• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

In the News

DeletedUser34

I have never had to sign a paper approving academic curriculum. I don't think parents have the right to deny a child awareness of the real world, and its horrors.

And I think it is stupid to say that a school, which is (these days) the institution that is responsible for the "children", can't show them reality. My daughter watched the towers fall AT SCHOOL.

DeletedUser

But do students need to be shown murder? Teaching someone about the horrors and awareness of the real world is fine, but talking about murder is one thing...showing them murder is something much different. I don't think that students need to be shown what murder looks like in order for them to understand the world.

I think this will be my last post on this topic. I find it kind of frustrating that such a thing as showing a video of someone being murdered in school is something to be debated on. Thought for sure that no one would disagree with the teacher's suspension. Perhaps it's just me.

DeletedUser34

But do students need to be shown murder? Teaching someone about the horrors and awareness of the real world is fine, but talking about murder is one thing...showing them murder is something much different. I don't think that students need to be shown what murder looks like in order for them to understand the world.

Nobody has yet told me the difference. Was bodies falling out of 108 floor windows not as disturbing? Was video of the sailors drowning in Pearl Harbor not as disturbing? Are graphic pictures of war not as disturbing? WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? There is NONE. I think it is hypocritical to say oh this is bad, but that is not. Especially when it is THE EXACT SAME THING.

You can not post all you want, but you are included in the Nobody has told me a difference in the two. Till you can, do what you want. That is my point in all of this. These are not 5-10 year olds we are talking about, we are talking about 15-17 year olds...a HUGE VAST difference in maturity.

DeletedUser

But your comment goes against Hellstromm's. The comment was made that death on the screen is not real, it is the seeing it in real life that changes a person. Snuff films do not exist, and so anything on screen is not reality. Not having known the victim, nor any emotional attachment to the victim, watching this movie was absolutely no different than watching a well done movie that includes graphic death. That IS my point. Both are on film, the substance matters not, as in the eyes of a teen, it is just plain yuk. Pictures of Dale Sr. were not allowed to be posted because gore is what is on the internet, in the movies, etc. There is an audience for it, right wrong or indifferent. It is there. And the TEENS, not children, had every right to watch it if they wanted. It is no different than seeing any other death on film. If they had seen it through physical eyes, I'd agree the teacher should be suspended, but otherwise, it was a simple movie.
Meh, straw man. Hellstromm argued that most so called 'snuff films' were fake, thus cannot be compared to witnessing an actual murder. He made no such comment about this particular video, the "first reported instance of a snuff film" as he put it:
So, the difference here is that this is real, while all previous "alleged" snuff films were fake.

Nobody has yet told me the difference. Was bodies falling out of 108 floor windows not as disturbing? Was video of the sailors drowning in Pearl Harbor not as disturbing? Are graphic pictures of war not as disturbing? WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? There is NONE. I think it is hypocritical to say oh this is bad, but that is not. Especially when it is THE EXACT SAME THING.

You can not post all you want, but you are included in the Nobody has told me a difference in the two. Till you can, do what you want. That is my point in all of this. These are not 5-10 year olds we are talking about, we are talking about 15-17 year olds...a HUGE VAST difference in maturity.
Sorry to inform you, but teachers need written permission to show these films to students too if they are given a classification recommended for an age above that of the students'. I wish you good luck trying to explain how a HD video of a close up, personal, gory murder doesn't trump a few grainy images of ships exploding off into the distance; the difference between a rating of PG/-13/R and what ought to be NC-17.