• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Keeping Goods Buildings Producing

blueskydwg

I'm sure this question has been asked often, but I can't find it with a search so please bear with me.
I keep track of all the goods I'll need for the next 6 or so techs, plus the next few areas on the continent map.
And right now I have an overabundance of just about everything from the bronze age up through the High Middle.
My dilemma is do I keep the six goods building producing, do I let them stay idle, or do I sell them and then add them back later of really needed. That last would only be if I couldn't find a trade.

Thoughts?

DeletedUser31592

Once you hit modern age, you will need these goods (called unrefined goods) to make goods (refined goods). So having a stockpile of goods is crucial. I have thousands of some lower era goods stockpiled. And I've run out and had to build lower age buildings before, too.

blueskydwg

Once you hit modern age, you will need these goods (called unrefined goods) to make goods (refined goods). So having a stockpile of goods is crucial. I have thousands of some lower era goods stockpiled. And I've run out and had to build lower age buildings before, too.

So keep producing. I currently have two brick and two salt (and a copper, honey, and lumber) - might drop to just one of the brick and salt - free up some space.

Salsuero

Thoughts?

I've personally never been a fan of having any goods buildings that aren't for your current age until you reach Modern Era... or perhaps a bit before you get to Modern Era if you wish to start stockpiling the goods you'll need for refining once you do get there, (or possibly if you happen to have any special buildings providing lower age goods that you haven't used a one-up/reno kit on yet, having only those producing lower age goods). It's usually much easier to produce many current goods and trade down for a much higher return for the space you needed to produce them... since you can double your investment one age lower, quadruple two ages lower, etc. I've never seen a problem trading down, and my guild isn't supremely blessed with active traders.

That being said, every situation is unique and if you find yourself unable to make trades, that would be a reason to produce your own. But... it will be quite a while until you actually need those lower age goods, so I'm in favor of using the space more effectively than to just stockpile goods you won't be using until way in the future. Just an alternate opinion for whatever you feel it's worth.

DeletedUser31592

Everyone has different strategies. For the most part, I usually produce my boosted goods for my current era and the one below it. Why? Because that is what is needed for GE. The reason I don't typically just double my current era's productions varies by world.

In my main, I'm in PME. I don't have enough unrefined goods to double my PME productions. I would have to trade my CA goods up to make PME goods, only to trade PME down to ME. Too much hassle. I just make both.

My highest secondary city is only EMA. (I only recently decided to start playing in multiple worlds.) In all of my secondary cities (IA and EMA only- I RQ if I am in BA for goods), I follow the same strategy- current era goods along with goods from the era below. The reason behind this is completely different. Population. I don't have enough expansions to build the additional housing it would need to double my current era's buildings.

Salsuero

Everyone has different strategies. For the most part, I usually produce my boosted goods for my current era and the one below it. Why? Because that is what is needed for GE. The reason I don't typically just double my current era's productions varies by world.

In my main, I'm in PME. I don't have enough unrefined goods to double my PME productions. I would have to trade my CA goods up to make PME goods, only to trade PME down to ME. Too much hassle. I just make both.

My highest secondary city is only EMA. (I only recently decided to start playing in multiple worlds.) In all of my secondary cities (IA and EMA only- I RQ if I am in BA for goods), I follow the same strategy- current era goods along with goods from the era below. The reason behind this is completely different. Population. I don't have enough expansions to build the additional housing it would need to double my current era's buildings.

Yeah. I can't speak to ME and beyond, which is why I sort of stuck to my "advice" for the lower ages. I used to keep production for the age below, but what I realized was that I already had tons of those goods in inventory before I aged up to be ready for that use, and I could also produce twice as many current age goods and trade half of those down for twice as many lower age goods for the few times I needed to negotiate, which I've gotten much better at not needing. So... you're right... more than one way to skin a cat and my way isn't "better" than yours... just different.

DeletedUser25795

I am a full time gamer so I always look at end game in games like this. So what I do is write down all the goods I will need for each age to finish the game (until they add more ages). I then build goods to match the total needed. Yes I will get some from incidents and quest rewards and GE but if I have surplus I swap them for next age goods. Early in game I had like 12 goods buildings then reduced them as I met my quota for the next few ages. Near end game I now only need 3 or 4 goods buildings for the age I am in as I already have the lower age goods needed to convert them to higher age goods. Having a GB or 2 that produced goods is good too as you dont use as much gold/supplies to make goods which means you have more space for other buildings in your city. Another tip is to mass produce goods that use up less space like paper then swap them for goods you need.

Regarding selling and rebuilding the buildings; that will just slow you down in the long run. Instead of looking 6 techs ahead try looking 2 or 3 ages ahead and you will see you will need 1000's of each good later on. And if you use them to negotiate Continental Map or GE then will need many more.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31592

My current goods predicament is exactly why i is important to not rush through ages. I've been in PME for what feels like forever. I'm honestly not even sure how long since I can't even remember not being in PME anymore, lol. At least 9 months, probably a year. I'm OK on PME goods and could progress to CE if it wasn't for the fact that I rushed through ME. Confused? I don't have enough PE goods which are used to make CE goods. I traded them up for a while to cover my lack of ME goods. I had over 10K of each boosted good plus a few K in the others when I aged up to ME. (I stayed in PE for a while and was eager to progress again, which is why I rushed through ME. Apparently I forgot my lesson the first time I learned it.) I now have less than 2K PE goods in total. So I've been trying to trade down and build up my PE goods. I did rebuild a PE building, but they are large and it got axed after a few weeks to make room for something else.

Unless you are about spending money on the game pretty regularly, rushing through an age takes at least twice as long to correct that it would have if you took your time in the first place. Since I've learned this the hard way more than once, I'm determined not to forget again!

DeletedUser29623

When making refined goods, what is the earliest age of unrefined goods we’ll need? I believe I read somewhere that it was Colonial Age,

Falconwing

So keep producing. I currently have two brick and two salt (and a copper, honey, and lumber) - might drop to just one of the brick and salt - free up some space.
I would drop the copper, honey, and lumber before I dropped a brick or salt. Concentrate on the highest age goods you can produce and trade down for the lower age goods at a 2 for 1 ratio. Just put up a few posts of say 25 salt/brick for 50 lower age goods. Sooner or later someone will grab em.

blueskydwg

Unless you are about spending money on the game pretty regularly, rushing through an age takes at least twice as long to correct that it would have if you took your time in the first place. Since I've learned this the hard way more than once, I'm determined not to forget again!

Ha!. I'm only in HMA - but I understand what you're saying. I did rush through the earlier age and now find myself wanting to spend some time here building up some GBs and some better military before moving on.

DeletedUser26120

Just put up a few posts of say 25 salt/brick for 50 lower age goods.
If you have trouble getting people to take your trades, try throwing in some incentive.

Say 20 for 38 instead of 20 for 40. You'd be surprised at how 1 or 2 extra goods will spur people to take trades - it's been working for me to great success in Z world. I get back the goods lost, in terms of time gained with the speedy trades imo.

DeletedUser28670

If you have trouble getting people to take your trades, try throwing in some incentive.

Say 20 for 38 instead of 20 for 40. You'd be surprised at how 1 or 2 extra goods will spur people to take trades - it's been working for me to great success in Z world. I get back the goods lost, in terms of time gained with the speedy trades imo.
Exactly.
I've always loved advertising for trades in global chat, and adding the fact that for instance for 1 trade, I will put 2 fps on a Great Buildings of the acceptor's choice. That's a difference of +1 FP to the acceptor of the trade. Much faster.

DeletedUser32378

If you find the time, always build.

If it's your sweetie pie world, you'll find yourself on her often, building, thinking of new ways to surprise her without putting in a face of the ancients to distract her when she's lonely. Lol