• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Most efficient way to gain population for quests?

WinnerGR

I was wondering what the most efficient way to gain population for quests is as the method I have always used of building and destroying a few stilt houses has become slower as quests have demanded more yet still remains the quickest way off completing it compared to actually building a few buildings for my age and waiting hours and hours for them to complete.

Any advice would be appreciated.

P C C

I was wondering what the most efficient way to gain population for quests is as the method I have always used of building and destroying a few stilt houses has become slower as quests have demanded more yet still remains the quickest way off completing it compared to actually building a few buildings for my age and waiting hours and hours for them to complete.

Any advice would be appreciated.
The key to realize is that you only need to increase available population, not city population, and that any decreases don't count against you. Start a barracks and your population decreases, then sell it immediately and it increases and counts for your quest. Repeat if you need a bigger gain.

grandmaster ubero

simply add a military building to an open area, that takes up the most pop of any type, then remove it and u gained the same amount in pop that building needs.

every age the amount of pop for military building goes up alot, in the space ages its in the thousands / military building, usually 1 or 2 drops and removals is enough to cover any quest asking for for you to gain pop.

grandmaster ubero

i want to add that you can leave a "dead space" where u have no road access like in a corner of your town, and use it as a permanent "drop zone" to gain pop, coins and supplys to do quest quickly, this ive done for years and it works very well cause the military bulding need no roads to pay the costs! :)

Xenosaur

As well if, for example, you need to create 10,000 population, and the biggest building you have makes only 5,000 of the 10,000 needed (in a single build and delete operation...), then just do that building twice to get your 10,000. You don't lose progress on the quest when you delete the building.

In other words, you don't have to do it all in 1 felt swoop (or sweep). The activities "stack" to your total needed.

Last edited:

WinnerGR

As well if, for example, you need to create 10,000 population, and the biggest building you have makes only 5,000 of the 10,000 needed (in a single place and delete operation...), then just do that building twice to get your 10,000. You don't lose progress on the quest when you delete the building.

In other words, you don't have to do it all in 1 felt swoop (or sweep). The activities "stack" to your total needed.
The issue with though is that it takes a lot of time becuase you have to wait for that building to finish construction to gain the population.

Mor-Rioghain

Absolute fastest and least stressful one is to build a military barrack and then immediately sell it. The reason you "gain" population is because when you construct it the # of people required to work in it is taken from your pool of umemployed citizens. So when you sell it, they go back to the pool and your population gets the 'boost.'

One little caution: it's been a while since I've seen this but if it crops up....here it is...if the quest/challenge requires both pop & enthusiasm you could run the risk of lowering your enthusiasm by building the barracks. It's a marginal concern and may be a moot point but I'd definitely be thinking of my collections if I had the barracks down (and lowered enthusiasm) as it will affect how much of a bonus you get for "happy" and "enthusiastic" citizens. :) Good luck!

Johnny B. Goode

As an aside to the main point of this thread, but on a related note, planting and immediately destroying your most expensive military building is always a quick way to "collect coins/supplies" when you don't want to wait hours for your city collection to roll around. Assuming you have a plentiful amount of both, which you should shortly after getting going in the game. Also, if you have a Deadman's Boathouse, the Deadman's Bounty chests are a good way to quickly "collect supplies" and/or "donate current age goods to guild Treasury" and/or get FP to spend for quest completion. Another way to "collect supplies"/"recruit units"/"collect goods" is with the purple Incident chests, although since those are random it doesn't always work the way you want it to.

Xenosaur

I think I missunderstood what was being said as it doesn't say that it's military barracks, so I assumed it was a residential building; I understand that the most efficient way by far is definitly building and destroying military barracks.
In every age and ALL choices coming from your current age (no matter what that is...), AFAIK, military buildings will always be the MOST expensive of all types in that age... I don't think that there are exceptions to that "rule"..

You can "invert" that, for example, by picking a residence from the current age, and then finding something cheaper (of course) from the previous age (or 2 back, or 3 back, or 4 back, etc) for military buildings, but in a "same era" analysis, military always wins for most expensive to build.

Someone it the "nose bleed" eras can confirm that, of course.

P C C

In every age and ALL choices coming from your current age (no matter what that is...), AFAIK, military buildings will always be the MOST expensive of all types in that age... I don't think that there are exceptions to that... You can "invert" that, for example, by picking a residence from the current age, and then finding something cheaper (of course) from the previous age (or 2 back, or 3 back, or 4 back, etc) for military buildings, but in a "same era" analysis, military always wins for most expensive to build.

Someone it the "nose bleed" eras can confirm that, of course.
In the late eras, by far the most expensive buildings are cultural buildings. The Aquatic Museum in SAJM is over 4M coins and 7M supplies, roughly twice the coins and three times the supplies of any SAJM military building. I haven't unlocked any non premium SAT cultural buildings yet but the SAT military ones are much less expensive than the SAJM cultural. So for coins/supplies quests, cultural buildings may be faster.

But they don't help with the population quests.

Xenosaur

@P C C - thanks. Good data point. Not personally "up there" yet. The paradigm of "military most expensive to build" dominates up to where I am (Contemporary), and probably continues a bit longer (FE? AF? OF?... etc) to the point it crosses over to your data.

Sharmon the Impaler

@P C C - thanks. Good data point. Not personally "up there" yet. The paradigm of "military most expensive to build" dominates up to where I am (Contemporary), and probably continues a bit longer (FE? AF? OF?... etc) to the point it crosses over to your data.
The question was for population quests and military buildings are the king for those. Cultural buildings don't have any population just happiness