• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

New world

Johnny B. Goode

At some point there may be no more new worlds. I'm surprised that they've still been opening them the last few years. I guess they'll still do it occasionally as long as they still get a bump in revenue that's more than the cost.

xivarmy

At some point there may be no more new worlds. I'm surprised that they've still been opening them the last few years. I guess they'll still do it occasionally as long as they still get a bump in revenue that's more than the cost.
That's pretty much been what it's been for a while. We don't need it capacity-wise, but it provides a unique opportunity which some players value, and that makes inno money in a way that pretty much noone objects to.

However if they do it too often, it doesn't work (see: Zorskog a couple weeks later after Yorkton was a runaway success for them at launch following a hiatus).

So despite wanting the cash more frequently, they have to balance infrequent enough that people will treat it as special and rush in. And I really have no idea how long it takes to get the appetite for it up to a critical mass. Dilmun's turned into a much smaller world than Carthage was 1-year in I think, so maybe a year's wait wasn't enough. On the other hand, Dilmun does have a solid whale population in relation to its total playerbase, so maybe it was fine and we should expect the next "any time now".

Noone knows when one might come though outside of inno. And possibly not inside inno either before the decision's been made.

xivarmy

The need to consolidate worlds is what I worry about.
They might wait a bit after closing GvG down to see if they need to add a world, or consolidate shrinking ones....
I don't think they have a good option to consolidate worlds as some players are on every one - and destroying one of those worlds by any means would just be cruel. If the worlds shrink, they shrink.

There's a long long long way to go before old worlds turn dilmun-sized, so I don't think too few people is much of a concern outside of Dilmun and maybe Carthage.

Even if the 5% of people who GvG take another 5% of people whose friends GvGed with them out of the game the day GvG leaves, I'd say the upper limit on population shrinkage due to GvG removal is 10%.