• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

HTML5 issues

DeletedUser35256

So I just finally put on that HTML5 thing and I have to keep refreshing my browser why??? Its annoying, I had to put it on cause I updated my flash I think (lol) little clueless to these kinds of things any who it was running real slow until I clicked on this HTML5 but now I find my self constantly refreshing or when I'm typing it freezes up for a while. When I add new guild members to threads I can add them to one thread then I have to refresh again and then I'm able to add them to the rest! Anyone else have this problem via chrome?

DeletedUser26120

I've moved your post into it's own thread, so it can get the proper attention.

HTML5 was only recently implemented, I'm sure it will continue to receive improvements before Flash version is phased out.

I wonder if you've tried Opera? I don't know about HTML5 version specifically but have heard others say FoE runs better in it.

I don't have much experience using it so will let others reply - maybe some have good suggestions.

DeletedUser

I switched over to HTML5 as soon as it was available and have had no issues, and I use Chrome exclusively. Is your Chrome (and your system) fully updated? Do you have add-ons on your browser? (I know that can be an issue. Unfortunately, someone smarter than me in that area would have to advise you on how to check/fix that particular issue.)

DeletedUser26120

@Stephen Longshanks could you also share your system specs?

I know FoE using Flash can take up as many as 2 gigabytes of RAM. My old PC at 4gb wasn't cutting it. I have 7gb usable now and it runs much better.

I was waiting for them to refine the HTML5 version more before I switched over. I didn't like the stuttery battle animations/movements.

Anyway I want to be sure it's not your system causing the slowdown so could you share your specs too @AVeljacic?

DeletedUser

HP laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5010U CPU @ 2.10 GHz
Installed RAM: 6.00 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Browser: Chrome Version 69.0.3497.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Browser info also says it is "up to date".
(Would have answered sooner, but I was at the hospital all day so I was on mobile. Wife had knee replacement surgery.)

DeletedUser26120

My apologies, I've been busy too. :)

Original poster: any chance you can revert back to Flash and see if that fixes things?

I'd wait a bit longer on the HTML5 version, it is definitely not done yet - and if it were they'd remove Flash.

DeletedUser36315

I had noticed a lot of issues with using Firefox as my browser. I would have to refresh the screen all the time. I have started using Chrome with Flash, and the game performance is better than using HTM5.

Agent327

I had noticed a lot of issues with using Firefox as my browser. I would have to refresh the screen all the time. I have started using Chrome with Flash, and the game performance is better than using HTM5.

I have absolutely no problems with Firefox and Flash.

Cycloppps

I've had lots of issues in the past with firefox and flash. Chrome with flash works great almost no problems. Html5 have issues loading message list and similar windows for GB etc. Not right away but after player for maybe 10 min. And overall slower which gets worse over time. Went back to flash. Might try html5 again in a month or so.

DeletedUser14496

I've had lots of issues in the past with firefox and flash. Chrome with flash works great almost no problems. Html5 have issues loading message list and similar windows for GB etc. Not right away but after player for maybe 10 min. And overall slower which gets worse over time. Went back to flash. Might try html5 again in a month or so.

I'm having the same issues in Chrome. Worked flawlessly with Flash, now same issues as above with loading message list, attachment windows and similar windows for GB etc. And the same timing... Not right away but after playing for maybe 5 - 10 min.
Actually if I open a swap thread it works fine the first time. When I try a second thread either the attachment window comes up blank or the swap thread refreshes to add to the previous poster and that window comes up blank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volodya

I'm having the same issues in Chrome. Worked flawlessly with Flash, now same issues as above with loading message list, attachment windows and similar windows for GB etc. And the same timing... Not right away but after playing for maybe 5 - 10 min.
Actually if I open a swap thread it works fine the first time. When I try a second thread either the attachment window comes up blank or the swap thread refreshes to add to the previous poster and that window comes up blank.
I suspect the recent Chrome update is at fault; at any rate I had no problem before it. Switching to Firefox (using HTML with both) solved it for me.

Arya66

Same thing for me...

DeletedUser24502

I'd been using Chrome/Flash since I started playing FoE with almost no problems. A couple days ago, after restarting Chrome, the game became unplayable. After having to "allow" flash, my town flashes ,literally, and sometimes all you see is a tiny square (of town). So I tried the HTML5 version. It's extremely buggy. Text doesn't show up in message center, when looking at great buildings list, etc. I contacted support, and was told it's Chromes fault. Gotta call BS on this one. Chrome is one of the most popular browsers. Please Inno, stop making excuses and get you act together. This is your bread and butter.

DeletedUser25795

I posted this too.

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/flash-v-html-crashing.24033/

Basically I had to revert back to the Flash version to get the game working again.

This new and improved, long awaited, super duper, this will fix all your problems, sorry we cant answer your problems as we are busy working on a new HTML5 version of the game, is so buggy for me.

Throughout 2017 I kept reporting various bugs. And each time the answer was " wait until next year when the HTML5 comes out this will fix the bugs". I am still waiting..... :)

If you want you can go to Settings >>> Enable HTML5 Client and un-tick the box. When you next start the game just select "Flash" version. If this is worse then tick that box again to go back to HTML5 version.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser26120

I've heard people having good results with Opera if anyone's still having issues.

Graviton

I've heard people having good results with Opera if anyone's still having issues.

I use Opera. The game loads slowly and is slow when collecting but otherwise performs okay. I'm still not sure if my problem is the game or my PC.

DeletedUser26579

I've had these issues and tracked down what's happening.

If you Chrome > More Tools > Task Manager, you can see that when using HTML5, the Forge of Empires process keeps using more and more memory -- so, presumably there is a memory leak.

The symptoms would be that it would slow down over time. How quickly it slows down will depend on how much free memory you have.