• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is the red tablecloth still a thing?

KeithOfTheForge

When I first started playing years ago, players would decline friend invites because I didn't have a fully upgraded tablecloth (red) in my tavern. I recently started in a new world and have been sending out friend requests. One person declined and then replied telling me they declined because I didn't have a red tablecloth in my tavern?

This is really still a thing?

Graviton

Yes it is a thing , for me when I see that the chairs are 16 but the tablecloth isn't red then the other person cares mostly about themselves and likely would not be a reliable person on my freindlist.
Or the other person decided to upgrade the size of the table before upgrading the tablecloth and they're not done yet.

I've never visited another player's tavern to check out the decor. I could not care less about their tablecloth.

Same.

The Lady Redneck

Every upgrade in the Tavern has value
The table gives you more visitors
Each upgrade to the dish on the table increases the amount of silver you get from each visitor.
Each upgrade to the floor increases the amount of silver you can get from visiting a friends tavern
Each upgrade to the tablecloth increases the chance of a FP when you visit a friends tavern.

In new cities any chance to get more is a help. You can easily get your 1st upgrades to all 4 before you leave Iron age. If you do that it is one more way to let other players see you are active. So they are more likely to accept a FR from you. I do not accept any FR if they are out IA and have no tablecloth. to me that says they are either not active or not interested in helping anyone.

Do I bother about it that much now I am in SAJM.... No..... Although I do still visit everyone on my FL daily. Most have been on there a long time now. So it is a courtesy thing now.

Last edited:

Angry.Blanket

Yes it is a thing , for me when I see that the chairs are 16 but the tablecloth isn't red then the other person cares mostly about themselves and likely would not be a reliable person on my freindlist.
I feel there are 2 ways to look at this.
1 I will visit your tavern even if you don't have a red table cloth, but you wont visit mine if I don't have a red table cloth, this tells me you are more concerned about yourself than helping others.
2 a player with 16 chairs is trying to get max tavern silver, to do that he needs to fill those chairs, to do that he needs to visit his friends taverns so that they return the favor.

P C C

The change in recent years, where you don't see the Tavern when you visit (unless it's full) has probably reduced the number of players who know or pay attention to the state of friends' Taverns

Orius Maximus

I only require *a* tablecloth. The first one isn't that expensive to put in. Requiring the burgundy does make a player seem selfish, as it's only an 8% chance for FP. OTOH, I took the time and effort to put tablecloths in all my cities, so I at least expect someone to return the favor. It's okay if they have the base cloth, especially if they look new, and new players need help getting built up anyway. It's when a player has clearly been around a while and can't be bothered with a tablecloth that they get dumped.

P C C

Use the bottom bar not the event list and you will see the state without visiting.
By state, I meant upgrades: tablecloth, chairs, ... If you (accidentally) try to sit in a full tavern, you are shown the Tavern and can see what upgrades have been done but if there's an empty chair you don't anymore

Emberguard

So, I'm sorry, @Emberguard but your answer is not incorrect but it only addresses half of the equation. Hence, my previous assertion that "Of all of the upgrades you can do to your tavern, the tablecloth is the only one that actually benefits your "guests."

I understand there is benefit in the tablecloth. I also find a great deal of irony in regards to who gets the benefit of a tablecloth and people in this thread wanting selfless friends. There's nothing more self-serving than rejecting friend requests on the basis of them not having a tablecloth. Do that enough times and the only reason they'll place a cloth has nothing to do with benefitting others; it'll be to avoid being rejected by the community, so then it's still just to benefit themselves

If people truly only wanted people who visit the tavern, surely the focus would be more on the floor upgrade rather than the tablecloth. The floor matches the motivation to visit taverns given that's its sole purpose

There's a implied statement within what you said earlier: "I just see it as courtesy to the people I'm asking to spend time to give me something I'll need: tavern silver."

The first implication being that they somehow don't need to visit, and the second implication being that we need to ask. If your friends don't need the silver, and they don't visit unless you ask.... defeats the whole point of the tablecloth anyway. They'll visit if they need to visit and if they're waiting to be asked then they're still not visiting. I do wonder how many of those that reject on the basis of tablecloth are still actively visiting everyone their friends list no matter what, even when they don't need to visit. 'Cause that would mean a whole lot more than just expecting everyone else to be more selfless than we ourselves are prepared to be

Last edited:

Graviton

I understand there is benefit in the tablecloth. I also find a great deal of irony in regards to who gets the benefit of a tablecloth and people in this thread wanting selfless friends. There's nothing more self-serving than rejecting friend requests on the basis of them not having a tablecloth.

Exactly the point I tried to make in my previous post. All this talk of other players being "selfish" because they aren't doing enough to benefit me strikes me as funny.

And on the other side of that coin:
When someone sends me a random friend request, I don't look at their tavern, I look at their GBs. If they have GBs in or near the sweet spot that look like promising snipe targets, I accept.
Predatory friendship!

Everyone has different expectations and perspectives.

Sledgie

Exactly the point I tried to make in my previous post. All this talk of other players being "selfish" because they aren't doing enough to benefit me strikes me as funny.

And on the other side of that coin:

Predatory friendship!

Everyone has different expectations and perspectives.
Note that this only goes for unsolicited friend requests. I have several reasons why someone might be added to my friends list, but in general I don't accept unsolicited requests unless it's potentially profitable.