• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Identify Invited Friends

DeletedUser29726

I never said you didn’t. I just said why I aid from the friends list always.

If you aid from the friends list most days and hit everyone and then say every sunday or something aid from the town hall instead to do a friend list cull it breaks the theoretical "i aid from town hall and so do they so we never aid each other anymore" conundrum.

You can also break it by aiding from friend list after the town hall even if they haven't aided you if you want to give them more time before you cut them (i.e. you might want to allow that 'maybe they're just away for the week, if they still haven't aided me next week then I'll cut them')

Mass spam is not a good alternative for seeing which of your friends are active - I don't know many people who like receiving those messages. Some cut the senders off. Some just bitch about receiving the message. Some intentionally just ignore them and make the sender do the work to drop them. One Machiavellian approach is to follow the instruction and leave the message but then slap them on ignore so the next time they try to mass message people including you the group will fail to be created and they'll have to figure out who of the 100 or so people they're irritating has them on ignore ;) (not sure if that actually works - but I'd try it at times if it did - especially on off worlds that I'm heavily inactive on :p)

---

On an unrelated note, as a not particularly aid-oriented person, my personal process when I need to cull:

1) Decline all random friend requests that I don't recognize
2) Aid from town hall - of those who I miss, cut any lower players I don't have deals with as they're likely never to be all that useful, unguilded players who I assume have quit the game.
3) If I need to cut further, look for players who have never been involved with my GBs (threads, goods sales, unsolicited donations, etc)
4) If I still need to cut further, look for guildmates (it's fairly frequent for them to send requests, and I often do accept - but I already have contact with them for trade and GBs and aid - and taverns aren't really worth eating a spot for)
5) If I STILL need to cut further, look for people who I haven't interacted with GBs in either direction recently.

Graviton

How am I missing points? I think we just have contrasting views about how to handle friends lists and if that offends you sorry.

No, we're talking past each other. I don't care how you handle your friends list, even if you handle it by making your friends handle it for you. We're all making the same point, to wit:

Mass spam is not a good alternative for seeing which of your friends are active...

And (emphasis mine):

xivarmy said:
If you aid from the friends list most days and hit everyone and then say every sunday or something aid from the town hall instead to do a friend list cull it breaks the theoretical "i aid from town hall and so do they so we never aid each other anymore" conundrum.

It's difficult to tell if you even understand our argument; the only thing that's clear is that you're resistant to advice from people who've been playing a long time.

No need to try to characterize my motives and personality by accusing me of being unfriendly or disloyal or offended again, just read this and digest it and move on.

DeletedUser40495

No, we're talking past each other. I don't care how you handle your friends list, even if you handle it by making your friends handle it for you. We're all making the same point, to wit:
If you truly don’t care how I handle my friends list then there is no need to correct my approach. If you do care, then shut up and play your own game.

No need to try to characterize my motives and personality by accusing me of being unfriendly or disloyal or offended again, just read this and digest it and move on.
I did not characterize your motives I simply said why I always aid from the friends list. I said this in response to you saying my strategy is wrong. If someone tells me I am wrong I will give my motive for what I do so people reading this know that there is a reason for my strategy. If you don’t understand this then I don’t know how to help you.

I will say this once so you know: I don’t give a crap about how you handle your friends list and you said you feel the same way about me. I don’t want your advice or have any need for it whatsoever. Trying to tell me how you do things, or telling me that I don’t understand what is going on is not needed for me or for others reading this. Shut up and walk away, and I will do the same. Neither of us have anything else to say here. The people reading this can see the advice we both gave and decide for themselves how to handle their friends lists.

DeletedUser40495

It's difficult to tell if you even understand our argument; the only thing that's clear is that you're resistant to advice from people who've been playing a long time.
Just so you know I have been playing for a long time as well. I don’t care about your advice or have any need for it. If you were trying to be helpful to me (which I seriously doubt), then thanks for your help, but I don’t need it.

DeletedUser33179

@22prentwil...

The entire point of sending those "leave this thread if you're active" messages is because the sender wants to cast off folks from their friends list who aren't helping them regularly. We're only allowed so many friends, so it matters who we keep on the list to provide us plenty of regular motivation of our buildings & plenty of tavern silver from visits to it.

But, asking folks to leave that thread tells you Absolutely Nothing about who's helping you regularly - merely that they logged in once over the course of several days, noticed your message, & left it. Do you want friends who just respond to messages or do you want friends who actually help your city?

By all means, aide regularly via the friends bar (it's what I do). Just try to understand that there's another tool at your disposal -- the townhall -- which by intentional game design compliments the friends bar to garner more information from the bar than you're perhaps willing to admit (or perhaps truly understand) at the moment.

When you want to clear out the routinely unhelpful friends from the list (whether that be every couple months, twice a year, or whenever you decide), using the townhall is a very effective method. It shows you a log of exactly who has aided you over the course of the past 5 days. Use it to your advantage & in a quick/easy manner. On the day you chose for cleaning your friends list, aid from the townhall instead of the friends bar. Then go immediately to your friends bar & check each player. If they've aided you at least once in the past 5 days, the "aide" button is darkened + countdown timer til next aide allowed by you. All those other, lighted "aide" buttons are the potential folks to dump (of course, consideration of whether or not they've been donating to your GBs, have a GB you're actively looking yourself to donate to, etc all can come into play). You now know for a fact who's physically helped you, not just someone claiming they did.

As with everything else in the game, your city will benefit greatly when you use all the tools at your disposal whenever you can. Or go the path of "alright for now but could do better" - which seems to work well at the time but most often limits growth & pace of progress significantly down the road (as you haven't accumulated nearly as much as you had potential for all those months ago). As always, it's your choice.

DeletedUser40495

@22prentwil...

The entire point of sending those "leave this thread if you're active" messages is because the sender wants to cast off folks from their friends list who aren't helping them regularly. We're only allowed so many friends, so it matters who we keep on the list to provide us plenty of regular motivation of our buildings & plenty of tavern silver from visits to it.

But, asking folks to leave that thread tells you Absolutely Nothing about who's helping you regularly - merely that they logged in once over the course of several days, noticed your message, & left it. Do you want friends who just respond to messages or do you want friends who actually help your city?

By all means, aide regularly via the friends bar (it's what I do). Just try to understand that there's another tool at your disposal -- the townhall -- which by intentional game design compliments the friends bar to garner more information from the bar than you're perhaps willing to admit (or perhaps truly understand) at the moment.

When you want to clear out the routinely unhelpful friends from the list (whether that be every couple months, twice a year, or whenever you decide), using the townhall is a very effective method. It shows you a log of exactly who has aided you over the course of the past 5 days. Use it to your advantage & in a quick/easy manner. On the day you chose for cleaning your friends list, aid from the townhall instead of the friends bar. Then go immediately to your friends bar & check each player. If they've aided you at least once in the past 5 days, the "aide" button is darkened + countdown timer til next aide allowed by you. All those other, lighted "aide" buttons are the potential folks to dump (of course, consideration of whether or not they've been donating to your GBs, have a GB you're actively looking yourself to donate to, etc all can come into play). You now know for a fact who's physically helped you, not just someone claiming they did.

As with everything else in the game, your city will benefit greatly when you use all the tools at your disposal whenever you can. Or go the path of "alright for now but could do better" - which seems to work well at the time but most often limits growth & pace of progress significantly down the road (as you haven't accumulated nearly as much as you had potential for all those months ago). As always, it's your choice.
Thanks for your input

Agent327

He does understand your argument. You do not understand his.

He has another way of doing it than you. He has not asked fo advise and he does not see using the message system as spam. If people do unfriend him because of it he has no problem with that. Beats me why you all want to convince him about why you are right and he is wrong. He isn't. He just has a different view and since it works for him, why should he change it?

Graviton

He does understand your argument. You do not understand his.

His point is that anybody who does it differently than he does is disloyal, unfriendly, and/or offended. I didn't say anything like that. But I'm sure he appreciates your support.

DeletedUser40495

His point is that anybody who does it differently than he does is disloyal, unfriendly, and/or offended. I didn't say anything like that. But I'm sure he appreciates your support.
I did not say people who only aid from the town hall are “disloyal”. I said that I prefer to be especially loyal and aid everyone.

DeletedUser40495

This is more proof that you do not understand my argument. If you don’t understand something, please don’t comment on it, or especially try to correct it. Thanks.