• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Is it worth using normal buildings in late game?

SomePlayer5000

So, the typical city building style. Production buildings for supplies, houses for coins, goods buildings for goods, and military buildings for battle units. Cultural building for happiness, aswell.

I'm still in Early Middle Ages, but I've noticed that almost all late game user's cities are completely filled with great buildings, other then some pathways updated every age and the City Hall itself. It's like your just blasting through the research eras without even using any buildings from them besides paths, and all they do instead is complete, event buildings and Great buildings.

I've heard that using normal buildings by late game is ineffective, but it does ruin the feeling of the current city development feeling at this time of game.
Again, is it worth using normal buildings?(all buildings except GBs and Event Prize Buildings).

Pericles the Lion

A great aspect of this game is that players can choose how they want to play. Ironically, the INNO Art Department has created a lot of very beautiful buildings that will never get built in many cities. A high level CF/ARC duo eliminated the need for buildings that provide coins/supplies/goods. Traz eliminated the need for all barracks except one. Event buildings usually provide enough happiness and population. GBG is a fp bonanza, so many cities, mine included, concentrate on boosting A/D for the attacking army. I'm in FE and haven't built houses, goods/production buildings, or deco/culture since EMA (unless required to complete a quest in which case it is immediately deleted). Just the way I chose, there are lots of other ways to play. I suggest that you do what feels best for you.

Sharmon the Impaler

So, the typical city building style. Production buildings for supplies, houses for coins, goods buildings for goods, and military buildings for battle units. Cultural building for happiness, aswell.

I'm still in Early Middle Ages, but I've noticed that almost all late game user's cities are completely filled with great buildings, other then some pathways updated every age and the City Hall itself. It's like your just blasting through the research eras without even using any buildings from them besides paths, and all they do instead is complete, event buildings and Great buildings.

I've heard that using normal buildings by late game is ineffective, but it does ruin the feeling of the current city development feeling at this time of game.
Again, is it worth using normal buildings?(all buildings except GBs and Event Prize Buildings).
Is it the most efficient? No. Is it right for you if you enjoy using regular buildings ? Yes

Johnny B. Goode

Production (supply) buildings will always be good to have in your city to some degree. There are frequently "Finish x number of y minute productions" quests in events, and they sometimes require current era production buildings. Can you do that with event/special multi-production buildings (such as the Sleigh Builder)? Yes, but they also can't be motivated and are thus ripe for plunder. Regular production buildings can be motivated and so you can protect them from plunder just by using a Self Aid on them. That helps when you have 8 production buildings and the quest asks for 16 8 hour productions, for example. Not much worse than checking your city last thing at night and discovering that some neighbor has plundered one, leaving you with 15 productions done instead of 16.

Ebeondi Asi

One thing about later Eras is making Goods. Soon enough as players move up Eras making Goods with the Era Goods buildings become more complicated. needing (besides Coins and supplies) previous Era Goods. This complication is totally sidestepped by having Event Buildings or using Chateau Frontenac. And all to nearly all later Era players no longer rely on Era specific Goods building to avoid that cumbersome method of getting Goods. Some rely on Chateau Frontenac for Goods. others Event Buildings.
The other big thing in all later Era players cities is attack boost. acres of attack boost in most late era players cities. (or Event buildings that include attack army boost.
There are a few players who include huge amounts of City defense. but not nearly s common.
And of course endless high level Great Buildings.

..Boudica..

Babel, GBs and Event buildings will easily handle your population. Same w goods and resources. I haven't had a house or goods building in my city in forever. I have a cider mill lol bc I forget about it. During events or in a pinch I'll put down a few blacksmiths but right now I'm focused on upgrading my specials, leveling my GBs and cycling through the settlements. This is a young city, so I'm still generating battle boosts but I'm in multiple hundreds which, compared to others in my guild, is puny
:[)

Last edited:

Ironrooster

The heart of this game is resource management. The primary resource is space available.
What you build depends on your needs at the moment, what you have available such as event buildings, GB's, wishing wells, sentinel towers, etc.
It also depends on what you want to do in the game.

Keep in mind that many players in the later eras usually have played a long time and have a lot of buildings to choose from. For them goods buildings may not be the best use of space. For others who haven't played for a long time, but want to move up the ages/eras, goods buildings may help out especially if there is nothing else to put in that vacant space.