• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Interface Improvements Feedback

DreadfulCadillac

At the bottom of the announcement it states that it was up for A/B testing. This announcement does state that it will launch only on mobile but an example of the testing is that I must have gotten into one of the groups because even though I am a browser user, my world's all show the collabsible buff bar but not the daily event log-in special. Evidently each feature runs independently from each other.
No, that was only for the Daily Login bonus I think. The bar was launched for everyone.

Pericles the Lion

In the body of the text for this update it states 1) that the final version will be put on mobile only (all 3 new features) but that 2) they were being launched for A/B on all platforms. (I would have copied or provided the link from the announcement but I'm not sure how to do that. Going to try. It was in this message but supporting info was in a link from this message the the A/B tests, I'm pretty sure).

I think this is it:
Please note that this change will not be activated for every player yet. For more information, we invite you to read our post on the AB tests in Forge of Empires here.
Please read the Announcement again. @DreadfulCadillac is correct. The "Collapsible Quest Window" applies to mobile only. The "Improved Buff Bar" is for all players. The "Daily Login Bonus" is in A/B testing.

"Please note that this change will not be activated for every player yet. For more information, we invite you to read our post on the AB tests in Forge of Empires here.". If the A/B testing applied to all three changes then the Announcement would have said "these changes", not "this change".

Satai Kambing

The so-called "improved buff bar" is not an improvement at all. It just caused more inconvenient for the player, another button to click and the information are clearly visible in the previous version. I do not understand the idea of grouping the button together, when it was working fine with the earlier presentation.

No comment on the "Daily login bonus" since I do not have it in my city.

Last edited:

ol man Rufus

I play on a Laptop. Is there a keyboard shortcut available to open the Buff Bar?
The "Quest" buttons have not changed on my screen but I DO REALLY LIKE the collapsible buff bar.
As a daily player I don't mind getting more rewards for just a login

Thanks

Pericles the Lion

Lots of complaints about the "Improved Buff Bar" but no one has pointed out that it only seems to apply to the main city view. In GBG, GE, GvG, and the C-Map the old buff bar is in effect. Except for the BG buff, the places where the buffs are most important still use the old view.

Xenosaur

Some the these design elements are antithetical to mobile. Here are 2 examples of a design that doesn't seem to make sense for a mobile environment.

1) The new Daily Login event: The way I would have implemented this seems much more ergonomic to the user, and sensitive to what I'm now covering up with it being a visible button - all day long. Yes - right now, I'm covering up something ALL DAY - the icon never disappears. The icon should appear only when I have the opportunity to do something for my daily login. Once I do that, I shouldn't see that icon again until my next daily login is ready to present to me. Why on Earth do I have to see that all day long when I've already done it? It should vanish from my landscape. Treat the icon like a FLAG, which appears on the Auction dealer's domain, or the Castle for Castle rewards. Show the icon when action is required, and make it dormant when there is nothing to do in that system.

2) The Buff-Bar: Here again, a refinement is in order. This makes tons of sense for thing that have charges that people actively use each day (HC, Kraken, etc), but here's where that concept breaks down: Galata Tower. Yes, the GT has charges, and yes a LOT of people have GTs (for 2 reasons: Goods generation and a layer of city protection), but GOSH guys - that will almost "never" disappear from being visible all day long. The GT is one of those quiet protection tools, that rarely if EVER gets discharged! I can't remember ever seeing that protect my city in all the years I've owned it. So why are we wasting visible mobile real estate on something that never (almost never) will decrement from the charge value I earn? It's always the ONLY thing left to report on, and it's not of interest to know I'm out of charges. It never gets used. Can you special case the Galata Tower charges to NOT always be the ONLY thing left - always representing my buff bar each day - forever?

Create a dashboard space - allow it to expand and contract in size and in what it covers as icons report status things, and present thing that I need to know about, work on temporarily, etc. Things I have finished should exit the space, and return when they refresh the next day.

Last edited:

Sharmon the Impaler

Nothing to add to the above comment from @Xenosaur except thank you for coming up with and writing all that out so I didn't have to :). I don't have a Galata but most do so even that makes sense to me.

BellaFia

It’s now too hard to see how many charges that you have left on the GBs. Do I want to click after each pick up or battle to see how many I have left? NOOOOOOOOO!

Please bring the prior version back. It was way more useful than what you changed too.
Or at least give us an option to have the buff bar expanded or stacked. Put it in the settings like some of the other abilities are, ie, stacking the troops, or notification of road delete, etc.

PJS299

Lots of complaints about the "Improved Buff Bar" but no one has pointed out that it only seems to apply to the main city view. In GBG, GE, GvG, and the C-Map the old buff bar is in effect. Except for the BG buff, the places where the buffs are most important still use the old view.
Is this on mobile? I don't recall ever seeing the buff bar on GE, GvG, GBG, or the c map on PC.

cassady420

Maybe let us choose which icons we want shown in the buff bar, with an option for 'always on' so the ones we use are always displayed (in a column, please, not stacked), or 'off' for those that don't want to see them.

PJS299

Also, maybe I shouldn't say this, but what's next? Making the ToR thing in GE float around?

Sharmon the Impaler

The daily thing will likely change the 5% boost thing. The first was to get the all important metric of logins per player. The compliment of that metric is "How many daily logins w/ engagement per client? " The daily gets this. That is generally a presales gimmick to boost your games perceived book value but also used to get more investors interested sometimes. The changes are not done for us , they are only done to generate more revenue. Look at it from that angle and you will figure out the whys in most cases. The quest stacking annoyance was likely done to free up more real estate to push more ads or some other grotesque billboard thing but we will see.