• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Community Rejected New Automatice Defense Units

Forge965

*New Automatic Defense Units*

[Issue of current system]
- Current
1. If a player doesn't choose any defense units, 2 spear fighters are choosen automatically as defense.
2. A player can choose any unit as defense.
- Issues
Many players choose no defense(2 spear fighters) or very weak defense unit(s) on purpose to not give any point to attacker cause they usually don't have any buildings to be plundered or just have some supply/coin buildings those can be plundered. It's not fair at all and make this game unbalanced.

[New Idea]
1. If a player doesn't choose any defense units, AI chooses the best 8 units automatically as defense.
2. If a player wants to choose one's defense units by oneself, one has to choose 8 units from one's current age and/or the previous age.

[Effect & Abused?]
It'll make this game better and more fun. People will start to take care of their defense and it means this game will have more 'balance' and more fun to people.
No being abused for sure.

Lorendar

I vote no, simply for the fact that it's a player's choice to defend or not. Given the fact that attacking players go in with a ridiculous att% and AI(artificial idiocy) that doesn't use the brain it's programmed with makes putting up a defense pointless anyway. I bet the player that posted this idea is one that milks his neighbors for battle points. lol

The Lady Redneck

So you want everyone to field a full army of their top troops in city defence purely so you can get max battle points. Well the reason I chose to only leave it to the systems 2 spear fighters is because I want to STOP you getting those points. It is all part of the game play. And if I am correct 8 Champs in defense give the highest battle points. So you should reword your proposal to demand everyone should only use Champs. ( I will still use the system spear fighters)

Xenosaur

Agree fully with my game colleagues. No.

If someone can't be bothered to protect (defensively staff...) their own city, the AI should not do it for them. Nor should it bail them out, in whole or in part. A lack of initial game education is easily fixed from a single personal brush with a successful attack (or even unsuccessful...) and a plunder. If the experience isn't embraced or galvanizing, it becomes the player's destiny to have it repeated until some constructive thinking energy is applied - or leave it - from apathy or some other strategy.

This game protocol doesn't need an AI "crutch".

I'm not changing the subject, but if energy is applied to this situation, it's my opinion that the AI for the defense could be a bit smarter on behalf of the user, but that not what the OP has asked for. SIA (sorry in advance) for the whimsical musing...

Last edited:

Jackshat

*New Automatic Defense Units*

[Issue of current system]
- Current
1. If a player doesn't choose any defense units, 2 spear fighters are choosen automatically as defense.
2. A player can choose any unit as defense.
- Issues
Many players choose no defense(2 spear fighters) or very weak defense unit(s) on purpose to not give any point to attacker cause they usually don't have any buildings to be plundered or just have some supply/coin buildings those can be plundered. It's not fair at all and make this game unbalanced.

[New Idea]
1. If a player doesn't choose any defense units, AI chooses the best 8 units automatically as defense.
2. If a player wants to choose one's defense units by oneself, one has to choose 8 units from one's current age and/or the previous age.

[Effect & Abused?]
It'll make this game better and more fun. People will start to take care of their defense and it means this game will have more 'balance' and more fun to people.
No being abused for sure.
Jason, here's how you could've earned my yes vote:

1. Randomize a defense based on ANY troops from any era in the defender's city, instead of the two spearmen defense.

2. No control over what defense a player chooses, only randomize eight if they choose none.

3. The suggestion is to stimulate competition and CHALLENGE where it's needed most...player-v-player.

4. Players who don't want the competition nor CHALLENGE, can easily opt out by putting their own spearmen in defense...or vaunted drummer corps...or the even more dangerous color guard!

I certainly don't mind if my city defense was randomized based on what troops I have, if I leave an anti-competition no defense--no complicated algorithm needed to find the strongest. I certainly don't mind an attacker wanting the challenge, either. I'm not concerned with points hounds. If I had strong defenses and they whacked me, well done...I'll improve my defenses!

MKPapa

I vote yes, because there is a lot of players who just gather easy win points with no expenses on their side, and with no need to plan, because most opponents just do not care about defense. IMHO, this is exploit.
Facing AI with 2 spearfighters is automatic win with no unit loss and minimal or no healing for attacker even with minimal experience.
A stronger defense would mean an attacker start to lose units, i.e. pay somewhat for these points. Sounds fair for me - they can still fight as much as they want, but not for free. They may lose unattached units, may need to spend time on healing regular units, and have to plan better therefore.

Also, the default unit strength might depend on the defender age:
BA -2 spearfighters;
IA - 4 IA units;
EMA+ - 6 units from the attacker age, i.e. if attacker is in IA, he faces the IA defense units even if the defender is from EMA or higher age.

Last edited:

Graviton

I vote yes, because there is a lot of players who just gather easy win points with no expenses on their side, and with no need to plan, because most opponents just do not care about defense. IMHO, this is exploit.
I don't consider that an exploit, as the defender gains nothing from not placing a defensive army. Implementing this proposal would be closer to an exploit, as the game would provide the attacker with battle points he otherwise wouldn't get.

Johnny B. Goode

Do you even realize how few battle and ranking points a player gets when killing two Spearmen? It's 216 battle points and 4.32 ranking points. That's it. I don't know about you, but I think the reward has to be much bigger for it to be considered an exploit.

Cyrus the Adequate

Do you even realize how few battle and ranking points a player gets when killing two Spearmen? It's 216 battle points and 4.32 ranking points. That's it. I don't know about you, but I think the reward has to be much bigger for it to be considered an exploit.
As a side question, how do you calculate the points value of a battle? Where is that info available?

I voted no. When I get a Daily Challenge requiring me to win battles on the Monday that neither GE or GBG is active, I don't want to fight real battles and chance losing units just to fulfill that challenge.