• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Memorial Day Contest

DeletedUser4770

137 years later, Memorial Day remains one of America's most cherished patriotic observances. The spirit of this day has not changed - it remains a day to honor those who died defending our freedom and democracy. Here in the U.S. we honor our fallen soldiers each Memorial Day. This Memorial Day we'd like to give you a chance to tell us of any fallen soldier, they may be in your gold star family or not. We honor these brave soldiers and thank them for making the ultimate sacrifice.

Contest: Write a short story telling your fellow Forgers about a fallen soldier
Start Date: 2019-05-24
End Date: 2019-05-31

Prize: Chosen at random from all entires. Grand Prize will be 1000 diamonds. First through third place (1st 2nd, 3rd) will receive 100 forge points each.

"It is foolish to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." ~ George S. Patton

Godly Luke

So this is about my uncle's brother back in Vietnam.

He was scheduled with his entire platoon to head through a town and off to some other base. Their convoy was ambushed and he was the only one left alive. Shrapnel in his back and a leg missing, he crawled back to base (10 miles) and was sent to one of the MASH camps where he remained until he was sent home. He died shortly after.

DeletedUser38811

My father, step father and father -in-law were all Marines during WWII. My father rarely spoke of his time, my step father never....but my father-in-law shared one memory, repeatedly over the years. He was on Iwo Jima, and was a Marine who had taught hand-to-hand combat to new recruits in Virginia. and he was the college state light heavyweight champion, before enlisting. He was a man's man.
But during the battle he saw his best friend machine gunned down, while in a tree attempting to provide cover....
He went on to become a very successful father, husband and friend to all who knew him....
But he would always return to the image of his friend...the remorse of a soldier, "why him, and not me?'...
Jim never forgot his best friend Ike. Ever.
I'm going to be thinking about Ike this weekend, and on lots of weekends....W are always happy for those who survived....but we tend to forget tose who did not come home.... Jim never forgot you Ike...neither will I...THANK YOU IKE for ginving your life to our country....

Douglas 221

While it has been going on for 137 years in the United States, we must remember how it began. My story is of the fallen soldiers who fought to free the slaves.

'Three weeks after the Confederate surrender, an unusual procession entered the former camp: On May 1, 1865, more than 1,000 recently freed slaves, accompanied by regiments of the U.S. Colored Troops (including the Massachusetts 54th Infantry) and a handful of white Charlestonians, gathered in the camp to consecrate a new, proper burial site for the Union dead. The group sang hymns, gave readings and distributed flowers around the cemetery, which they dedicated to the “Martyrs of the Race Course.”' History Channel, May 15, 2019

The union soldiers (US Army) were buried in a mass grave by the confederate army. The freed slaves and the 54th infantry dug the bodies out of the grave and dug an individual grave for each man killed with a proper burial. My salute goes to those brave people who did the right thing for our soldiers by giving them a proper and decent burial while honoring their service.

DeletedUser40404

My uncle, after whom I was named, was a scholar and an athlete in both high school and college, was married to an awesome lady, and volunteered for duty during WWII. He didn’t have to go because of his job but felt that it was his obligation to defend his country. He was an officer in an Airborne unit and lead many missions but, toward the very end of the war, was shot while parachuting into Japan. This is an violation of the Treaty of Versailles. My father made it through the war and my brother and I made it through Vietnam, but we still think about, and miss my uncle.

DeletedUser40061

I love writing stories both fiction and based on true stories...however my dad, even though he served during the korean conflict in 50's was a cook. He had a very old cookbook that he kept all these years, is now gone missing. It was like his bible that had over 1000 recipes he created. I beleive he cooked tasty meals for his soldier buddies while fighting the front lines. And even visited several MASH units. In his unit he even cooked meals for the guard dog who patrolled the grounds! I think that is all the details i have ATM.

E. GOWARRIOR

My father passed away in 2007, fought in the Pacific during World War 2. It was near the end of the war, after the bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki most knew the end of the war was near. One day his CO told a group of men to get their gear and board that plane over there, nothing else was said. The plane took off on a course that was heading straight to mainland Japan. My Dad and the others were a bit nervous, even more so when the plane started to land in a field on the mainland. The soldiers were ordered to line up and wait. Soon a line of Japanese officers emerged and stood in a line facing the Americans. An order was given and the Japanese undid their swords and laid them at the Americans feet. They also laid down their guns. My Dad picked up the sword and shotgun in front of him and got back on the plane. It was a ceremonial surrender. The plane flew back over the USS Missouri where the peace treaty ending the war would be signed the next day. I still have the sword, it is my most prized possession. I still believe the cancer that killed my Dad (at age 87) was a result of being on the mainland of Japan so soon after the bombs dropped.

DeletedUser40408

Being a 28 year old veteran of two tours , one in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, I can see how this may be a touchy subject for some. Although I believe the intention is good and that's what matters in the current climate we live in. I can recall one of my fellow infantrymen who had fallen while in-country. I think about him often since this has happened and it continues to move me. Getting a chance to tell his story is an honor and I hope you can see the selflessness in it. He was 19 years old and nothing more than a private first class and the youngest member of my squad. In Afghanistan, we were met with combat quite often , but one time, in particular, changed my view on a lot of things and put the war into perspective. Although most of Afghanistan was very mountainous and rugged, we did encounter some urban environments on patrol occasionally. This one, in particular, would private Jackson's last patrol. While making our way towards the building that we were engaging, a different squad member was struck in the thigh and went down. When it happened it looked like he was hit much worse. In a matter of seconds, private Jackson acted, ran into the line of fire, grabbed the downed soldier by the back of his body armor and drug him out of the fire and into safety. Once there we realized private Jackson was struck multiple times. I wish I could tell you that he lived to fight another day but our world isn't like the movies. it is often much harsher. His actions saved that soldiers life and I know for a fact that he is forever grateful. There are plenty of stories like this and they deserved to be told. Private Jackson made the ultimate sacrifice and he forever changed my life ... Rest in Peace Battle Buddy and god ( whichever you prefer ) bless America.

DeletedUser40407

My hero is my grandfather,

This is a real american hero. He pleaded with his high school to graduate early so he could enlist I. the WWII effort. My grandfather was on the beach and saw things he never spoke about. He never "talked up" his military career. As so many do today.

He allways said, "it was somthing my country needed me to do, and I was proud to do it.

Both of his brothers gave there lives in Veitnam and he never held it against anyone.

"Devin, war is war. It's not there fault there fighting for there country. Blame the country if you must not the men fighting it."

His quotes always moved me to my soul. He was present on the invasion beaches and on the vessel where the Japanese surrender act was signed. He worked in the Pentagon as Commander of Logistics. He stayed enlisted in the guard until his body was unable to continue. He was an amazing teacher of gun saftey. My fingers hurt just from thinking about it. He would walk them in a second if you put a finger in a trigger well before you needed to. He took us camping every year and taught us survial skills. Not boasting about it telling us its nessicary. He is so important to me becuase life has changed so much. Today we see flags burnt on college campus' people screaming and yelling about so many things that dont matter in such derogatory terms. Screaming about hate while beating and destroying people and towns. I'm scared for the world my daughter has to grow up in. What it could be soon. I wish more people could of been exposed to my hero. Or more people were like him. We need this sense of loyalty and patriotism. A blind need to respect your country and your fellow man. My grandfather lit a fire in my soul and molded me into the man I am today. I'm forever thankful.

Wait, Leon E. NORTH GREENBUSH Brigadier General Leon E. Wait, U.S. Army retired, 83, of Pine Avenue, died Thursday, January 1, 2009 at Samaritan Hospital after a brief illness. Born in Troy, he was son of the late LeGrande B. Wait and Mary (Quell) Wait and husband of Elizabeth (Guida) Teeling Wait and the late Anne M. Kolenberg Wait for 52 years. He had resided in the Troy area all his life. He was a graduate of Sacred Heart School in Troy and Averill Park High School. For 10 years, he was a professor of military science and tactics at La Salle Institute in Troy (Honor NDCC School), a NYS Hunting Safety instructor since 1960, a rifle and pistol instructor for the NRA, a home safety instructor, an instructor for the Eddie Eagle School program and an instructor for the War College in Fort Leavenworth and Carlisle. Leon enlisted in the NY National Guard in December 1942 and Marines in November 1943, serving in the South Pacific Theatre, was discharged in 1946 as a Corporal and re-enlisted in the NY Guard as a sergeant the same day with his kid brothers, Bernie and John. He was U.S. Army Retired after 54 years in the Marines and Army as a Brigadier General. During his service, he was involved in the Battle at Okinawa, Guam and China. He participated in the ceremony at the surrender of the Japanese military forces in the area of TSINGTAO, China in October 1945. Leon was in the 3rd and 6th Marine Divisions and was deputy commander of logistics at the Pentagon. He also worked as a certified life underwriter for John Hancock Insurance Company for 30 years, retiring many years ago. For two years, he was town clerk for the town of North Greenbush. A life member of the VFW #729 Watervliet, 30 years North Greenbush Ambulance Association, the Marine Corps League, Karner Rod & Gun Club Albany. He was an endowment member of the NRA and a member of the Hendrick Hudson Fish & Game Club Averill Park, Burlington Flats Rifle & Pistol Club, Retired Officers Association,
retiree service office of the Watervliet Arsenal, 4th Degree K of C Rensselaer, K of C St. Jude's and Troy Seniors. In 2005, the NYS Assembly proclaimed him "North Greenbush Man of the Year." He lived to hunt and fish and traveled to every state in the U.S. and 30 plus foreign countries and especially loved hunting in Alaska. He was predeceased by two brothers, Sgt. Bernard Wait, killed in Vietnam, and CWO John Wait.

To people who may find this offensive. This isn't a contest of who's got the better story. It is the creators trying to influance people to talk about real heroes. Somthing this country has lost. People today wont do anything for anyone for nothing. It's just a tool to get some people exposed to a story that might alter there thinking.

To all Vets and current service members. You give us the freedoms we abuse so regularly today. I'm thankful for every drop of sweat and blood you and your brothers shared for us. If you havent heard it before or in a while. Thank you, truly thank you for being somones hero.

HenryHorace

I should like to take this opportunity to honor the six members of the Third Marine Recon team who served in the Republic of Vietnam in 1969. This team was inserted into the mountains north of the Khe Sahn valley to scout out enemy activity reported in the area. They were inserted just before dark to establish their base and setup for the next day's observation. Around one o'clock in the morning, all hell broke lose on them. They were assualted with heavy machinegun and mortar fire; the fight was extremely intense and regrettably short for the members of that team. In less than ten minutes, they all perished. They had the bad luck of being inserted into the middle of an NVA regiment, several thousand in number. To make matters worse, their actual insertion was witnessed by the enemy who then knew exactly where they were and what they were. As the Artillery Officer for the Third Marine Division, I had the responsibility to direct the artillery support fire directly on their positions as a final attempt to drive the enemy off but there were too many to have the desired effect. We saturated the area with continuous fire from several artillery positions all night long. In the morning, air reconnisence was sent to view the insertion point. The team never had a chance of survival. All we could do then was make the enemy paid dearly for the loss of six brave Marines who perished fighting. We did retire their call sign in honor of these Marines.

DeletedUser40417

Dusk, September 23, 1968

In the South China Sea, the USS Intrepid is launching and landing 24 Skyhawk A-4's and support aircraft every 90 minutes. The work is hard for the entire crew. 12 hours on 12 hours off. Steam upwind, then downwind. Launch and recover.

Occasionally a plane will "crunch" during landing. "Hung Bombs" routinely release upon landing, bounce on the deck and splash harmlessly into the ocean. The days and nights are 99% filled with routine and hard work.

Towards dusk, word comes down about a damaged Skyhawk attempting to land. There's a little more tension now. We only see the light on the wing. We've seen thousands. This one indicates the bird's in trouble. All eyes are on it for the 30 second final approach. Count 30 seconds.

Nose up, nose down. Too fast, too slow, and upon touch down, way too slow. The Skyhawk gives up the will to fly, makes a left turn and crashes into the deck, the landing signal officer's platform and then the ocean.

Big explosion and "birds" in the air with nowhere to go. They've got to land or crash, we have to make the deck ready. Perform. Do your job. Two dead, one dying and one badly injured.

Bobby Lee Spencer is dying. He was the radio man for the Landing Signal Officer and my friend. His left leg and right arm were ripped from his body by the A-4. We put him into a litter and immediately took him to the operating room where he died.

I visit his name on The Wall. Panel 42W, Line 2. I think about sacrifice and I often wonder if anyone else even thinks about Bobby these days. His death hurts more now than it did at dusk, on the 23rd of September, 1968. Now I've got the time.

bruce edgerly roemmelt

DeletedUser36559

Growing up as the only girl out of 5 kids, I always felt close to my Dad.

As I grew older, he used to tell me about all his experiences in WWII. He was a proud man and would never complain about anything.

One day he told me the story about how he lost his hearing in one of his ears. I always had to be careful when waking him up because he was easily startled if he was laying on his "good ear". He was a gun loader for one of the huge guns. One day it went off before he could get away from it. He said the pain was excruciating and he never heard out of that ear again. He always said he was one of the lucky ones. His stories were always "glass half full", instead of "half empty". He taught me a lot in life and he is the reason I pay it forward to this day to anyone that may need it.
Thanks Dad

DeletedUser40414

Hello fellow Forgers, Just want to enter a post that will memorialize my Dad this memorial day. He was a sharp shooter in the armed infantry of the US Army. He was a very Gallant man on the battle field and so to away from the Korean War. He loved this country and was a Patriot everyday. He taught me to be strong and respectful, of the things I have because they were paid for with blood sweat and tears. Strength and Honor.

DeletedUser29150

I am a Canadian Veteran. While I am not looking to participate in your contest I do have something to share with you. Here in Canada we celebrate Remembrance Day on Nov 11 where we remember and honor all our service men and women who fought and gave their lives for Freedom. We as Canadians have long stood by and fought with our American brethren for this cause. During the Afghan conflict we lost many soldiers and an epitaph was built in Kandahar to remember and honor our fallen. When the Canadian Forces were withdrawn, our government decided to bring that epitaph to Canada. However they have decided that this is something best hidden and forgotten and have placed it in a restricted area within the National Defense Headquarters where only a select few can visit and view it. This is shameful, a disgrace and dishonorable to both the fallen soldiers, their families and all Canadians. This epitaph should have been given a place of honor in the National War Museum where everybody can visit it and pay their respects and ensure that their children know and understand the price of freedom.

"Freedom comes at a cost and those who would take it from you will give no quarter."

DeletedUser37190

This about two of the most important men in my life ( both who Have passed ) my father who served in the navy during ww2 both over seas and patrolling the Delaware river he taught the value of working hard for what you want. My Uncle who was a veteran of ww2 , Korea , and Vietnam who taught me that no sacrifice is two big to make for your country. And they both taught me how important it is to respect your country and to respect the office of the President of the United States no matter if you agree with the President or not.

DeletedUser40418

My grandfather is my Memorial Day Hero. He enlisted into the Army during WWII..although he was afraid of heights, he was sent off to paratrooper school and eventually landed in the coveted 101st Airborne in the "secretive" Glider Infantry Division. Glider meaning the craft had no engine...was towed into position and cut free to crash land into enemy territory. His plane was part of the Normandy invasion and was shot down in the darkness of night by friendly fire. Only two men survived the crash my grandfather being one of them. When morning came they realized they had crashed landed into a field surrounded by Nazi SS troops. Gramps and his mate held off the encroaching enemy for hours killing dozens of them. My grandfather told me one of the men he killed actually died standing up, his muscles so tense he didn't fall over. Eventually his position was overrun by the Germans and they were taken captive.. He was taken to an internment camp where he would spend more than a year trying to survive starvation and beatings. He ate whatever he could find, typically whatever the pigs wouldn't eat. He was listed as "Killed In Action" by the government. He was eventually repatriated after the war ended coming home to a family that thought for a year he was dead. My grandfather received many medals including 2 purple hearts, the silver and bronze stars among others. . He died of pneumonia due to lack of basic care at the age of 94. I miss him every day.

DeletedUser40419

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!! EVERYTHING WE TAKE FOR GRANTED SOMEONE HAS SWEATED AND CRIED AND BLED AND YES DIED JUST SO WE CAN TAKE THESE FREEDOMS FOR GRANTED!!! Im not trying to win and thankfully i havent lost anyone in service. I DO HAVE a father who served in the ARMY. A husband who also served in the ARMY. and my 18 year old nephew is joining the NAVY in under a month. So please just remember all the fallen people and all the many people fighting for our freedom!!!! Please!!!!!

DeletedUser39692

My father in law was in the Korean War. My husband has told me the story many times of his time on one of the beaches. At night the Korean's would approach and kill our soldiers. They developed a strategy to dig a hole in the sand and cover themselves at night. This was something that unnerved my father in law. He could hear the Korean's walking over him. My husband still has the gun his father kept in his shoe and the knife from his belt.

DeletedUser40423

I have several men in my family who served our country but the one I would like to honor here is my grandfather. He was on one of the destroyer ships in the Pacific Ocean during ww2 when the Japanese plains started the comocozy attacks. One hit his ship one the back side while he was manning a gun on the front side. He told me once that there wasn’t any other tine in his life that he was more scared than then. He made it home and died a good old age of 82.