• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

I LOVE playing Forge of Empires

Dursland

It's a bit slow paced for my taste but it's a lot of fun for sure. It has just enough to keep you coming back. I started anew in Dilmun and happy where I'm at after first event.

Johnny B. Goode

I used to love playing FoE. Then it succumbed to the cultural need for more, more, more and faster, faster, faster. Now I can stay away for days at a time and it doesn't bother me. I can't stand to be in a guild with other players because it's all about "maximizing" crap in some and in others it's either inactive players or clueless ones. The game I learned to love 7+ years ago doesn't exist anymore. It's sad, really. I'm sure that those who came along later love the game as it is now. I don't. At some future point (getting closer every day, it seems) I will probably just delete it from my devices and never look back. And I don't think that there's anything Inno could do at this point to change that.

Oswyn the noble

I used to love playing FoE. Then it succumbed to the cultural need for more, more, more and faster, faster, faster. Now I can stay away for days at a time and it doesn't bother me. I can't stand to be in a guild with other players because it's all about "maximizing" crap in some and in others it's either inactive players or clueless ones. The game I learned to love 7+ years ago doesn't exist anymore. It's sad, really. I'm sure that those who came along later love the game as it is now. I don't. At some future point (getting closer every day, it seems) I will probably just delete it from my devices and never look back. And I don't think that there's anything Inno could do at this point to change that.
I have to confess, after playing for 3 years sometimes i feel less of playing. I take long breaks to focus on other things. Because there are many issues in RL that distracts me from playing. I dont know what the future with foe will be like in a year or 2. For now ill continue with the game and enjoy it

Emberguard

The game I learned to love 7+ years ago doesn't exist anymore. It's sad, really. I'm sure that those who came along later love the game as it is now. I don't. At some future point (getting closer every day, it seems) I will probably just delete it from my devices and never look back. And I don't think that there's anything Inno could do at this point to change that.
To some extent I agree, mechanically it's a "different" game and it may no longer be what you're interested in.

However, had the game remained the same from 7 years ago we likely would have the same or similar issue of waning interest in the game in those that have been here longer. Maybe it'd have happened at a different speed, but fact is if we're constantly doing the same thing day after the day eventually we'd get bored of it. And this game was made initially to be played in shorter bursts each day than the current version would favour

I have the original version of some games I grew up on that I've played a similar amount of time as Forge of Empires. Every single game that I've played for years I've also gotten bored of or find less interesting than when I first started playing them. Forge of Empires is a good game, but it's inevitable that one day everyone that is currently playing will get bored of it

xivarmy

To some extent I agree, mechanically it's a "different" game and it may no longer be what you're interested in.

However, had the game remained the same from 7 years ago we likely would have the same or similar issue of waning interest in the game in those that have been here longer. Maybe it'd have happened at a different speed, but fact is if we're constantly doing the same thing day after the day eventually we'd get bored of it. And this game was made initially to be played in shorter bursts each day than the current version would favour

I have the original version of some games I grew up on that I've played a similar amount of time as Forge of Empires. Every single game that I've played for years I've also gotten bored of or find less interesting than when I first started playing them. Forge of Empires is a good game, but it's inevitable that one day everyone that is currently playing will get bored of it
Change is necessary. But I think there were some instances where they lacked the foresight to see the impact of some changes that moved the game down this road. Some of them they might not change - others they might.

i.e. while we obviously couldn't just have SoKs forever, we probably didn't need to leap forward quite as fast as we did - starting with the level 2 cherry garden in particular.

while the arc is a powerful and interesting concept, it probably should've been tuned a little weaker so that the "sweet spot" on buildings wouldn't be quite so big an anomaly.

while GBG was a much needed feature, they probably should've predicted the necessity to limit the effect of siege camps so that it wouldn't be a problem to be dealt with (or not) later.

Of course in hindsight it's easy to make these criticisms ; but much of this is things you'd expect a professional game designer to think through.

Emberguard

But I think there were some instances where they lacked the foresight to see the impact of some changes that moved the game down this road
Oh definitely. There were some things that could have been done differently or better.

while GBG was a much needed feature, they probably should've predicted the necessity to limit the effect of siege camps so that it wouldn't be a problem to be dealt with (or not) later.
One thing that made Siege Camps so powerful is their ability to outright nullify Traps. In effect, it completely removed any strategy that involved countering a Siege Camp purely because there's no way to counter it.

Now any changes are having to contend with a already established meta that was based on Siege Camps being the only viable option

85gt

It used to be a better game in some aspects, now Inno has made a mess of it, got us all chasing our tails on Att/Def % then they take away its effectiveness like the now up to 35% keen eye that can be used to AI advantage. we have dumb troops Inno smart troops, then dealing with all the Scripts in battle and the countless Alts the scripts are used on. The still messed up GBG, should have went ahead with the cap at 70%, the game has lost its luster

Ebeondi Asi

All the complaints above, the conditions mentioned I see as making the game more complex, and more interesting.

The most interesting thing I read (between the lines) is... no matter what, folks complain. Good bad indifferent changes, complaining has become the main problem!! (same in real life it seems)
We all have become the Princess in the story of the Princess and the Pea. No matter how minor the irritaton, the irritation is the only thing dominating thought!
So I have decided Forget that!! There are a million things I enjoy about playing Forge of Empires, and very few small things less enjoyable. But enjoying it is far greater than the trivial things I'm not so happy about. So again I say I love the game, and enjoy playing it. Whoo Hoo!!!!

Johnny B. Goode

All the complaints above, the conditions mentioned I see as making the game more complex, and more interesting.

The most interesting thing I read (between the lines) is... no matter what, folks complain. Good bad indifferent changes, complaining has become the main problem!! (same in real life it seems)
We all have become the Princess in the story of the Princess and the Pea. No matter how minor the irritaton, the irritation is the only thing dominating thought!
So I have decided Forget that!! There are a million things I enjoy about playing Forge of Empires, and very few small things less enjoyable. But enjoying it is far greater than the trivial things I'm not so happy about. So again I say I love the game, and enjoy playing it. Whoo Hoo!!!!
As I said, those who came along much later in the game's history probably love it as it is. None of the stuff I object to in the game is "minor irritation". The game has fundamentally changed over the last 7+ years. Dismiss it as "complaining" if you want. I am just stating the facts of my situation in relation to the current iteration of FoE. I don't expect or even care if the things I don't like get addressed. The game has gone too far down the present road to ever go back. It reminds me of when I became unable to play the Windows 95 era CD games. Nothing to be done about it. Maybe you could look at my posts in this thread as more of a lament of what once was and will never be again.

Johnny B. Goode

If you think Forge of Empires is fun to play and enjoyable.. and tell yourself that, Foe will be enjoyable and fun to play, for you...
On the other hand if you constantly tell yourself Forge of Empires sucks and is a pain in the ass to play... then Foe will be just that for you.
Totally your choice.
(The power of positive thinking)
Yeah, that sounds great...except it doesn't work here, or in real life. Many things do not depend on "the power of positive thinking". A negative opinion of something is sometimes prompted by that thing having actual negative aspects. And no amount of "positive thinking" will change those aspects.

xivarmy

They didn't make the game more complex, they made it more straightforward.

Time long gone you had to balance a lot of aspects to make a strong city. And could've had vigorous debate on the merits of investing in this GB vs that one past level 10.

Now you level an arc, use the arc to level every other GB you might be interested in to 60+ where it's substantially less interesting to decide which ones are going further next, use power-creeped event buildings & rewards from new features, and trivialize all aspects of it within a year.

While there's still a few nuances left, they only really matter near the start of a city. Because you'll have left challenging city-building content in the dust before too long.

Ebeondi Asi

Hah ha ha! You guys are hilarious, Twisting it around.. I am not Pangloss declaring this is the best of all possible worlds. Nowhere am I claiming you should stick your head in the sand and sing Kumbya all day. But it is totally true the nearly endless negatives floating around here suck. and it is primarily a cultural phenomenon. As if complaining is the only way to communicate now days.
Debbie Downer should not be your role model, but for too many actually is. LOL I believe I and most of you (aside from J.B.G. who may be a lost cause) can realize this.
so
I want to again say how much fun it is to Play Forge of Empires. !!!! :)
:)

Last edited:

Graviton

Yeah, that sounds great...except it doesn't work here, or in real life. Many things do not depend on "the power of positive thinking". A negative opinion of something is sometimes prompted by that thing having actual negative aspects. And no amount of "positive thinking" will change those aspects.

You can't control "negative aspects" of something else, the only thing you can control is your perception and your attitude. Ebeondi is correct in that respect. And yes it does work in real life.

Johnny B. Goode

Hah ha ha! You guys are hilarious, Twisting it around.. I am not Pangloss declaring this is the best of all possible worlds. Nowhere am I claiming you should stick your head in the sand and sing Kumbya all day. But it is totally true the nearly endless negatives floating around here suck. and it is primarily a cultural phenomenon. As if complaining is the only way to communicate now days.
Debbie Downer should not be your role model, but for too many actually is. LOL I believe I and most of you (aside from J.B.G. who may be a lost cause) can realize this.
so
I want to again say how much fun it is to Play Forge of Empires. !!!! :)
:)
Nobody is characterizing your posts that way except you. And "Debbie Downer" is not my role model. I rarely complain about the game itself. The only reason I posted in this thread was to present the flip side of the Johnny come lately "FoE is wonderful" perspective. I don't expect you to appreciate, or even understand, the perspective of someone who has played this game through many sweeping changes. And I have stated twice that people like you, who learned the game after most of those changes, probably love it the way it is. But your view that my opinion is the result of "negative thinking", or a "Debbie Downer" attitude, is insulting and shows a lack of the ability to see beyond your own little bubble. Your attack on my opinion of the game was uncalled for and not appreciated.

You can't control "negative aspects" of something else, the only thing you can control is your perception and your attitude. Ebeondi is correct in that respect. And yes it does work in real life.
No, it does not. Positive thinking does not change the negative aspects of anything. If something is intrinsically not enjoyable, positive thinking will not change that. There are some things in life that can be more enjoyable/less unbearable with a positive attitude, but not everything. And it is insulting for someone with a limited perspective (such as Ebeondi in this case) to say that another's opinion is merely the result of "negative thinking."

Graviton

No, it does not. Positive thinking does not change the negative aspects of anything.

That's not what was said, but I know you need something to argue about. ;) So, try this on:

"Negative" and "positive" are based upon perspective. Since you can change your perspective then yes, even the "negative" aspects of something can be effectively changed by altering your own perception of them. They don't literally change, but what was once a negative can be viewed as something other than negative.

But you knew that was what was meant.

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

That's not what was said, but I know you need something to argue about. ;) So, try this on:

"Negative" and "positive" are based upon perspective. Since you can change your perspective then yes, even the "negative" aspects of something can be effectively changed by altering your own perception of them. They don't literally change, but what was once a negative can be viewed as something other than negative.

But you knew that was what was meant.
I don't know why you felt you needed to jump into this in the first place, but you're still wrong. When something is changed for the worse objectively, thinking positively about it does absolutely nothing. You either live with the negative aspect(s) or you move on. So far I have lived with the negative aspect(s). Sooner or later (probably sooner) I will just move on.