• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Kiosk polishing

DeletedUser28015

According to Inno (changelog 1.40), in regard to the Aid button,
  • Buildings like “Shrine of Knowledge” or “Tigers’ Den” that trigger an additional effect when motivated/polished (most recent age) are prioritized.
However, my TdF kiosk is not getting motivated, while ordinary dwellings and production buildings are. Since kiosks have "an additional effect" (goods production), it seems that they should get priority. Is this a programming oversight?

DeletedUser8152

In the past when they introduced a new building like this, it took a few weeks before the aid priority was updated to include it.

DeletedUser28015

In the past when they introduced a new building like this, it took a few weeks before the aid priority was updated to include it.

As a programmer, I find that quite bizarre. The aid priority should be set when they add the building. And it should happen automatically, as the building should have an "additional effect" attribute. It shouldn't even be possible to get this wrong.

DeletedUser25273

Zotbot, I suspect the issue is that there ISN'T a simple flag in the object description to say 'special effect' when motivated (or that flag is set for some things that they do not want on the priority list), and instead the code has a specific list of buildings that get priority. They may be able to add a lot of the special buildings without changing the main code, but by simply adding entries to a database, so after creating a new building they need to edit the code for priority (and someone forgets to do this ahead of time).

DeletedUser26660

One of the requests in the Tour de France event is to scout a province, what happens if you are at the end of all the maps and cannot scout any more provinces, do you have to resign yourself to the fact that any quests asking for scouting will mean you cannot complete them?

DeletedUser9433

One of the requests in the Tour de France event is to scout a province, what happens if you are at the end of all the maps and cannot scout any more provinces, do you have to resign yourself to the fact that any quests asking for scouting will mean you cannot complete them?
No, the quest auto completes.

DeletedUser25273

A Quest that CAN'T be completed, because you have exhausted the resource you are asked to do (scout/infiltrate/obtain/research) will auto complete. If you just can't do it for practical reasons (pushed the continent too far or don't want to advance an age) then you are stuck, this is a general rule for quest. You can get in trouble if the quest says to peacefully take a sector, and you defeat it via an attack and no longer have a qualifying sector to negotiate for, some of those don't auto complete but make you abort it.

DeletedUser26660

I am on Tomorrow map at moment and was just wondering what scenario was when maps were exhausted, thanks for replies.

DeletedUser28015

Zotbot, I suspect the issue is that there ISN'T a simple flag in the object description to say 'special effect' when motivated (or that flag is set for some things that they do not want on the priority list), and instead the code has a specific list of buildings that get priority.

Which is poor design.

or that flag is set for some things that they do not want on the priority list

They shouldn't want such a thing, since they advertised (per the 1.40 change list) that buildings with additional effects get prioritized, and it just makes sense that they do. It would be a pain for everyone to have to go begging their friends, neighbors, and guildies to motivate specific buildings, and would violate the whole point of the Aid button.

They may be able to add a lot of the special buildings without changing the main code, but by simply adding entries to a database, so after creating a new building they need to edit the code for priority (and someone forgets to do this ahead of time).

The database entry for the building has to include the "additional effect". The priority calculation should be aware of that.

so after creating a new building they need to edit the code for priority (and someone forgets to do this ahead of time).

Like I said, it shouldn't be possible to get this wrong ... the fact that it is possible indicates poor design.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28015

Off topic.

DeletedUser8152

They shouldn't want such a thing, since they advertised (per the 1.40 change list) that buildings with additional effects get prioritized,
Well to be fair, 1.40 made no promise that all buildings with special effects would be prioritized, just the ones they mentioned. But I do agree that sensible code would make it automatic. My conclusion is that the code is not sensible. Have to confess though that in my limited experience most code is not sensible :)

Actually I'm just confused... the text you quoted for the 1.40 update in the OP does not match what is listed here: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/changelog-1-40.8113/

DeletedUser28015

Well to be fair, 1.40 made no promise that all buildings with special effects would be prioritized, just the ones they mentioned.

By the rules of English grammar and common sense, "[things] like [x] and [y] that [have some property] ..." applies to everything that has the given property, not just the examples given.

Have to confess though that in my limited experience most code is not sensible :)

Gee, maybe I'll bring that up the next time that some of my code that wasn't well thought out results in a customer bug report that embarrasses the company, heh heh.

Actually I'm just confused... the text you quoted for the 1.40 update in the OP does not match what is listed here

Hmm ... it seems that there are multiple slightly different descriptions; see

https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/update-to-1-40.28062/

Your link with the unfortunately specific language was posted later. Frankly I think this sort of thing craps on customers, who take up space for a "prize" like the kiosk and then find out that they never get the goods. Since I don't have a "store building" button, I'm stuck with it.

DeletedUser27889

Gee, maybe you should use some
common sense
and see that A. You're speaking with a volunteer FORUM moderator who was just trying to help you, B you are not jaeliss'
jaelis did not write the code nor does posting on this forum mean you have filed a
bug report
heh heh.

My kiosk was motivated within minutes of me putting it down. It has been motivated long before collection everyday since and before my houses. Have you tried contacting game support to see what they know?

DeletedUser28015

If you want me to care about anything you say, don't be a total jerk who apparently didn't read or understand anything previously written here and intentionally takes my words out of context. You act as if I was critical or demanding of Jaelis, when nothing of the sort is true ... we simply had a conversation, and I appreciated his feedback. I can't say the same of you.

Over and out.