• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Is HS worth it?

AwesomeAadi10

So I’ve been wondering about this question for a lot of time and thought there’s no one as smart as the people here. I make about 25-35 FP each day and am camping in HMA. Is the HS worth the space?

UBERhelp1

So I’ve been wondering about this question for a lot of time and thought there’s no one as smart as the people here. I make about 25-35 FP each day and am camping in HMA. Is the HS worth the space?
Right now, I'd avoid it. It becomes worthwhile once you can take it to a high level, but until that point you'd be better off working on other GB (attack, the Arc, etc). If it is the happiness you need, with some extra space you could build the Traz, which would give more happiness and troops besides.

Mannered

Hi! I am in iron age myself, & in aging up i have noticed space is crucial to expanding quick development in game progression. I suggest holding on hagia sophia until you are abundant in space & have prints to level into a better fp per tile ratio. I think hs is 49 tiles, & at level ten does 6(?) Fp which is, by current standard, quite an abysmal ratio. Of course this is your choice

Emberguard

It is if it'll add to your city. It isn't if you're staying in an age long enough to not get benefit from it before you'll run out of space and have something better to put. I didn't put it down in my first city until probably Colonial Age and by that point it did come in handy

AwesomeAadi10

Alright so the imprint I’m getting right now is that I should level my Arc and focus on attack/defence, and then put up the HS in a later era. Thank you everyone!

DevaCat

Hoo boy did you just open a can o worms. The worth of HS is the subject of a long long debate (goes back to before my time).

Are you going to fight more (Traz) or negotiate more (HS)? Traz gives you happy + units. HS gives you happy + fps. In one LMA city I have both, in 3 others I have or am leaning to Traz. Both are huge.

Focus on fps/day. What you reported is pretty low. To level and use the Arc, you need fuel.

AwesomeAadi10

u have the arc already ?
Yeah I got it about a week ago
Hoo boy did you just open a can o worms. The worth of HS is the subject of a long long debate (goes back to before my time).

Are you going to fight more (Traz) or negotiate more (HS)? Traz gives you happy + units. HS gives you happy + fps. In one LMA city I have both, in 3 others I have or am leaning to Traz. Both are huge.

Focus on fps/day. What you reported is pretty low. To level and use the Arc, you need fuel.
Yeah I’ve been trying to get bp’s for FP producing GBs and I have the amount of BPs to build the HD so was the thinking if I should. What other FP producing GBs would be useful? I used to be more of a negotiator but now I’m leaning towards fighting so I think I may try to get the Traz since I don’t have enough troops to get through GE and my troops aren’t that strong so I am desperately trying to get the SoZ, CDM, and CoA up and running and leveled too.

Last edited:

DevaCat

Yeah I got it about a week ago

Yeah I’ve been trying to get bp’s for FP producing GBs and I have the amount of BPs to build the HD so was the thinking if I should. What other FP producing GBs would be useful? I used to be more of a negotiator but now I’m leaning towards fighting so I think I may try to get the Traz.
I'm leaning more to the Traz now, HS later thing. Do you have a CdM yet? That's good for fps plus military boost. Don't know what you have in your HMA city, but concentrating on fp production to fuel the Arc is going to be key. Do you do RQs and have a CF, or are you relying on houses and goods buildings for what you need? I know that with a Traz in time you will have enough happiness to get rid of culturals and decos, and you can reduce the number of military barracks you'll need. Then the houses supporting all that stuff can be deleted, and the space you gain can be filled with FP producing event buildings and SoKs you pick up. The CF can do a similar number on resources/space devoted to goods production.

Yeah, that's old fashioned and some nimrod will chip in saying you can snipe your way into nirvana, but that old way still works.

AwesomeAadi10

I'm leaning more to the Traz now, HS later thing. Do you have a CdM yet? That's good for fps plus military boost. Don't know what you have in your HMA city, but concentrating on fp production to fuel the Arc is going to be key. Do you do RQs and have a CF, or are you relying on houses and goods buildings for what you need? I know that with a Traz in time you will have enough happiness to get rid of culturals and decos, and you can reduce the number of military barracks you'll need. Then the houses supporting all that stuff can be deleted, and the space you gain can be filled with FP producing event buildings and SoKs you pick up. The CF can do a similar number on resources/space devoted to goods production.

Yeah, that's old fashioned and some nimrod will chip in saying you can snipe your way into nirvana, but that old way still works.
I’m trying to get my SoZ to level 10 before getting the CdM and the CoA but as you said I have a pretty low FP count so it’s not as easy even with FP swaps. I’m relying on houses and goods buildings for now but now that you’ve brought it up I’m thinking I could do better with RQs and a CF. I have 3 SoK’s all level 1.

DevaCat

I’m trying to get my SoZ to level 10 before getting the CdM and the CoA but as you said I have a pretty low FP count so it’s not as easy even with FP swaps. I’m relying on houses and goods buildings for now but now that you’ve brought it up I’m thinking I could do better with RQs and a CF. I have 3 SoK’s all level 1.
I'm not anti Zeus, but why run it up to 10 before doing CdM? Granted, it's easier, and getting CoA is easier, but military boost plus fps trumps military boost alone, or boost plus coins imho. I traded up for Monte which took some time, but a lot of guilds will practically give you the goods you need to build it (so I've heard).

Yeah, keep after those SoKs and don't worry about them being level one. We don't need fields of them like was needed at one time, thanks to event buildings, but I wouldn't ignore them if I needed to boost my FP production. They do require a good friend/guild list to keep motivated, but normal effort seems to handle that pretty well.

I'm not anti Aachen either, it's just that at a certain point with limited space, it's one I'd build a little later.

CF is a game changer second only to the Arc, and they pair so well.:)

AwesomeAadi10

I'm not anti Zeus, but why run it up to 10 before doing CdM? Granted, it's easier, and getting CoA is easier, but military boost plus fps trumps military boost alone, or boost plus coins imho. I traded up for Monte which took some time, but a lot of guilds will practically give you the goods you need to build it (so I've heard).

Yeah, keep after those SoKs and don't worry about them being level one. We don't need fields of them like was needed at one time, thanks to event buildings, but I wouldn't ignore them if I needed to boost my FP production. They do require a good friend/guild list to keep motivated, but normal effort seems to handle that pretty well.

I'm not anti Aachen either, it's just that at a certain point with limited space, it's one I'd build a little later.

CF is a game changer second only to the Arc, and they pair so well.:)
Thanks for the insight! This is why the forums is such a nice place to post questions. There’s so many nice players with good knowledge about the game to help you along the way! I’ll take everything you said into account. I’ll try to get the CDM now!

Nicholas002

FTP players will need HS. Diamond players can go for Cape Canaveral for better FP production in less space.
I would say it's the other way around: F2P players should build Cape, while diamond players can afford to put in a less efficient building like HS, because they can buy their way out of inefficiency.

Plain Red Justice

Like any other FP producing GBs, their utility depends on how many swap threads do you manage to win. Using the normal 1.9 lazy graph of a Hagia Sophia where the GB owner uses self-investment, it looks quite ugly in terms of FP efficiency which is true. It doesn't take a 300 IQ genius to realize that spending idk, 200 or 300 FPs for self-investment then bringing it to a 1.9 thread to level to get an additional Happiness on a single level and asking you to spend roughly the same amount to finally get +1 FP everyday is quite suboptimal

But if you leveled it using swap threads to the point that you've distorted the regular 1.9 graphs on a lot of levels, why not? You leveled the GB at a reduced cost. Unless you have a desperate pressing need for Happiness due to that very high level Innovation tower that you don't even use except for its FPs, there is never a rush to leveling it using self-investment

tldr: HS is worth it if you leveled it using swaps and ensured you leveled it at a reduced cost overall. Not worth it if you don't bring to swaps

Last edited: