• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

perverse incentive resulting from intentional systems conflagration

coderwolf

Just putting this out there. I have LONG since moved on from being willing to suggest game changes even though I still come up with ideas regularly. Recently I had a friend that left my friend list due to an incentive that was created by the inherent timing of the daily quest system. This inherently reduces the way we use a 1.9 thread idea.

Aiding is a big deal for many. But due to the potential of me getting a quest to 'aid x people' in my daily quest with no ability to swap it out(especially when the number is a high % of actual friends). And the fact that I have had this very thing caused me to miss so many daily quests, I no longer aid. I have even went to the point of engineering the need for aid out of my cities. In order to not require this from others. I try to ensure that a simple happiness boost will give me all I actually need to operate.

Recently however, I had someone get upset with the fact that I dont aid. I mentioned this exact reason. This was not enough for them, so they wanted to unfriend. This reduces the possibilities for a 'friended 1.9' spot take. Yes, I realize that is not the only way for a spot to be taken. It does, however, reduce the pool of 1.9 participants in a time when life is causing so many of us to have less time to actually play. And thereby reduces how quickly these spots can move.

Again, dont if this will be taken in any particular way. And I dont expect anything from come of it. But I wanted to mention it in case inno actually cares enough consider for this kind of convolution in their actual designs.

UBERhelp1

So let me get this straight. Due to there being potential daily challenges that require you to aid, you don't aid at all, and then are mad that your friends expect you to aid them?

Have you considered just waiting to aid until you saw what the daily challenge was? And for most players, the entire reason of having friends is to give yourself a larger pool of players who will aid you. If you didn't aid me? I'd unfriend you. It seems odd to me that you're mad at the game for an issue caused by your own decision not to participate in helping your friends.

coderwolf

So let me get this straight. Due to there being potential daily challenges that require you to aid, you don't aid at all, and then are mad that your friends expect you to aid them?

Have you considered just waiting to aid until you saw what the daily challenge was? And for most players, the entire reason of having friends is to give yourself a larger pool of players who will aid you. If you didn't aid me? I'd unfriend you. It seems odd to me that you're mad at the game for an issue caused by your own decision not to participate in helping your friends.
I save the aids for when the quest occurs. This is so they are available for when the quest actually comes.
And not mad. Frustrated more than anything.
As for processing the aids after the quest shows, At the point when the quest occurs it tends to fall off the back end because of time. Usually dues to 4 or more quest in the daily list across multiple worlds. I actually have less than 10 minutes in game for about 4 days a week due to life circumstances at the monent.

Last edited:

xivarmy

If I get an angrygram from someone feeling I am not living up to their friendly expectations I save them the effort and unfriend them myself :p Thus saving me from getting further angrygrams from them ;)

There's all kinds of people available, and it shouldn't be a problem finding some whose expectations are in line with your own, whatever your own may be.

I don't take it personally when someone unfriends me - it's quite possible I wasn't living up to their expectations, or that they just needed space to invite someone else, or that they're quitting and did the (very) courteous thing of not leaving it to other people to discover they're no longer playing to clear space.

I do get quite irked if they take the time to send me a message lecturing me on what I "should" be doing ;)

coderwolf

Not even in the least am I degrading the player for unfriending. I get that.
I would look more for a creative solution or methodology to avoid the original problem which is inherent in the conflict between the daily quest and the aiding itself. So far @Uberhelp came closer to an actual workable solution. to which I gave a response...

UBERhelp1

I save the aids for when the quest occurs. This is so they are available for when the quest actually comes.
As for processing the aids after the quest shows, At the point when the quest occurs it tends to fall off the back end because of time. Usually dues to 4 or more quest in the daily list across multiple worlds. I actually have less than 10 minutes in game for about 4 days a week due to life circumstances at the monent.
You are able to change the start time of the daily challenge to fit your schedule better. Just hit the settings button. That could help a little bit.
1689274892689.png

coderwolf

If I get an angrygram from someone feeling I am not living up to their friendly expectations I save them the effort and unfriend them myself :p Thus saving me from getting further angrygrams from them ;)

There's all kinds of people available, and it shouldn't be a problem finding some whose expectations are in line with your own, whatever your own may be.

I don't take it personally when someone unfriends me - it's quite possible I wasn't living up to their expectations, or that they just needed space to invite someone else, or that they're quitting and did the (very) courteous thing of not leaving it to other people to discover they're no longer playing to clear space.

I do get quite irked if they take the time to send me a message lecturing me on what I "should" be doing ;)
not taking it personally. In this case it was the actual impact to 1.9 takes keeping moving. Which it appears to me has been harder to actually keep them moving (judging on the 4 worlds I play in).

Angry.Blanket

Not even in the least am I degrading the player for unfriending. I get that.
I would look more for a creative solution or methodology to avoid the original problem which is inherent in the conflict between the daily quest and the aiding itself. So far @Uberhelp came closer to an actual workable solution. to which I gave a response...
Very simple solution, Check your daily then aid. There is no conflict.

jimakoskx

Ha hahahahahaha!!!! :Do_Oo_O:D:D:D:D

So you are the one that does not give his aid!!!
Hey coder,,give us a picture of your city please!

Mor-Rioghain

Through the years I've played I've seen people send out group messsages for all kinds of reasons but I can't help but repeat some of what's already been posted here - why blame your friends when you could have warned them of your inability to play until your life sorts itself out? I think you'd be surprised at how willing people are to be a bit more patient with your lack of aid if they know that you are busy. Just say that you're working extra hours or something - no need to go into detail.

It's a game, Sir, and we all have issues in RL that take us away from our pastime. They've been there, too, and will probably be grateful that you took the little bit of time to let them know and not be so quick to unfriend you.