• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] I'm sorry but I cannot figure out battles...

DeletedUser31496

Hi all,

I've been playing for a few weeks, and I really enjoy the game. The game is very intuitive and easy to get started with. But, in my opinion, a real weakness in the game design is the battles. It's very counter-intuitive. I just cannot for the life of me figure out how to battle. I mean, I'm lost at a very basic level.

The battle guides are not useful to me. I understand the difference in unit types, and all that. That's easy enough to follow. But I am lost even earlier. I can't figure out how to move the units, for example. When the battle begins, I have a unit selected to move. I move it then I can't do anything from there.. I can't click on anything else, for example, and the next thing I know one of the enemy units comes in and kills that unit. I'd like to move up my artillery, but cannot select them. etc.

Is there perhaps some sort of video explaining these very basic elements of the battle?

I've just been auto-completing battles, but it's no longer effective.

DeletedUser28670

No, No, No, never auto- complete. Except in GvG or in very limited circumstances, but when you are starting the basic rule is never auto complete.

There is a basic chain of units that works in most ages until you go into much higher ages.
Ranged/Artillery kills Heavy kills Light kills Ranged/Artillery....

Anyways, each unit has a "turn" on the battlefield. The battlefield is basically a lot of hexes, and you can press on hexes when it is a specific unit's turn to move that unit. You can't choose which unit to move, it's turn based. You will see a red sword hovering over some units on some turns. That means that you are in range to damage/ kill that unit. It does not mean oh I press that red sword I win. No no no. I thought they explained this in the tutorial, but whatever...

(Taken from http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Armies_and_Battles) Do not open spoilers if you do not want to be assaulted by a lot of text....

Fast units have a good range of movement, but they cannot take much damage. They are a great way to take out ranged classes.

• The light units are genuine all-rounders: they are fast, inflict good damage and can withstand a lot. They are best at intercepting enemy fast units.
  • The heavy units are moderately slow and heavily armored. They are formidable opponents when they make it into close combat; there they outmatch any other unit.
  • Ranged units are fast and can attack from a distance, and their attack causes significant damage. However, they cannot defend themselves and are easy prey for all units which manage to attack them in close combat.
  • The artillery units are lost in close-range combat. They are very slow, very weak defense, and mediocre attack. Their big advantage is that they can cover almost the entire battle map with their attack and are able to selectively attack almost every unit. If used in numbers, it can take out enemy artillery units without getting damaged. It can also defeat most units from an age up and all the ages below.

Movement and Attack

The battle is fought in rounds. Basically, each unit moves and attacks once per round. They move according to their movement points, but each type of terrain will cost a differing amount. Directly after movement, if there is an opponent within their reach, the units can attack. Melee classes and fast units have to attack into an adjacent field, while ranged classes can shoot at an enemy within their range.

There is no retaliation to fear from ranged attacks; however, in close-ranged battle, attacked fast and melee units can defend themselves. It works like this: First, the attacker does its damage, then the one being attacked hits back. However, there is only one counter-attack per round: even the strongest unit can be defeated by a swarm of enemies this way.
Damage
Each unit has a maximum of ten life points. The amount of damage points an attack deals is calculated using the current life points and the attack value of the attacker, the defense value of the attacked, modifiers for terrain, other bonuses (some units get bonuses if they fight against units of a particular type) and a random factor. Thus, a unit with a high attack rating deals more damage, and an uninjured unit inflicts more than a wounded one. On the other hand, high defense means good armor – the unit takes less damage. If a unit loses all its life points, it is destroyed.
Terrain
On the battle map, there are different types of terrain. Forests, bushes, rocks, hills, water bodies, plains and swamps are examples of them. The Terrain offers two different effects in the game: Firstly, it affects movement. Water areas are impassable, and other types of terrain costs extra movement points when they are crossed. On the other hand, terrain can give battle bonuses: light unit get defense bonuses in bushes and forests, heavy units are better protected in plains, artillery units receive an attack bonus when they shoot from hills, whereas those with ranged units attacks deal more damage standing on rocks. Only fast units do not receive benefits through the terrain. Rough terrain benefits ranged units that stand behind it as both melee classes have movement range that are significantly smaller, therefore allowing you to hit the enemy effectively without the enemy attacking your ranged units the following turn.
Healing
Is the battle over and your units have been damaged? No problem – they heal automatically over time, one life point at a time. Units that were destroyed in battle do not heal. Their corresponding slot in military building is freed again and you can recruit a new unit there.
Buffs
The stats of units might get further influenced by a percentile boost. While on some provinces of the Continent map all enemy units in it gain a percentage bonus to their attack and defense stats (easily seen in the sector view as small shield icons on top of the unit images), there are two different buffs that can affect the armies of the players, both of which are accumulated from certain buildings such as the Watchfire and a small number of the Great Buildings:

• Defense boost: All units in the defending army of this player get a bonus to their defense stat only, which means they take less damage when attacked.

• Military boost: All units in the attacking army of this player get a bonus to both their attack and the defense stats, which means they take less damage and deal more.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31496

I'm not sure how I even found FoE, is there a link to that tutorial? (I've seen a few, but they've not said much of use.)

DeletedUser31496

Wait. I can't select which unit gets to move? That's, um, really odd. So my artillery is out of place... can't do anything about it?

DeletedUser28670

Wait. I can't select which unit gets to move? That's, um, really odd. So my artillery is out of place... can't do anything about it?
Yes, you can't do anything about it until the next turn of the artillery unit. This isn't called a strategy game for nothing, you should be planning about the best places for your artillery units, ideally at the back of your army.

DeletedUser31496

Yes, planning isn't the difficulty. The battle tactics are quite easy to see. But, the lack of flexibility is frustrating. The battle engine seems to need some work. Again, do you have the link for the tutorial? Or maybe a link to a vide that discusses the very, very basics?

DeletedUser28670

Yes, planning isn't the difficulty. The battle tactics are quite easy to see. But, the lack of flexibility is frustrating. The battle engine seems to need some work. Again, do you have the link for the tutorial? Or maybe a link to a vide that discusses the very, very basics?
The tutorial is in-game, you do it when you start the game. I don't know of any video that discusses the basics, maybe some else knows....

DeletedUser31496

The tutorial is in-game, you do it when you start the game. I don't know of any video that discusses the basics, maybe some else knows....
Oh, shoot, okay... I'll take a look. A video (for repeated reference) would be helpful, though.

DeletedUser12620

I highly suggest going to the guilds and reading when you have the time available to read them! Fun fact spearmen are underrated :p

DeletedUser27889

I thought I was the only one... When I started to play I literally could not figure out how to move my guys and there wasn't an in game tutorial on how. Firstly if you're playing on mobile it can be harder since you have to use touch. If you're on browser click these spoiler tags for a picture guide I have a feeling you're problem is the same as mine was, you didn't know about the double click.

No actual game spoilers just large images

Here you'll see the start of battle, the unit that is up first for you is hilighted in yellow. The area which this unit is capeable of moving is hilighted via the lighter green squares. You cannot change the order in which your troops move, it's turn by turn. Take your mouse and select the square which you would like your unit to end up.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.37.53 PM.png
Here you will see that I moved my unit, but it is still hilighted in yellow telling me the turn is not over. This is the part I could not figure out and actually, have never figured out WHY this is for a unit not in attacking range. Click the square again. Click the troop. Then this units move is over, you will either be able to place another unit or the turn will pass to the opposing side. It all depends on whose turn it is. This can be useful when you have something like an archer, who gains attack bonus on hills to move the archer to the hill and attack from there so long as you have enough room. For troops that cannot attack I don't know why the turn does not automatically end once the piece is placed, maybe someone more wise can enlighten us on the 'why' but this is my guess as to the how you're getting confused.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.38.12 PM.png

Here you can see if you have a piece that has a defensive bonus dependant on terrain, hovering over terrain will tell you if and what bonuses will be applied by placing your unit there.
Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.38.38 PM.png

Finally, once you're in attacking range, as indicated by the red sword over the opposing unit hovering over the opposing armies unit will show you the range of expected damage you can expect from attacking also if and how much damage you can expect in retaliation against your unit during the attack. To attack click the unit you wish to attack.
Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.39.12 PM.png

There are much more in depth guides here on how to fight, however if you're hung up on the basics like I was it can be hard to get others to understand. Something as simple as the double click comes so naturally now most probably don't realize they're doing it or that it could be the issue you are having.

DeletedUser12620

I thought I was the only one... When I started to play I literally could not figure out how to move my guys and there wasn't an in game tutorial on how. Firstly if you're playing on mobile it can be harder since you have to use touch. If you're on browser click these spoiler tags for a picture guide I have a feeling you're problem is the same as mine was, you didn't know about the double click.

No actual game spoilers just large images

Here you'll see the start of battle, the unit that is up first for you is hilighted in yellow. The area which this unit is capeable of moving is hilighted via the lighter green squares. You cannot change the order in which your troops move, it's turn by turn. Take your mouse and select the square which you would like your unit to end up.

View attachment 7277
Here you will see that I moved my unit, but it is still hilighted in yellow telling me the turn is not over. This is the part I could not figure out and actually, have never figured out WHY this is for a unit not in attacking range. Click the square again. Click the troop. Then this units move is over, you will either be able to place another unit or the turn will pass to the opposing side. It all depends on whose turn it is. This can be useful when you have something like an archer, who gains attack bonus on hills to move the archer to the hill and attack from there so long as you have enough room. For troops that cannot attack I don't know why the turn does not automatically end once the piece is placed, maybe someone more wise can enlighten us on the 'why' but this is my guess as to the how you're getting confused.

View attachment 7278

Here you can see if you have a piece that has a defensive bonus dependant on terrain, hovering over terrain will tell you if and what bonuses will be applied by placing your unit there.
View attachment 7282

Finally, once you're in attacking range, as indicated by the red sword over the opposing unit hovering over the opposing armies unit will show you the range of expected damage you can expect from attacking also if and how much damage you can expect in retaliation against your unit during the attack. To attack click the unit you wish to attack.
View attachment 7283

There are much more in depth guides here on how to fight, however if you're hung up on the basics like I was it can be hard to get others to understand. Something as simple as the double click comes so naturally now most probably don't realize they're doing it or that it could be the issue you are having.

Just curious, does anyone still use Meat shields? Is there a guide explaining this topic? ;)

DeletedUser

Here you will see that I moved my unit, but it is still hilighted in yellow telling me the turn is not over. This is the part I could not figure out and actually, have never figured out WHY this is for a unit not in attacking range
It is because your unit did not use up its entire movement allowance to get to the square you put it on. Notice that not only is your unit's hex still highlighted in yellow, but the surrounding hexes are shaded to indicate your unit could still move to one of them. If you don't move your unit to the absolute limit of its allowance, it will be highlighted like that until you click it again as you describe.

DeletedUser27849

Here is a video I made of using Iron Age vs EMA it may not give you all the answers but it might help to see how and what I used. There are more videos in there of different ages also.

DeletedUser28970

Hi all,

I've been playing for a few weeks, and I really enjoy the game. The game is very intuitive and easy to get started with. But, in my opinion, a real weakness in the game design is the battles. It's very counter-intuitive. I just cannot for the life of me figure out how to battle. I mean, I'm lost at a very basic level.

The battle guides are not useful to me. I understand the difference in unit types, and all that. That's easy enough to follow. But I am lost even earlier. I can't figure out how to move the units, for example. When the battle begins, I have a unit selected to move. I move it then I can't do anything from there.. I can't click on anything else, for example, and the next thing I know one of the enemy units comes in and kills that unit. I'd like to move up my artillery, but cannot select them. etc.

Is there perhaps some sort of video explaining these very basic elements of the battle?

Everything you say is true ... and folk posting here will consider you an 'idiot' if you don't want to fight ... and they don't mind saying so.
But trust me, if fighting is not your thing then you don't have to do it! No matter what anybody here might have to say ... they are just looking for 'fresh meat'.
Forget about it if you want ... the whole Battle scheme is totally messed up from A to Z. Totally monkeyed up. Everybody has whined for so long for little personal 'twists' here and there that will benefit them solely that the whole thing is completely buggered up beyond redemption. (just my opinion of course)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser27889

It is because your unit did not use up its entire movement allowance to get to the square you put it on. Notice that not only is your unit's hex still highlighted in yellow, but the surrounding hexes are shaded to indicate your unit could still move to one of them. If you don't move your unit to the absolute limit of its allowance, it will be highlighted like that until you click it again as you describe.
I do understand what it's doing but I don't understand the why if I can't attack. Like, why would I move then move again? It's not like moving the first time expands your moveable tiles. Is it just in case I change my mind or screw up? Or just a coding oversight? In either case thank you for trying to answer the question maybe it has some useful purpose to move and move again and I just haven't figured it out again.

Do you happen to know exactly what 'movement cost' and movement on a unit means? I've never been able to understand that one at all apart from the higher the number the further it can go however the numbers don't match the squares on the board, the amount of turns?

DeletedUser26965

I do understand what it's doing but I don't understand the why if I can't attack. Like, why would I move then move again? It's not like moving the first time expands your moveable tiles. Is it just in case I change my mind or screw up? Or just a coding oversight? In either case thank you for trying to answer the question maybe it has some useful purpose to move and move again and I just haven't figured it out again.

Do you happen to know exactly what 'movement cost' and movement on a unit means? I've never been able to understand that one at all apart from the higher the number the further it can go however the numbers don't match the squares on the board, the amount of turns?
Just think of it like moving a chess piece like the Queen let's say, you move it 5 places but decide to move back one and once you take your hand off you can't move it. So if you don't use up a units movement value completely in one single move then you can move it back one if possible or whatever.

A unit gets a movement value assigned to it. So for Hover Tank let's say, it's 20. Each type of terrain also has a value set to it called Movement Costs which you can see by hovering over the terrain. The units movement value gets reduced by each type of terrain it crosses. So let us take a Hover Tank and its movement value of 20 and it can cross all Plains in a row one hex to the other, each hex of Plains costs 3, the Hover Tank then can move 6 hexes total.

DeletedUser27889

Just think of it like moving a chess piece like the Queen let's say, you move it 5 places but decide to move back one and once you take your hand off you can't move it. So if you don't use up a units movement value completely in one single move then you can move it back one if possible or whatever.
Great analogy and glad to know I'm not missing some cool trick with a double move I couldn't figure out.

A unit gets a movement value assigned to it. So for Hover Tank let's say, it's 20. Each type of terrain also has a value set to it called Movement Costs which you can see by hovering over the terrain. The units movement value gets reduced by each type of terrain it crosses. So let us take a Hover Tank and its movement value of 20 and it can cross all Plains in a row one hex to the other, each hex of Plains costs 3, the Hover Tank then can move 6 hexes total.
Awesome! Thank you! Add all the tiles together = movement cost... That makes a lot of sense. I had thought the tile I was moving to or hovering over's movement cost was trying to tell me something about what it cost to move there not it being 1 tile out of however many is between A and B. I'd been wondering about that for going on 2 years now... Thanks!

DeletedUser26965

Great analogy and glad to know I'm not missing some cool trick with a double move I couldn't figure out.

Awesome! Thank you! Add all the tiles together = movement cost... That makes a lot of sense. I had thought the tile I was moving to or hovering over's movement cost was trying to tell me something about what it cost to move there not it being 1 tile out of however many is between A and B. I'd been wondering about that for going on 2 years now... Thanks!
Yeah it's amazing how much you find yourself learning about this game even after playing for a good amount of time, like life a constant learning experience. And glad I could help, sometimes just takes explaining in different ways for it to click.