• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Answered] Mercenaries or Armored Infantry?

DeletedUser

If there was a choice in building mercenaries or armored infantry.......you'd choose??

DeletedUser

Armored Infantry please - they give my archers more battlepoints ;-)

Seriously though, if you really need to build any of them, go for the Mercenaries as they are cheaper and their barracks eat up 129 less population. They also move a bit further, they're good against cavalry which can help sometimes, plus they get a defensive bonus when hiding in bushes or in the forest.

The only advantages Armored Infantrists have is their better base defense in open terrain and they fight well against light melee units.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The general consensus is that short ranged units (other than mounted archers) and some long ranged units are the only ones that aren't totally useless.

DeletedUser

Armored infantry if you want them to walk to their death and mercenary if you want them to run to their death.

Either one will help out your attackers. :)

DeletedUser

Armored infantry if you want them to walk to their death and mercenary if you want them to run to their death.

Nominated for PotD ;-)

DeletedUser34

LOLOLOL, what if I want to fly to my death?

DeletedUser

LOL, i had to make a mounted archer just to be in on the EMA PVP tower,,,, + all archers and one legion.... conquered that nasty wench.... and
Yeah, why so many useless troops?
4 hours for a horse?

DeletedUser

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with mercenaries. Armoured infantry and their heavy counterparts across the ages are utterly useless, nothing else matters when they can't even reach you. I once killed two full health armoured infantry with one archer.

DeletedUser2196

You know.. I have to disagree with most of the statements in this thread. I have found some of the armored units to be really helpful. Especially if you use them wisely. I mostly use them to taken punishment. Have 2-3 in your attacks and place them in front of your archers and you will be surprised at how well they can handle some attacks. Especially if you place them in squares that give them even more defense.

I would place 3 units of armor in a line and directly behind them are my archers. Now once they are lined up, I DONT move them anymore. I just let the enemy come to me. (This doesnt work against long range units like ballistas and such.) But my armored units can take 3-5 hits before going down. Giving my archers in the back free reign to attack without fear of getting hit. I took down 4 heavy cavalry units without losing one archer. I lost two legionnaires but I thought it was a pretty good battle. I was able to easily kill off the rest of the units with the cavalry out of the way.

idk.. I guess it all depends on how u use them.

DeletedUser

As cannon fodder, they are useful. As for defense, they are walking dead.

DeletedUser

If there was a choice in building mercenaries or armored infantry.......you'd choose??
Armored infantry.
Don't pay attention to these guys, they are game shelled and have played it for so long, they forgot what it was like to see their first legionnaire hack your spear guy in 1 stroke.

They pack a wallop, and I flay archers all day long with them.
Once they reach their target, SLICE.
But since is a game of balance, I am assuming you also have a heavy cavalry option too. Both in tandem, make those archers like bugs. NOW, Crossbows are mean, so be careful not to confuse the two.
It's how you fight them.
As they draw near, your guys jump ahead using the defense. Reduce the numbers, as archers still pack a wallop even if damaged. after a bit, you'll notice you horse in the rear and just let him loose.
Then again, if your attacking a player with 8 archers, you'll need 8 cavalry. and skewer them where they stand.