• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Make Attacking Interesting?

mamboking053

The battle mechanic is too safe for people who want to sit and city-build.

Basically, it's quite possible to breech defenses with enough effort, but there seems to be little reward for doing so. I unlocked Military Tactics about a week ago and since then went on a binge of around 40 or 50 battles. Most were easy and at first I thought this was luck, but then I realized people hardly bothered with a defense because everything was motivated. Most of the time the only thing I could plunder was some petty, rage-inducing amount of gold or supplies. This was the case in both the easiest defenses and well-defended cities.

Thinking back, I profited more by aiding all my neighbors then attacking them since I don't waste about an hour of my time and there was a chance I could find a blueprint. Not only that, the rewards for PVP aren't that good since you must battle enough to get into the first three slots. They aren't great rewards, and if you don't make it, there's no reward.

Other than GvG, the battling sucks.

Ways to improve.

Make the defending teams central stores of everything accessible and give the player a choice between gold, supplies, or goods. Gold, supplies, and goods hauled off can be dependent on the kind of victory or maybe the remaining troops left after the battle.

Then there may be the Deep Delver plunder. This requires that an attacker must fight an additional wave of defenders with the surviving troops from the first battle. This is going to be hard and, perhaps, nearly impossible, but for good reason. The player who succeeds here will be able to break into the secret and most guarded valuables of the city- FP points, diamonds, and possibly inventory. However, as stated above, nearly impossible odds of success is boring and frustrating. So maybe instead of a second battle, there is a sort of puzzle to work out, or maybe some sort of mini-game. This would be impossible at first. The attacker would need to invest in a Deep Delver skill to increase their chances of success. Not only this, but the defender can also research Booby Traps for a small, set chance of blocking the attackers success at plundering their deep delves.

I can understand if you don't want FP or diamonds to be up for plunder. So you might switch this with a significantly larger haul of gold, supplies, or goods. Also blueprints.

What I'm going for is what most video games go for to increase the sense of engagement. Risk. Make people feel their city has precious things in it. Make defending it an immediate threat. And perhaps offer a way around battling the defenders army so that the so called invincible late-game defense set-ups don't nullify this aspect of the game.

Further suggestions

* Infiltrators: an attacker must sacrifice a slot in their attack set-up to bring along an infiltrator. Each infiltrator increases the chance of an attacker breaking into the formidable vaults of the city. This percentage can never be higher than 20%, but success means a greater haul.

* Diplomat Technology: a tech that allows the player a small chance to make the defending city surrender without a fight. The chance of this is tiered to the relative strength of the attacking city. However, a significantly high battle score gains a slight buff towards success. Also, a person who manages to win 20 battles without losing or surrendering gains the Savage Buff, which is a significantly higher chance of the city surrendering out of fear, regardless of the defenses. This does not go above 12% in any scenario. This would improve the value of battling in my opinion.

* Disease/Sabotage: a tech that offers a slight chance of undermining defenses or troops strength before a battle starts.

* Insurrection: either a tech, or a unit that accompanies the battlefield and has a small chance of turning an enemy unit into an ally. If a unit is turned, the attacker effectively steals or plunders a unit from the defender. The chances of insurrection or vulnerability to it is increased in cities with low happiness.

Cheers

DeletedUser

(Disclaimer: This is not meant as an attack.) The fact of the matter is that you can plunder goods, medals and FP as well as coins and supplies. You can even plunder Guild Power Points (if you're in a guild). The reason you don't know this is because of your limited playing time and experience. If you want to see what can be plundered and also pick up some tips on it, look at this thread:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/plunder-progress.17692/

mamboking053

(Disclaimer: This is not meant as an attack.) The fact of the matter is that you can plunder goods, medals and FP as well as coins and supplies. You can even plunder Guild Power Points (if you're in a guild). The reason you don't know this is because of your limited playing time and experience. If you want to see what can be plundered and also pick up some tips on it, look at this thread:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/plunder-progress.17692/

Can you do this even if things are motivated or whatever? I saw that I could plunder an FP point, but that was only one time. Most other times, everything seemed motivated and even though they had goods production buildings and all that, I could only get gold or supplies.

Or is this something that just improves with time? Judging by the raids I've done, there's nothing appealing about it at this stage of the game.

Graviton

It's all about timing. If everything is motivated when you go to plunder somebody, wait for awhile and check back. Hopefully (for you) you'll catch something that can't be, or isn't yet, motivated. You've got 24 hours to plunder them, you don't have to do it right after the battle.

mamboking053

It's all about timing. If everything is motivated when you go to plunder somebody, wait for awhile and check back. Hopefully (for you) you'll catch something that can't be, or isn't yet, motivated. You've got 24 hours to plunder them, you don't have to do it right after the battle.

Gotcha. Thanks.

DeletedUser13736

Thinking back, I profited more by aiding all my neighbors then attacking them since I don't waste about an hour of my time and there was a chance I could find a blueprint. Not only that, the rewards for PVP aren't that good since you must battle enough to get into the first three slots. They aren't great rewards, and if you don't make it, there's no reward.
Once you get in the higher ages your experience will change. I know mine did. But you CAN plunder BP's, the rate may be lower (idk the stats) but it is possible. I have done it before.

DeletedUser

Can you do this even if things are motivated or whatever? I saw that I could plunder an FP point, but that was only one time. Most other times, everything seemed motivated and even though they had goods production buildings and all that, I could only get gold or supplies.

Or is this something that just improves with time? Judging by the raids I've done, there's nothing appealing about it at this stage of the game.
Buildings that are motivated are immune to plundering, but goods buildings cannot be motivated, so they can be plundered whenever they have finished their production cycle. Most set pieces, such as the ones from the current event, also cannot be motivated and so can be plundered also, if you get to them before the owner can collect the finished productions. Halls of Fame, which can be motivated, produce Guild Power Points and can be plundered if they're not motivated. Multi-production buildings, such as the Bazaar, Mad Scientist Lab, Terrace Farm and others, cannot be motivated and thus can be plundered also. As someone mentioned, it's all about timing. And the pickings are slim in the very early stages. It gets better.

mamboking053

Buildings that are motivated are immune to plundering, but goods buildings cannot be motivated, so they can be plundered whenever they have finished their production cycle. Most set pieces, such as the ones from the current event, also cannot be motivated and so can be plundered also, if you get to them before the owner can collect the finished productions. Halls of Fame, which can be motivated, produce Guild Power Points and can be plundered if they're not motivated. Multi-production buildings, such as the Bazaar, Mad Scientist Lab, Terrace Farm and others, cannot be motivated and thus can be plundered also. As someone mentioned, it's all about timing. And the pickings are slim in the very early stages. It gets better.

Yeah, I'm EMA.

Thanks, I think you just motivated me :)

DeletedUser31225

Yeah, I'm EMA.

Thanks, I think you just motivated me :)

EMA is good. Better learn to plunder in lower ages than higher ages.
You will need Zeus, CoA, CdM (LMA). Level them up. They will give you attack boost.
Send out friend request to players at LMA or higher. Aid/polish them daily for BPs.
Join a guild with a lot of higher age players. Aid/polish them daily for BPs.

Btw you do not need to watch whole 24 hours. You are playing against human beings. Humans need to work, sleep, eat, spend time with family/friends etc. Try early/late in the morning or early/late evening.

DeletedUser31054

The battle mechanic is too safe for people who want to sit and city-build.

Basically, it's quite possible to breech defenses with enough effort, but there seems to be little reward for doing so. I unlocked Military Tactics about a week ago and since then went on a binge of around 40 or 50 battles. Most were easy and at first I thought this was luck, but then I realized people hardly bothered with a defense because everything was motivated. Most of the time the only thing I could plunder was some petty, rage-inducing amount of gold or supplies. This was the case in both the easiest defenses and well-defended cities.

Other than GvG, the battling sucks.

Ways to improve.

Make the defending teams central stores of everything accessible and give the player a choice between gold, supplies, or goods. Gold, supplies, and goods hauled off can be dependent on the kind of victory or maybe the remaining troops left after the battle.

Then there may be the Deep Delver plunder. This requires that an attacker must fight an additional wave of defenders with the surviving troops from the first battle. This is going to be hard and, perhaps, nearly impossible, but for good reason. The player who succeeds here will be able to break into the secret and most guarded valuables of the city- FP points, diamonds, and possibly inventory. However, as stated above, nearly impossible odds of success is boring and frustrating. So maybe instead of a second battle, there is a sort of puzzle to work out, or maybe some sort of mini-game. This would be impossible at first. The attacker would need to invest in a Deep Delver skill to increase their chances of success. Not only this, but the defender can also research Booby Traps for a small, set chance of blocking the attackers success at plundering their deep delves.

I can understand if you don't want FP or diamonds to be up for plunder. So you might switch this with a significantly larger haul of gold, supplies, or goods. Also blueprints.

What I'm going for is what most video games go for to increase the sense of engagement. Risk. Make people feel their city has precious things in it. Make defending it an immediate threat. And perhaps offer a way around battling the defenders army so that the so called invincible late-game defense set-ups don't nullify this aspect of the game.

Further suggestions

* Infiltrators: an attacker must sacrifice a slot in their attack set-up to bring along an infiltrator. Each infiltrator increases the chance of an attacker breaking into the formidable vaults of the city. This percentage can never be higher than 20%, but success means a greater haul.

* Diplomat Technology: a tech that allows the player a small chance to make the defending city surrender without a fight. The chance of this is tiered to the relative strength of the attacking city. However, a significantly high battle score gains a slight buff towards success. Also, a person who manages to win 20 battles without losing or surrendering gains the Savage Buff, which is a significantly higher chance of the city surrendering out of fear, regardless of the defenses. This does not go above 12% in any scenario. This would improve the value of battling in my opinion.

* Disease/Sabotage: a tech that offers a slight chance of undermining defenses or troops strength before a battle starts.

* Insurrection: either a tech, or a unit that accompanies the battlefield and has a small chance of turning an enemy unit into an ally. If a unit is turned, the attacker effectively steals or plunders a unit from the defender. The chances of insurrection or vulnerability to it is increased in cities with low happiness.

Cheers

My entire response I posted earlier got mysteriously deleted. I am not going to post it all again, instead I'll give you the Cliff Notes version:
I agree with you in principle, but in practice, Inno can't just give away SoKs, Terrace Farms, and diamonds and leave out all the crap (coins, supplies, happiness cubes, and rogues when you already have a Rogue hideout and Azcatraz).

It's just not practical.

Last edited by a moderator: