• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is there a general consensus as when to sell off lower level goods buildings?

**If this has already been discussed, please point me in the right direction. I used the search function.**

I'm a new player who started earlier this year, and I'm wondering what is a generally good strategy as to when to sell off one's lower level goods buildings. In two of my worlds I'm in the LMA. In one of those two worlds, I have one EMA goods building, two HMA buildings, and a few LMA buildings, but sold off my BA and IA goods buildings to make room.

How have players managed their goods buildings? How much do you rely on your own production versus trading with your guild?

Thank you for any advice/observations.

wolfhoundtoo

If you are in a decent guild you should be able to trade for the lower aged goods relatively easily. As a general rule if you are using goods buildings to make your goods you want the current era's goods so that you can trade down. If you don't have access to goods either via your hood or your guild then you'll need to make enough goods for your usage. It's why some players will make sure that they've built up a good supply of their current era's goods before moving up.

Another way people take care of goods is via event buildings that make goods. Sometimes those buildings age up with and sometimes they don't so if you have have any of those that don't age up you can use that for accumulating your former eras goods if you still need them for tech or negotiating.

Johnny B. Goode

I almost never use goods buildings anymore, even in new cities I start. I build the Tower of Babel Great Building as soon as possible and level it to 10. Then I try to win a few event/special buildings that provide goods and can be motivated so they won't be plundered. This works especially well if you fight instead of negotiate in GE/GBG and on the Continent Map.

Ironrooster

Another way people take care of goods is via event buildings that make goods. Sometimes those buildings age up with and sometimes they don't so if you have have any of those that don't age up you can use that for accumulating your former eras goods if you still need them for tech or negotiating.
I do this quite a bit.

Event buildings have really changed the way I produce goods as well as supplies, coins, happiness, and population. As I accumulate more of them other buildings get dropped. I no longer have residential buildings, cultural buildings, or decorations. I keep a few production buildings just for quests. I have a few goods buildings, but all of them will go as I accumulate more event buildings or special buildings like the Shinto Temple from the Japanese cultural settlement which produces 50 goods and 12 FP's at level 9 in a 3x4 space.

I almost never use goods buildings anymore, even in new cities I start. I build the Tower of Babel Great Building as soon as possible and level it to 10. Then I try to win a few event/special buildings that provide goods and can be motivated so they won't be plundered. This works especially well if you fight instead of negotiate in GE/GBG and on the Continent Map.
The question of fighting vs negotiating seems like a critical point. As I haven't leveled up my defense buildings to 10 yet, I've been negotiating 99% of the time. As my defenses build, I will shift that.

Thank you for the feedback!

Emberguard

It depends on what you intend to do in the game. Generally speaking you shouldn’t need more then 3 ages below because you only need the goods for the age it’s introduced in and three ages after on the technology tree.

However i you already have enough goods of those lower ages or are confident you can trade down then you only really need current age and potentially one age below for negotiating purposes

BruteForceAttack

**If this has already been discussed, please point me in the right direction. I used the search function.**

I'm a new player who started earlier this year, and I'm wondering what is a generally good strategy as to when to sell off one's lower level goods buildings. In two of my worlds I'm in the LMA. In one of those two worlds, I have one EMA goods building, two HMA buildings, and a few LMA buildings, but sold off my BA and IA goods buildings to make room.

How have players managed their goods buildings? How much do you rely on your own production versus trading with your guild?

Why have goods buildings in the first place?
They take up space
They use population, (if you build houses then again you are allocating space)
For the population you need happiness (Again allocating space)

Alternatively you can prioritize Chateau and do recurring quests to produce current age goods. If you need few lower age goods you can try and trade down.

Nashtah

Managing the building type, I only make things I have the bonus in and trade for others or use event building to get the other three. I sell off all lower age buildings when aging up tp next level. The question is why you need goods, I trade lots of goods, and as such goods production is of importance to me. I make about 300 goods a day from event buildings and goods buildings, with more goods from quests with a Chateau and still more from the Himeji Castle and Space Carrier. To have a few good of the past age coming in for negotiating purposes, I leave a couple of event buildings in that age(HMA) instead of aging them up.

Trading is required to get all five goods in a balanced amount.
You might look at staying/camping at the LMA until your great buildings are at a higher level, and you have a stockpile of goods, coin, and supplies before moving up.

Managing the building type, I only make things I have the bonus in and trade for others or use event building to get the other three. I sell off all lower age buildings when aging up tp next level. The question is why you need goods, I trade lots of goods, and as such goods production is of importance to me. I make about 300 goods a day from event buildings and goods buildings, with more goods from quests with a Chateau and still more from the Himeji Castle and Space Carrier. To have a few good of the past age coming in for negotiating purposes, I leave a couple of event buildings in that age(HMA) instead of aging them up.

Trading is required to get all five goods in a balanced amount.
You might look at staying/camping at the LMA until your great buildings are at a higher level, and you have a stockpile of goods, coin, and supplies before moving up.
At what point in the game were you able to build the Chateau, Himeji Castle, and the Space Carrier? (The Chateau, which is three levels ahead of me, seems to be the only one within reasonable reach for me.)

BruteForceAttack

At what point in the game were you able to build the Chateau, Himeji Castle, and the Space Carrier? (The Chateau, which is three levels ahead of me, seems to be the only one within reasonable reach for me.)

I'd not build SC till you reach AF...but that's me...

HC can also be built later ages....there are many buildings you need at higher level before going to HC/BG/TA/SC

e.g. for fighters I'd prioritize the following before building HC/BG
zeus 61
coa 61
Cdm 61
AO 60

All depends on your game style, do you fight a lot ? Trader/farmer ? Do you need to do GE all levels., Does your guild to battle grounds a lot

I'd not build SC till you reach AF...but that's me...

HC can also be built later ages....there are many buildings you need at higher level before going to HC/BG/TA/SC

e.g. for fighters I'd prioritize the following before building HC/BG
zeus 61
coa 61
Cdm 61
AO 60

All depends on your game style, do you fight a lot ? Trader/farmer ? Do you need to do GE all levels., Does your guild to battle grounds a lot
Thank you for the guidance. I am fighting more as I build up Zeus, CoA, and CdM, but I have a long way to go before I'm up to level 61.

In my two oldest worlds - Angkor and Uceria, my guilds have only been doing GE I, and both guilds are moderately active in GBG.

BruteForceAttack

Thank you for the guidance. I am fighting more as I build up Zeus, CoA, and CdM, but I have a long way to go before I'm up to level 61.

In my two oldest worlds - Angkor and Uceria, my guilds have only been doing GE I, and both guilds are moderately active in GBG.

If you do GE all levels, I'd level ToR as well to 60... More Ad trash more attack/def you can buy from AD. As you continue to get more attack/def I'd shop for guilds that do more GBG. The rewards in GBG are way more better than spending fps on cape like gbs (Inno tower, Hagia)..

If you have a level 80 arc and do some decent number of RQ's I'd level Chateau to 62 as well.

Glockgemini

Goods buildings are impractical after you reach ME. By then, I had enough Event Specials to build 330 goods per day with none of the costs you have in the goods buildings. The best thing about GBs and specials is they don't require 2 lane roads! I have one whole piece of 2 lane road in my city just for those pesky hover tanks.

Nashtah

I built all of those buildings at level Late Middle Age or below as only yesterday I moved in the Colonial Age. I believe that I built the Space Carrier in Late Middle Age, Chateau in High Middle Age and Himeji Castle in the Early Middle Ages. Sorry for the slow reply.
I built the HC after hitting a stoping point on Zeus, CoA and CdM due to lack of blueprints. At the time I had a great guildmate that let me lock in spot 1 from daily collections of fp on her HC and paid 5goods pre fp of any age. The same guild mate after I got all the bps for my HC, chatted with me about how to build my city and I was able to get other GBs built that might be better for a newer player.

The reason I needed so many good is that I was trading about 10,000 LMA goods for other ages a month.