• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Military advice for Future Era

DeletedUser27023

Which military buildings did you build in FE? For some reason I don't see much advice about fighting there. I think I read about using Rail Guns but those are at the end of the research line. I think I also read that someone was using Exos. Any help here would be appreciated. I skipped over most of TE and CE spoiled me so any details would be very helpful.

DeletedUser

Which military buildings did you build in FE? For some reason I don't see much advice about fighting there. I think I read about using Rail Guns but those are at the end of the research line. I think I also read that someone was using Exos. Any help here would be appreciated. I skipped over most of TE and CE spoiled me so any details would be very helpful.
If there are no Hover Tanks or other stealth units, I use a Hover Tank with 7 Rogues. If there are Hover Tanks, I'll generally use a Hover Tank and either a Rail Gun or Exoskeleton Soldier with 6 Rogues. If it is 4 or more Hover Tank/stealth units, I'll use either a Rail Gun or Exo with 7 Rogues. And I really, really miss CE. :)

DeletedUser27023

I woke up today to start GE for the first time since skipping TE and going directly to FE. OMG! The first troops start with a +65 bonus?! Crazy. I felt so demoralized I wish I could have turned back the clock 3days and gone back to CE. This is going to be a painful process. I would not recommend anyone skip TE outright because it’s important that you learn the troops even if you don’t use them.

So now I’ve built Hovertank Base and an Exo Factory. I’m not sure if I should build any others or multiples of what I have now. Thanks Stephen for the advice above. I know I’ll just have to die a lot until I figure this out. I was use to finishing level 4 each week. I don’t even know if I’ll finish level 1 this week.

DeletedUser

I woke up today to start GE for the first time since skipping TE and going directly to FE. OMG! The first troops start with a +65 bonus?! Crazy. I felt so demoralized I wish I could have turned back the clock 3days and gone back to CE. This is going to be a painful process. I would not recommend anyone skip TE outright because it’s important that you learn the troops even if you don’t use them.

So now I’ve built Hovertank Base and an Exo Factory. I’m not sure if I should build any others or multiples of what I have now. Thanks Stephen for the advice above. I know I’ll just have to die a lot until I figure this out. I was use to finishing level 4 each week. I don’t even know if I’ll finish level 1 this week.
Yeah, that bonus hits you hard at first. And you have to keep adjusting your attacking army as you go. I know how much you miss CE, because I miss it just as much. Skipping TE is okay as long as you have good attack boost and are able to use the Tavern attack boost. TE units stink. The only things really to know about TE units are that you have to hit the Ultra AP first from your maximum range or very close to it so you don't get hit with the return shot, and to kill the Microwave Blaster before it hits anything other than an untransformed Rogue because it has Heat ability which reduces a unit's attack by 20% for each time it is hit by one. For some reason the Heat ability doesn't affect Rogues until after they're transformed. The other TE units are crap. :)

qaccy

For some reason the Heat ability doesn't affect Rogues until after they're transformed.

The hit that transforms the Rogue does apply the Heat effect as well; just wanted to correct that bit. I do agree that the TE units are pretty underwhelming (excluding Champions), but that also means they're pretty easy to fight against.

@iAmArtemis Hover Tanks will work very well against pretty much everything except Rail Guns and other Hover Tanks. Rogues actually aren't very effective when paired with them in a lot of situations*, but you're likely to have a lot more of them than you are actual Hover Tanks so it works well enough. The toughest battles will be the ones that pair artillery and heavy units, as in FE they complement each other very well by cancelling out each others' weaknesses. Until you get access to Rail Guns yourself those will be the trickiest battles, especially once you're seeing FE units instead of TE.

wolfhoundtoo

With a bit of luck on the map you draw you can sometimes draw in enemy hover tanks so that they expose themselves on hexes other than plains allowing you to damage or kill off a few. When facing hovers and Railguns it is important to consider how much damage you can do to the Railguns between salvos as they do tend to put a beating on your hovers. Usually rogues will allow you to get close enough by to kill off 1 or 2 enemy rails before they can fire again.

DeletedUser29726

GvG:
pretty much rails + rogues - even against their counters they can win if you have enough boost or the rapid deployment sticks them in stupid places - and it can be autoed from the map

GE :
- against TE units hover + rogues is pretty solid
- against FE units exo + rogues is usually better than hover + rogue (the ONLY thing hovers are better against than exos amongst FE units is the sat spotter - if there's 2+ spotters stick with the hovers)
- don't forget the TE combat drone - best rail killer you've got (though post rail-nerf exos don't do too bad at that), its main issue is hover tanks
- rail + rogues works on lots of stuff still but you almost certainly lose 1-2 units whatever the defense because of the every other turn mechanic and have no real control over which 1-2 you lose and thus you can accidentally wind up screwed for 2nd wave

general tips
- when dealing with exos on defense they don't charge forward if other unit types are still alive (even if in range where they could attacK) - get a feel for how close you can get without being attacked back by them and you can leave them for a round or two without taking damage from them
- exoskeletal soldiers auto terribly - because of the blast ability they try to move next to the things they're hitting and wind up eating retaliation from hover tanks amongst other things thus giving up the advantage they have of being able to hit through stealth ;)
- you're going to bleed rogues much more than most ages in GE - get that traz moving

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The hit that transforms the Rogue does apply the Heat effect as well; just wanted to correct that bit.
You should only correct me if you're right...which in this case you're not. To test this I just fought 2 battles, one had a Microwave Blaster, the other had the Satellite Spotter. These 2 units both have "Heat" ability. Both hit a Rogue and transformed it. Neither one had the "Heat" effect applied to those Rogues. Both Rogues still had the same attack capability as Rogues transformed by the other enemy units in the battles.

DeletedUser27023

[QUOTE="@iAmArtemis[/USER] Until you get access to Rail Guns yourself those will be the trickiest battles, especially once you're seeing FE units instead of TE.[/QUOTE]

So, I’m not sure what to do here. I thought I’d skip TE and figured I would be in FE for a long while. Well, Rail Guns are at the end of research. Do I actually complete ALL of my research and have nothing left for events and Daily Chalkenge? I did buy some troops just to get things going. Are you guys recommending I complete all research or try and win them in GE? Btw, is it worth staying in FE for a long time?

DeletedUser

So, I’m not sure what to do here. I thought I’d skip TE and figured I would be in FE for a long while. Well, Rail Guns are at the end of research. Do I actually complete ALL of my research and have nothing left for events and Daily Chalkenge? I did buy some troops just to get things going. Are you guys recommending I complete all research or try and win them in GE? Btw, is it worth staying in FE for a long time?
Win them in GE. If you are staying in FE for a long while, use GE to your advantage. If you have a Traz and Rogue Hideout, you'll be fine. Exo Soldiers are about as good as Rail Guns when you figure in that Rail Guns only shoot every other turn.

DeletedUser

Hover Tanks will work very well against pretty much everything except Rail Guns and other Hover Tanks. Rogues actually aren't very effective when paired with them in a lot of situations
This is also not very good advice. Rogues with a Hover Tank are extremely effective in many situations. I am currently in FE and use that lineup well over half the time. And I use it all the time in PvP when I don't know what I'll be facing.

BruteForceAttack

[QUOTE="@iAmArtemis[/USER] Until you get access to Rail Guns yourself those will be the trickiest battles, especially once you're seeing FE units instead of TE.

So, I’m not sure what to do here. I thought I’d skip TE and figured I would be in FE for a long while. Well, Rail Guns are at the end of research. Do I actually complete ALL of my research and have nothing left for events and Daily Chalkenge? I did buy some troops just to get things going. Are you guys recommending I complete all research or try and win them in GE? Btw, is it worth staying in FE for a long time?[/QUOTE]

Camping in FE is good, GE is way harder in AF and OF.

If you do enough side/story quests you will get get AF and then Ocean troops.

You can wipe out most of AF/OF map with 8 hover tanks.

qaccy

You should only correct me if you're right...which in this case you're not. To test this I just fought 2 battles, one had a Microwave Blaster, the other had the Satellite Spotter. These 2 units both have "Heat" ability. Both hit a Rogue and transformed it. Neither one had the "Heat" effect applied to those Rogues. Both Rogues still had the same attack capability as Rogues transformed by the other enemy units in the battles.

If you're right, then how do you explain this?

heatrogue.PNG

Take note that it's a transformed rogue and has full health, yet has the penalty from Heat applied. An Eel without the penalty has 410 attack

Anyway, to generalize, Rogues are not very effective in most cases when paired with stealth units, especially units like Hover Tanks that are stealthed from the beginning of battle. Think about it like this. If you're starting with 7 Rogues, you've got 7 units that can't do anything until they're attacked, which means unless they're transformed on the first turn they're largely useless. FE has the notable exception of Drone Swarms, wherein Rogues are often able to attack them due to Rapid Deployment but against Satellite Spotters, Exos, Combat Drones, TE snipers, and APs you don't really gain anything at all using Rogues over normal Hover Tanks (and in fact against Spotters, you're actually taking a Heat penalty as I just outlined above whereas they're unable to attack Hover Tanks).

To be more specific, you only need as many Rogues as you expect to get transformed in the very first round of battle. Beyond that...what good is a unit milling around doing nothing instead of being something that can actually attack that's hidden on most battlefield squares anyway?

Last edited:

wolfhoundtoo

Check again. As I thought the heat damage counted as well so I just ran a test. The heat damage does take effect it just doesn't appear on the unit until it's turn. So if you check right after the change but it's not that unit's turn yet the heat damage doesn't show.

DeletedUser29726

Camping in FE is good, GE is way harder in AF and OF.

If you do enough side/story quests you will get get AF and then Ocean troops.

You can wipe out most of AF/OF map with 8 hover tanks.

Lies. GE is easier in AF than FE. And OF is one of the easiest ages to complete 64/48 without negotiating a thing (just very tedious and boring playing the hover tank shuffle - and least motivating reward wise since you don't want buildings making OF goods anyways usually). FE is one of the hardest GE ages in the game - the reason for camping FE is avoiding your Arc goods becoming worthless, not 'easy GE'.

Overall GE fighting difficulty in my experience:

Easy
Contemporary
Industrial with RFC+Snipers from PE story
Oceanic Future
Colonial with Jaegers+RFC from Ind/PE story
Iron-LMA (different amounts of ease depending on development of your city but low boost on defenders makes all of them at least doable if you're ahead on GBs)
Arctic Future, Postmodern, Tomorrow (diff 3 is easy enough, diff 4 you can probably do some of)
Modern (Slightly nicer than progressive in my experience - people who hate paratroopers often disagree though)
Future, Progressive (Even if you win, these ages cost significant troops in diff 3/4 - Progressive with PME story troops might be nicer but I haven't tried it to know - only heard nice things)
Difficult

DeletedUser27023

Lol, do you guys agree on anything? I have never sold goods in the game but I guess now that I’m in FE, that will be the goal then right? Getting back to the military, I’m certain there is going to be lots of trial and error. For now I’ve built 2 Hover Tank Bases and 1 Exo Factory. Obviously, I won’t be building anything for Rail Guns since that will mean I’m at the end of research and will be about ready for AF.

I’m very thankful for all of the advice and if you have any other tidbits, please include them. I need all the help I can get.

Edit: Thought of a couple more questions. Do I get 5% extra attack for EVERY Hover Base, Exo Factory that I build even if it’s multiples? CoA, CDM and Zeus are all level 10. Should that be enough?

PS Edit: One more. So these Ultra Ap have the special ability Contact which retaliates within range. What is that range? How many tiles?

DeletedUser29726

Lol, do you guys agree on anything? I have never sold goods in the game but I guess now that I’m in FE, that will be the goal then right? Getting back to the military, I’m certain there is going to be lots of trial and error. For now I’ve built 2 Hover Tank Bases and 1 Exo Factory. Obviously, I won’t be building anything for Rail Guns since that will mean I’m at the end of research and will be about ready for AF.

I’m very thankful for all of the advice and if you have any other tidbits, please include them. I need all the help I can get.

Edit: Thought of a couple more questions. Do I get 5% extra attack for EVERY Hover Base, Exo Factory that I build even if it’s multiples? CoA, CDM and Zeus are all level 10. Should that be enough?

PS Edit: One more. So these Ultra Ap have the special ability Contact which retaliates within range. What is that range? How many tiles?

Their attack range. They're not great in FE. There's one or two fights you can use an AAV + rogues on though in GE still ;)
Yes that attack bonus is for every one of those barracks you put up.

DeletedUser31427

It depends on what you end up facing, but rail guns and hover tanks are both good.

DeletedUser27023

Okay, I’m not to proud to ask. Can anyone help with how you maneuver your troops on the battlefield to take advantage of the AI. I didn’t learn it in TE and so I’m losing LOTS of troops trying to learn. Hoping someone can help ease the pain. I’m sure it will be useful for others down the road who are too embarrassed to ask.