• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Preparing for SAAB--any tips?

FriarTuck

Before I went to SAM I wrote a similar question and man am I glad I did! I learned many things I needed before I leveled up and got excellent advice on building my Mars city.
So I will read your advice with care and thanks.

Pericles the Lion

SAAB is a re-skin of SAM. The earlier advice that you got regarding SAM pretty much applies for SAAB. I would not leave SAM until you have collected a 10K surplus of each SAM good in addition to enough Mars Ore to get all the way thru SAJM plus an extra 2K in case it's needed for the next new era. Of course, both Mars regular goods and Mars Ore can be manufactured in SAAB, and beyond, but it's more efficient to get it done before leaving SAM. I aged up to SAAB before the start of GBG (not after as is usually done) because it kept my AO in play. I only used Nail Storms and Rogues for fighting. Good luck!

FriarTuck

Thanks. I have the whole Asteroid map concurred and will stay here till I have plenty of Mars Ore. It is the SAM goods I am having trouble with. I get some from my colony but not nearly enough and none of most goods. My Guild will help me here but I am really embarrassed to ask for too much.
Also, advice about what to build in my Asteroid colony would be greatly appreciated.

xivarmy

Thanks. I have the whole Asteroid map concurred and will stay here till I have plenty of Mars Ore. It is the SAM goods I am having trouble with. I get some from my colony but not nearly enough and none of most goods. My Guild will help me here but I am really embarrassed to ask for too much.
Also, advice about what to build in my Asteroid colony would be greatly appreciated.
There's no reason to be embarrassed about posting fair trades - that's the way it's designed to work, and why you have only 2 boosts. Everyone makes the ones they have boosted and trades for the others and it makes a more social game.

It's how the original goods system worked as well before goods buildings in city became inefficient.

Pericles the Lion

I'm not sure if my city is set up like yours so my strategy may not be the one to follow. I built up my attack army A/D boost to over 1600/1000 before getting to SAM, levelled my ARC to L100 and CF to L98 when in VF. As a result, I do a lot of fighting in GBG and participate a lot in 1.9s (which drives a bunch of recurring quests). Getting current age goods is no problem for me as I get plenty from GBG and RQs. I don't have any goods buildings in my city and none in the colony. Sounds like your situation a may be a bit different. FWIW, I only build residential buildings in the colonies (as many as space permits) because they provide the credits needed for ore extraction. Since I don't need goods, I don't need to build goods buildings or life support structures.

Ragnar The Viking

SAAB is a re-skin of SAM. The earlier advice that you got regarding SAM pretty much applies for SAAB. I would not leave SAM until you have collected a 10K surplus of each SAM good in addition to enough Mars Ore to get all the way thru SAJM plus an extra 2K in case it's needed for the next new era. Of course, both Mars regular goods and Mars Ore can be manufactured in SAAB, and beyond, but it's more efficient to get it done before leaving SAM. I aged up to SAAB before the start of GBG (not after as is usually done) because it kept my AO in play. I only used Nail Storms and Rogues for fighting. Good luck!
I don't understand how that affects your AO? Please explain if you would please. Tyvm...

Pericles the Lion

I don't understand how that affects your AO? Please explain if you would please. Tyvm...
Good question. If you age up after the start of GBG you fight against units that are one age below you (which is usually an advantage). If you age up before the start, then you will be fighting against same-aged units. The Arctic Orangery critical hits only apply when you are fighting same-aged units. With a decent A/D% and a high-level AO the critical hit is more advantageous than the benefit from fighting units one age lower.

Emberguard

Good question. If you age up after the start of GBG you fight against units that are one age below you (which is usually an advantage). If you age up before the start, then you will be fighting against same-aged units. The Arctic Orangery critical hits only apply when you are fighting same-aged units. With a decent A/D% and a high-level AO the critical hit is more advantageous than the benefit from fighting units one age lower.
If you already have a lot of previous age units, then just use those in GBG for one season

Thing is, the rewards will be current age. So aging up mid season allows you to gather higher aged troops from Guild Battleground rewards while still utilising your previous age troop supply against previous age opponent units. Then your Arctic Orangery is still in effect, and you're getting stock of higher age units in the process

Pericles the Lion

If you already have a lot of previous age units, then just use those in GBG for one season

Thing is, the rewards will be current age. So aging up mid season allows you to gather higher aged troops from Guild Battleground rewards while still utilising your previous age troop supply against previous age opponent units. Then your Arctic Orangery is still in effect, and you're getting stock of higher age units in the process
I'm having a V8 moment. :) This is an excellent point and I never thought of it. Thanks! I'll be aging up to SAJM soon and will put it into practice.

Sledgie

One thing to know is that SAAB troops aren't great vs SAM troops, and you unlock nail storms pretty early in the SAAB tech tree. Not really worth aging up to SAAB after the season starts. On the other hand, SAV troops are awesome against SAAB troops and it takes a while to get to power dragons on the SAV tech tree, so when you get to that point, I would definitely wait until after GBG season start to age up to SAV.