• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] How do you guys get so many goods, coins, and supplies?

DeletedUser35712

So I was looking over the holy alabaster thread that started it all, and I saw that many of you have millions of coins and supplies in Iron Age already, and thousands of goods. I just started in the Iron Age roughly 2 and a half weeks ago, and I'm only have 330k coins, 249.8k supplies, and only have this for goods
4leXLsY.png

This is my town according to the FoE city planner:
qUld0yw.png

And in-game
WqOKoUf.png

What am I doing wrong?

Jern2017

The key is to gather more supplies and coins than you spend.

People who "camp" in a certain age will always have more than those who just pass through an age.

I've been in the PE since January and do not plan on progressing until the end of 2018/start of 2019. I have 2 production buildings (also the Lighthouse of Alexandria, which boosts the supplies production) and 0 residential buildings, as I have the Innovation Tower. I get my coins and supplies from special and Great Buildings. I barely spend anything, except when producing goods or paying coins/supplies for certain quests.

DeletedUser26965

Yeah some people have literally been in IA for years so that is the main reason so you're not doing anything wrong so to speak. CF and recurring quests help too.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser33179

Looks like you're doing fairly well with coins/supplies for only 2 1/2 weeks. Goods are very low though. Take your time, stay where you are & keep building/stockpiling.

Suggestions to consider:
1-You have 11 military buildings. Do you honestly use all of them each day? If not (such as used for 1st 2-3 days of GE only), then tear them down for rest of days & use the newly obtained space/population to place extra goods buildings for remainder of week. Rebuild them again a day before GE starts - spearfighters barrack only takes seconds to build & get units (so wait til morning of GE), others will take the day to max units. You have plenty of coin/supplies to afford this. If you like to attack/plunder, then obviously keep some of them. However, you shouldn't need quite as many for that, I don't think, especially in iron age. Troops are needed for the occasional Daily Challenge quest. Whether you want to keep unused troops for that aspect is based on your other priorities at any time - there's no penalty for skipping a DC. If you haven't been doing GE, then do so fighting &/or negotiating - even at a very very basic of level of city progress, everyone should be able to make it thru level 1 at the very least - with your military commitment, I think you could do level 2 as well despite low attack/defense from only Zeus. From GE, you'll win unattached units. Use them for your city defense so you won't need all military buildings constantly (& eventually for GE too, once you win enough).

2- Great Buildings.... Keep leveling each of them. With higher Babel, you'll eventually free up some space with less housing needs. LoA obviously helps your supplies + gives goods. Oracle is fine for some happiness I think early in game. But avoid leveling it, as you're going to outgrow the need for it much sooner than you think. I deleted mine in 1st city once in IA & never built it in my other cities - got along just fine. many event buildings also provide happiness along with other traits, which will help in getting rid of happiness-only stuff. Zeus is for fighting, of course. Another lower age GB that's of great help is SMB, boosting coins + gives goods. For fighting, CoA & CDM will be needed. As you gain experience, you'll find other higher era GBs you can get (trading for them with FPs), that will vastly improve whatever play style you find to your liking.

3- I didn't add your buildings up, but just in case - make sure when the 2 triumphal arches & 2 taverns are motivated that you aren't massively over the 120% happiness threshold. Basically, make sure you actually need that many. If now or again 1 of them isn't motivated (which doubles the happy) when time to collect & happiness is too low, you can always use a self-aid kit on it. So, don't calculate their happy based on unmotivated numbers only. Again multi-purpose event buildings you win along the way will help immensely.

4- Keep spending your tavern silver to upgrade all aspects of your tavern. But the occasional purchase of coin or supply boosts can be of help. For only 200-250 silver, you can get a 4hr 20% boost (longer duration ones provide bigger boosts, but at too high a cost to the detriment of incomplete tavern early on in game).

5- Get familiar with the recurring quests. You get them to by aborting all the side quests - don't trudge thru the side quests thinking they have to be done, they're of no value. The recurring quests are of great value - giving you coins, supplies, goods, & FP packs. Set it to the coin-collecting quest when collecting houses & coin-GBs & aiding. Same thing for supplies. Set it to FP-spending quest when spending FPs (can even have it for last quest of day, spend your available FPs, then spend the morning's FPs to complete it. Unlocking research in tech tree, do it in 2's to complete that quest (you can put down the FPs needed for each available tech ahead of time, just don't unlock them on individual basis)

DeletedUser35712

Looks like you're doing fairly well with coins/supplies for only 2 1/2 weeks. Goods are very low though. Take your time, stay where you are & keep building/stockpiling.

Suggestions to consider:
1-You have 11 military buildings. Do you honestly use all of them each day? If not (such as used for 1st 2-3 days of GE only), then tear them down for rest of days & use the newly obtained space/population to place extra goods buildings for remainder of week. Rebuild them again a day before GE starts - spearfighters barrack only takes seconds to build & get units (so wait til morning of GE), others will take the day to max units. You have plenty of coin/supplies to afford this. If you like to attack/plunder, then obviously keep some of them. However, you shouldn't need quite as many for that, I don't think, especially in iron age. Troops are needed for the occasional Daily Challenge quest. Whether you want to keep unused troops for that aspect is based on your other priorities at any time - there's no penalty for skipping a DC. If you haven't been doing GE, then do so fighting &/or negotiating - even at a very very basic of level of city progress, everyone should be able to make it thru level 1 at the very least - with your military commitment, I think you could do level 2 as well despite low attack/defense from only Zeus. From GE, you'll win unattached units. Use them for your city defense so you won't need all military buildings constantly (& eventually for GE too, once you win enough).

2- Great Buildings.... Keep leveling each of them. With higher Babel, you'll eventually free up some space with less housing needs. LoA obviously helps your supplies + gives goods. Oracle is fine for some happiness I think early in game. But avoid leveling it, as you're going to outgrow the need for it much sooner than you think. I deleted mine in 1st city once in IA & never built it in my other cities - got along just fine. many event buildings also provide happiness along with other traits, which will help in getting rid of happiness-only stuff. Zeus is for fighting, of course. Another lower age GB that's of great help is SMB, boosting coins + gives goods. For fighting, CoA & CDM will be needed. As you gain experience, you'll find other higher era GBs you can get (trading for them with FPs), that will vastly improve whatever play style you find to your liking.

3- I didn't add your buildings up, but just in case - make sure when the 2 triumphal arches & 2 taverns are motivated that you aren't massively over the 120% happiness threshold. Basically, make sure you actually need that many. If now or again 1 of them isn't motivated (which doubles the happy) when time to collect & happiness is too low, you can always use a self-aid kit on it. So, don't calculate their happy based on unmotivated numbers only. Again multi-purpose event buildings you win along the way will help immensely.

4- Keep spending your tavern silver to upgrade all aspects of your tavern. But the occasional purchase of coin or supply boosts can be of help. For only 200-250 silver, you can get a 4hr 20% boost (longer duration ones provide bigger boosts, but at too high a cost to the detriment of incomplete tavern early on in game).

5- Get familiar with the recurring quests. You get them to by aborting all the side quests - don't trudge thru the side quests thinking they have to be done, they're of no value. The recurring quests are of great value - giving you coins, supplies, goods, & FP packs. Set it to the coin-collecting quest when collecting houses & coin-GBs & aiding. Same thing for supplies. Set it to FP-spending quest when spending FPs (can even have it for last quest of day, spend your available FPs, then spend the morning's FPs to complete it. Unlocking research in tech tree, do it in 2's to complete that quest (you can put down the FPs needed for each available tech ahead of time, just don't unlock them on individual basis)

Thank you so much Clara!

I forgot to clarify (Pun intended) that I was doing a goods swap to get an Alcatraz, so that's why my goods supply was so low.

The reason why I have a bunch of military buildings is so I could plunder people daily, and then negotiate with them so they have to give me a good number of forge points to stop the plundering. Right now I'm pulling ~35 extra forge points a day from my hood members, but I still have a couple of hoodies who haven't replied back to my requests for negotiation. Would those buildings still be worth it?

DeletedUser33179

Thank you so much Clara!

I forgot to clarify (Pun intended) that I was doing a goods swap to get an Alcatraz, so that's why my goods supply was so low.

The reason why I have a bunch of military buildings is so I could plunder people daily, and then negotiate with them so they have to give me a good number of forge points to stop the plundering. Right now I'm pulling ~35 extra forge points a day from my hood members, but I still have a couple of hoodies who haven't replied back to my requests for negotiation. Would those buildings still be worth it?

Pay attention to exactly which troops you typically use the most for attacking + how many you actually lose in battle. You may find that you don't need that many military buildings to do a thorough job terrorizing your hood. Good for you regarding Traz, it's a wonderful GB. Once you win a Rogue hideout, you'll be well on your way to fighting stardom.

As a plundering option next hood rotation, considering negotiating a hood fp tax only for those players with who have little to "give" (coins/supplies mostly). Attack daily for a while those few with several goods buildings. Should be able to restock your goods much quicker - can always negotiate afterwards.

Incidentally, kinda surprised you get that many hoodies giving you FPs daily. Me? I'd hate to have a plunderer get too lazy. Very unhealthy for you. Would make you try to earn what you want (if you can)

DeletedUser35712

Pay attention to exactly which troops you typically use the most for attacking + how many you actually lose in battle. You may find that you don't need that many military buildings to do a thorough job terrorizing your hood. Good for you regarding Traz, it's a wonderful GB. Once you win a Rogue hideout, you'll be well on your way to fighting stardom.

As a plundering option next hood rotation, considering negotiating a hood fp tax only for those players with who have little to "give" (coins/supplies mostly). Attack daily for a while those few with several goods buildings. Should be able to restock your goods much quicker - can always negotiate afterwards.

Incidentally, kinda surprised you get that many hoodies giving you FPs daily. Me? I'd hate to have a plunderer get too lazy. Very unhealthy for you. Would make you try to earn what you want (if you can)
I only used my soldiers to beat this one guy in my hood who has EMA heavy cavalry, but I don't use the barracks for anything else. I guess my soldier barracks needs to go, and be replaced by something else. I use either 8 archers, 4 archers and 4 ballista, or 8 ballista for the rest of my hoodies.
My hood mostly has Bronze Age goods buildings though. I don't know if they're that valuable.

DeletedUser33179

I only used my soldiers to beat this one guy in my hood who has EMA heavy cavalry, but I don't use the barracks for anything else. I guess my soldier barracks needs to go, and be replaced by something else. I use either 8 archers, 4 archers and 4 ballista, or 8 ballista for the rest of my hoodies.
My hood mostly has Bronze Age goods buildings though. I don't know if they're that valuable.

You need 6 archer ranges for that? How bad are you at fighting, needing to have so many to spare ;)

Speaking only for myself, who started out fighting 5 months ago truly stinking - an awful, putrid smell - but gradually improving via GE practice & forum studying... I found I liked my heavy or fast units way more than the long ranged ballista. Would save you some valuable city space keeping 2-3 soldier barracks & dumping the 2 big ballista camps instead. You can win unattached ballistas in GE instead. Spearfighter camp should get tossed for sure.

Edit: if you like spearfighters for GE 1st level (I did early on) - very useful/effective against those BA units & Only takes seconds to replenish - then build it for that very early GE only. Replace it with something else for remainder of week

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser33179

As for goods to plunder, I agree that the bronze age ones aren't worth it. Would stick to IA ones when looking goods. You'll need goods in varying amounts from 3 ages below you at each Age. But trading down IA goods in market for BA ones is best option.

DeletedUser35712

You need 6 archer ranges for that? How bad are you at fighting, needing to have so many to spare ;)

Speaking only for myself, who started out fighting 5 months ago truly stinking - an awful, putrid smell - but gradually improving via GE practice & forum studying... I found I liked my heavy or fast units way more than the long ranged ballista. Would save you some valuable city space keeping 2-3 soldier barracks & dumping the 2 big ballista camps instead. You can win unattached ballistas in GE instead. Spearfighter camp should get tossed for sure.
I lose 1-2 archers for battles where cavalry move too conservatively that archer or light unit support are nearby. Usually, I don't lose any troops, although a few might get hurt

DeletedUser35712

I also fight in GE from levels 1-3 in one and a half days (I buy attempts with medals), and there are a couple of losses near the end of GE level 2 and end of level 3

DeletedUser33179

I also fight in GE from levels 1-3 in one and a half days (I buy attempts with medals), and there are a couple of losses near the end of GE level 2 and end of level 3

Terrific. With all the unattached units you're winning, you should likely be able to cycle thru them to use against hoodies (use them, once injured much then trade out for fresh unit). That'd leave you in need of whatever military buildings only during GE days - if you want to you can use the space/population for other things for remainder of week if you're looking to sqeezing everything you can out of your city.

Lots of folks seem to keep all they're military buildings all the time despite not using them each day, but would appear to be at the expense of goods production, etc. Obviously it & everything else in game is a balancing act - for something gained, something is lost.

With Traz + rogue hideout (& CoA! CDM), you'll not need any other military buildings (unless you want lots of champions for some reason, which you could have Traz make then store that building again). Unattached GE units will be plenty for all your fighting. All that will free up city space/population for other needs (despite Traz's huge size)

DeletedUser35712

Edit: if you like spearfighters for GE 1st level (I did early on) - very useful/effective against those BA units & Only takes seconds to replenish - then build it for that very early GE only. Replace it with something else for remainder of week
Yeah, probably going to get rid of the spearfighters barracks. I just left them there for a potential quest to recruit units to show up. I'm going to keep the ballista camps because I have been unlucky over the past weeks and never got unattached ballistas from a battle commander's chest or GE.

DeletedUser35475

With Traz + rogue hideout (& CoA! CDM), you'll not need any other military buildings (unless you want lots of champions for some reason, which you could have Traz make then store that building again). Unattached GE units will be plenty for all your fighting. All that will free up city space/population for other needs (despite Traz's huge size)

I haven't had a military building, including Rogue Hideouts, since the Iron Age unless I need to have one to finish a quest. Like you say you can get all the troops you need from GE and if you have a temple you will get rogues from that too in addition to quests. There doesn't really seem to be a reason to ever build any at all unless a quest you must complete requires it.

DeletedUser33179

I haven't had a military building, including Rogue Hideouts, since the Iron Age unless I need to have one to finish a quest. Like you say you can get all the troops you need from GE and if you have a temple you will get rogues from that too in addition to quests. There doesn't really seem to be a reason to ever build any at all unless a quest you must complete requires it.

Have you been able to fight thru all of GE4 levels since IA, consistently winning more units than you lose? If so, what minimum attack/defense is required for that to begin with (as obviously need more as progress in ages since GE units become stronger in spots over time)?

DeletedUser33179

Yeah, probably going to get rid of the spearfighters barracks. I just left them there for a potential quest to recruit units to show up. I'm going to keep the ballista camps because I have been unlucky over the past weeks and never got unattached ballistas from a battle commander's chest or GE.

Lol. Figures having bad luck winning one of your preferred units.

Overall, you are doing fine. Changing nothing else in your game & staying in IA for another 2-3 weeks, you should double your current total coins/supplies & get a fair amount of goods. So imagine what a few tweaks here & there will add up to in that same span of time.

DeletedUser35475

Have you been able to fight thru all of GE4 levels since IA, consistently winning more units than you lose? If so, what minimum attack/defense is required for that to begin with (as obviously need more as progress in ages since GE units become stronger in spots over time)?

No I usually only fight through level 1 and negotiate the other levels. I am not sure if the age changes the boosts to the army you face. Someone who fights more can better answer that. I'm not a big fighter but I do occasionally and I do every level that is open in my guilds so I get 12 - 24 units a week. If you don't lose many units you end up with a pretty big army after a month.