnot and I believe you probably knew that. It's not bad advice and for someone who clearly presents himself at being new to feature, it's practically a given! How else would a new player even dream that their defensive (or sieging army which becomes one of the defensive armies) would poof into thin air after a rack was destroyed unless someone tells them? Honestly, osmosis is rarely real in any situation and it certainly isn't in this game.
Deleting barracks still does nothing to already donated units. If you have attached units available, you should donate them first. Always. Frequently back in the day when people were *about to delete* their barracks, they'd ask if any defending armies were needed first - because if they don't donate them, they still disappear. But if they do donate them, they stick around as a defending army.

Not having attached units in the first place is understandable in modern times. But there's *zero* reason to avoid donating attached units.

Johnny B. Goode

I was referring specifically to using attached units and then a player either levels up an era and begins to delete old barracks and whatnot and I believe you probably knew that. It's not bad advice and for someone who clearly presents himself at being new to feature, it's practically a given! How else would a new player even dream that their defensive (or sieging army which becomes one of the defensive armies) would poof into thin air after a rack was destroyed unless someone tells them? Honestly, osmosis is rarely real in any situation and it certainly isn't in this game.

There are dozens upon dozens of reasons that players delete barracks and their accompanying units right along with them.

At least if he knows that only unattached units will remain in their slots provided they aren't sieged to death, he can make an informed choice about whether he wants to use attached/unattached units. Good grief.
@xivarmy is right in saying that they do not go "poof". When you donate/place an attached unit in a defense army in GvG (or a siege army), or in your defense army in PVP Arena, it automatically becomes unattached and that slot in the barracks becomes open and available for you to train a replacement unit. How do you not know this? Someone fed you a load of bull years ago and you've never noticed that it's incorrect? Test it yourself. I just did simply to verify that it hasn't changed in the years since I last played GvG with attached units in my army.

Pericles the Lion

@xivarmy is right in saying that they do not go "poof". When you donate/place an attached unit in a defense army in GvG (or a siege army), or in your defense army in PVP Arena, it automatically becomes unattached and that slot in the barracks becomes open and available for you to train a replacement unit. How do you not know this? Someone fed you a load of bull years ago and you've never noticed that it's incorrect? Test it yourself. I just did simply to verify that it hasn't changed in the years since I last played GvG with attached units in my army.
I don't know about GvG but this is not how it works for the defending army in PvP Arena. If the defending army contains an attached unit the unit is not removed from the barracks units and any attempt to delete that barracks is met with a pop-up saying that the barracks cannot be deleted because there is a unit assigned to the PvP defending army.

xivarmy

I have tested it although I admit that it's been some time back so who knows if that was "fixed" in the interim? Only Inno knows. Where is your source? I'm not at all interested in being "right," I am interested in dispersing correct information to other players whether they be new or not to the game. This isn't about ego and I'll happily retract my statement if I knew that it was incorrect.
The source is that's the way it's always been. And it's easy to test if you still have barracks somewhere. Take a sector. place a defense of attached units. Delete the barracks. Oh look it still has the defense. Main problem with the test is finding a world where you can do it without a lot of work to fit in barracks you otherwise wouldn't have anymore :p

I do have one world with a few barracks, and no boost yet - i'll see if i can get a sector to show you screenshots of the process.

xivarmy

Yup, found a 1-fight sector to win.

1688153005197.png

Initial siege was 8 attached archers. Won the 1 fight with 8 attached ballistas. Which i will now add to the second defending army:

1688153065481.png

Picture of a barracks which was full prior to this:

1688153117508.png

City before deletion:

1688153146625.pngC

City after deletion:

1688153192045.png

And finally, looking back at the sector again:

1688153238460.png

It has *always* worked like this as long as I've played (launch of Langendorn)

jimakoskx

Advise of Mor-Rioghain..is indeed a good advise for noobs like me...
Who would have thought...EVEN if like xivarmy saying
i indeed NOT using un-attched unitis and just build 2 iron era -79 barracks
plus one that i had ...
for that reason..

And...just toi tell my story i did the following.
I had 3*4=12 soldier (simple iron)
And i wanted to put 2 from each...(and 2 heavies from -144)
So...here i think the trick...
a)put out all defence
b)put in defence the 8 first/default soldiers
c)put in siege 2 soldiers
d)throw from defence 2 soldiers
e)put in siege 2 ..
f)again d + e
and thats it...2 soldier form each..+2 legionares and
now all barracks need 2 productions!
----
Anyway...you all have right ....even Dursland ..because i really dont see any benefit for a small guild...
(beyond that i am playing the game and i like now to do GvG!!)

Screenshot_3.jpg

jimakoskx

"It has *always* worked like this as long as I've played (launch of Langendorn)"
So finally what happened after barracks deletion?

Exist or disappered the defending units of sector?

jimakoskx

a)put out all defence
b)put in defence the 8 first/default soldiers
c)put in siege 2 soldiers
d)throw from defence 2 soldiers
e)put in siege 2 ..
f)again d + e
and thats it...2 soldier form each..+2 legionares and
now all barracks need 2 productions!

The algo...may need some correction...but somehow like this !!!

xivarmy

"It has *always* worked like this as long as I've played (launch of Langendorn)"
So finally what happened after barracks deletion?

Exist or disappered the defending units of sector?
As shown in the screenshot, the defending armies remain.

Johnny B. Goode

I don't know about GvG but this is not how it works for the defending army in PvP Arena. If the defending army contains an attached unit the unit is not removed from the barracks units and any attempt to delete that barracks is met with a pop-up saying that the barracks cannot be deleted because there is a unit assigned to the PvP defending army.
Yeah, you're right. I don't have any barracks in any world where I do PVP Arena, so I got lazy and didn't test it.*
I have tested it although I admit that it's been some time back so who knows if that was "fixed" in the interim? Only Inno knows. Where is your source? I'm not at all interested in being "right," I am interested in dispersing correct information to other players whether they be new or not to the game. This isn't about ego and I'll happily retract my statement if I knew that it was incorrect.
I don't know how you could have tested it and still got it wrong. It's always been this way. Never different. Never "fixed" to be the way it is now. And it's not about ego with me, either. I am interested in correcting wrong information when I see it. And I'm okay with admitting I'm wrong sometimes, too, as evidenced by the first part of this post.

*EDIT: I have now tested PVP Arena with an attached Rogue. Attempted to store the Rogue Den and got the exact message @Pericles the Lion mentioned. I did not doubt him, but I always test things for myself if I can.

Last edited: