• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Max helpful Attacking army Attack and defense percentage

xivarmy

That idea is big in one of my Guilds. And the claim is fewer losses of troops. I disagree however.
First off that was developed before Space Ages began. And IMO Keen Eye changes the picture a lot.
Surviving a Keen Eye hit is important.
Plus the unmentioned fact of "who goes first" matters a great deal in attack/defense ratios. a fact totally ignored in the blanket 72.5% ratio notion.
Also that ratio was developed back when getting attack army defense was very hard to acquire. Which is no longer true at all. And IMO that may have set some bias in the numbers.
There's a few modes that make sense:

For attack >> defense, your defense almost doesn't matter. It'll do something at low attrition but you don't need very much for that purpose, what you get from GBs probably is enough. This tends to be optimum for attrition ceiling as the following mode will be "wasting space" on defense to take > 5 damage *anyways* near their cap (one special exception that I'll discuss last).

For attack > defense, your defense exists to reduce damage taken at low to medium attrition. For GBG farmers this is often what matters most to them anyways - some ability to go to high attrition and comfy fighting at low to medium attrition. 72.5% of attack as defense would fit this bill - probably optimizing for medium-attrition : desire to have AO crit still be a OHK (requiring attack of 2.25* defender's defense to be 100% reliable) and to take reduced damage per hit (requiring defense of about 67% more than defender's attack to on average take twice as many hits to die and reliably not get one-shot by keeneye). Assuming attack and defense stats on units are about the same, this would be ~75% of attack as defense. This is optimizing for a region that is *well short* of your actual attrition cap - but if all you want to do is hit the loot pinata fast, it probably suits you. Note that the ratio would probably be somewhat lower in Jupiter because of base defense > base attack.

For defense > attack, you're starting to optimize around taking hits near your attrition cap (but possibly not at your attrition cap). This isn't likely to have reliable results quite yet, so this is probably the region that has least to recommend it. One possible exception would be if you're resting on a force field unit, it may be taking use of your defense at this point (Steel Warden in Mars probably the best option). It also might start to be viable in SAJM because of units having base defense > base attack.

For defense >> attack, you are likely benefitting from both stats all the way to your cap and are *highly* effective at mitigating damage at medium attrition. "Equal Space" was my guideline for this - resting on sentinel outposts for the defense (which it's hard to get enough) - but these days you'd go to things like Eagle Mountain and Heroes Tavern that give both for the attack - and then supplement with some sentinel outposts. This remains an extremely difficult target to reach efficiently (I'm kinda trying in one world) so it's hard to say in practice how well it works compared to just stacking attack...

*Special Exception: Flyers vs Artillery-laden defenses at 150 Attrition!

Here you're looking for two specific things from your boost:

1) to not take 10 damage from a non-keen eye hit.
2) If you can moving the needle out of 1 damage dealt. (would make it a lot more viable without constant-resets til you get enough AO-KeenEye procs to have a bigger number to multiply)

So you're not looking for a ratio so much as individual targets.

We'll look at Mars & Jupiter as these are the two ages that matter most (Keen Eye is a big factor in making this work well because it multiplies your pitiful damage, especially combined with an AO crit :p).

Sentinel vs SAM : To never take more than 9 damage from any enemy unit @12000% boost requires 1487% defense - getting meaningfully further than this is not realistic. To start *possibly* doing more than 1 base damage against even a single enemy non-artillery unit requires 2395% (moves dmg vs sentinel to 1-2). To reach 1-3 at minimum vs all non-artillery units requires 4484% attack.

Abyssal Glider vs SAJM : To never take more than 9 damage from any enemy unit @12000% boost requires 1204% defense - getting meaningfully further than this is not realistic. To start doing more than 1 base damage against even a single enemy non-artillery unit requires 3082% attack (and that's the harpoon glider that you probably don't want to be fighting because of contact). To reach 1-3 at minimum vs all non-artillery units requires 5335% attack.

52 Blue

That idea is big in one of my Guilds. And the claim is fewer losses of troops. I disagree however.
First off that was developed before Space Ages began. And IMO Keen Eye changes the picture a lot.
Surviving a Keen Eye hit is important.
Plus the unmentioned fact of "who goes first" matters a great deal in attack/defense ratios. a fact totally ignored in the blanket 72.5% ratio notion.
Also that ratio was developed back when getting attack army defense was very hard to acquire. Which is no longer true at all. And IMO that may have set some bias in the numbers.
Yeah well i try not to put to much into what people say so i never used it as a guide just curious as to how much truth was in that.

Ebeondi Asi

One issue missed in this is... Just about everyone has what they managed to win for Attack Boost and attack army defense boosts.... and not the ideal in their mind. Particularly early on!
Long time players have more of a luxury of pick and choose because over time they may have collected a lot more things.

Just An Observer

Just wow lol
If you played MtG back in the Nineties, you would remember a deck which gave a medium-grade player a puncher's chance was the red deck loaded with direct damage. When it ran hot, you won! In FoE, the equivalent is piling up those Sentinels to create space management opportunities so one can place the Attack buildings and store the ones which are just Defense. This is where you spend a ton of Diamonds when events that give lots of chances to score the Daily Prize have the Sentinel Level 1's and Level 2 kits show up.

mineseA

I'm so confused about how people get their ATK/DEF boosts so high. A level 193 CdM only gives 122% attack boost. Any tips for how to maximize boosts really quickly?

xivarmy

I'm so confused about how people get their ATK/DEF boosts so high. A level 193 CdM only gives 122% attack boost. Any tips for how to maximize boosts really quickly?
Event Buildings, A lot of event buildings - particularly the most efficient ones. And particularly in higher ages where you have more expansions to place more of them.

xivarmy

Examples please? My ATK/DEF are both at like 200% right now. Much appreciated.
Believing you to be in lower ages from your participation in the higher age units thread, here's a portion of my boost overview in my industrial city with turturrets:

1666496878851.png

The list is *much* longer than this, but for instance 22*12 from wheat = 262%; 26x7 = 182% from the checkmate squares. 10x10 = 100% from the stage of ages. That's 544 of the total. Only the wheat are "optimum" of those 3 for this era - once I finish tuning everything in the city I could be getting close to 2500% - in industrial.

Angry.Blanket

Believing you to be in lower ages from your participation in the higher age units thread, here's a portion of my boost overview in my industrial city with turturrets:

View attachment 19895

The list is *much* longer than this, but for instance 22*12 from wheat = 262%; 26x7 = 182% from the checkmate squares. 10x10 = 100% from the stage of ages. That's 544 of the total. Only the wheat are "optimum" of those 3 for this era - once I finish tuning everything in the city I could be getting close to 2500% - in industrial.
You think you can get 2500 in indy ?

xivarmy

You think you can get 2500 in indy ?
I have a theoretical layout plan that hits 2468 using mostly wheat, and assuming lvl 95 great buildings. 2500 is possible with extra GB levels. But the layout is extreme on needing a lot of 1 specific set of buildings.

xivarmy

How long did it take you to get those boosts. I always feel like I am extremely far behind.
That's on Carthage, which is 1 year old approximately.

Play *every* event with a plan on a new city. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good starting out (why for instance I have 26 checkmate squares even though I don't value them much at all - they were a convenient special in an event and I stacked em up)

Emberguard

Examples please? My ATK/DEF are both at like 200% right now. Much appreciated.
Early on the most time-effective way to increase your stats in bulk is using things like Chain Links or buildings that don't have levels

Once you've run out of space, then you can prioritise the strongest multi-level buildings to replace the weakest buildings in your city.