• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

problem with speed

Fern19

Has any one been having problems with the speed when donating to your neighbors or guild. It takes me forever to get the click response when trying to respond to aide or tavern button. Just started about a week ago. It is so slowwwww..........

Ebeondi Asi

On PC I agree it is slower than it used to be. My guess is everything is being scanned for weapons of mass internet destruction ..constantly.

Bob the Elf

Yes, the speed is terrible. Being in the U.S. I thought “us servers” were based in North America, but doing a trace route indicates they’re actually in Germany. I suspect the Russia/Ukraine conflict is part, maybe all, of the problem. As I understand it, cyber warfare is very much of a tool being used.

Coach Zuck

Yes, the speed is terrible. Being in the U.S. I thought “us servers” were based in North America, but doing a trace route indicates they’re actually in Germany. I suspect the Russia/Ukraine conflict is part, maybe all, of the problem. As I understand it, cyber warfare is very much of a tool being used.

Actually that's a routing problem experienced by some ISPs, mine included. The actual servers are in California, and some people are lucky enough to be connected directly, however the way that the vast majority of people are peered, you get hopped iirc from Florida to Germany. Then it brings you back to the US. I used to GVG from my work at the end of the day just because they had a 20ms ping to the server due to the direct route to California whereas my ping is over 160ms from home as a base, with a tonne of jitter added on top.

I know it sounds strange and even crazy, if you know how this stuff works, but I've seen the faster connection with my own eyes...
the only thing I can think of is they must have a low layer protocol bridge from their California servers over to wherever in Germany, and that their California data center is broadcasting BGP routes in a way that crosses that bridge and propogate from their Germany data center back to North America, and that the local routes must be non-preferred routes by a large portion of layer 2 providers.

Bob the Elf

What I’m hearing you say is that the majority of ISPs have a DNS entry that points to a German based server while there are some U.S. based DNS servers that point to a U.S. based servers. That would be an odd situation, if you ask me, but I can see where it’s possible. It should also be an unwanted situation by Inno. I can see no reason they would want such a routing to exist. It also would mean that if I had the IPv4 address for the California based server(s), I could create my own resolv.hosts entry to use that server instead of the routing to Germany. Unless you’re also saying the mobile apps have a hard wired address embedded in them. Any chance you have that IPv4 address?

Fern19

Oh boy, really opened up a can of worms. Just wish it would go back to normal. Thanks guys for the input.......

Coach Zuck

What I’m hearing you say is that the majority of ISPs have a DNS entry that points to a German based server while there are some U.S. based DNS servers that point to a U.S. based servers.

no, that is not what I'm saying. Same IP, different route. BGP is a lower layer protocol than IP (so DNS isn't relevant), it is how the routers on the internet core tell each other which IPs can be discovered behind those routers, and how they figure out the fastest path to each IP.
Basically, my ISP and your ISP thinks the fastest route is through Germany because of what's probably a routing mistake in Inno's data center related to a development bridge they likely have set up (it's the only reason I can think of for such a mistake) whereas other ISPs aren't affected by that mistake and realize that the fastest route is to not go through Germany.

The IP and final destination is the same