• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Research question

nsiebold

Do the goods needed for research change from world to world or over time? I ask this because I'm building several cities on different worlds in various eras and I keep track of what I need for the tech tree in an Excel spreadsheet. When my lower aged cities get to a research period that one of my higher aged cities has gone through, I find that some of my amounts of goods needed to research certain technologies are too low.

wolfhoundtoo

They do not change world to world. There have been revisions to the tech tree over the years so if it's been awhile that is likely the the source of the change. Not sure how long you've been playing but they did make that change years ago so that you can't be attacked by your neighbors until you unlock a certain tech. There have been revisions for the settlements as well.

Pickleweasel

I'm sure they could choose to program changes over time if they wish, but I wouldn't expect it to happen.

If you want to compare various eras, there is a little grey bar graph button in the upper-left of the research screen ("Research Costs"). If you click that and scroll with the arrows at the top of the pop-up you can get a complete tally of requirements for all ages you have incomplete. If you think they are changing, take a screen shot and save it for when a different one of your worlds is in that era to compare.

Agent327

Do the goods needed for research change from world to world or over time? I ask this because I'm building several cities on different worlds in various eras and I keep track of what I need for the tech tree in an Excel spreadsheet. When my lower aged cities get to a research period that one of my higher aged cities has gone through, I find that some of my amounts of goods needed to research certain technologies are too low.

Why on earth do you keep an Excel sheet, when you can look up the research costs in de techtree?????

All worlds are exactly the same and costs go up with age.

wolfhoundtoo

I guess an easier way to ask this would be are the costs for research subject to "inflation"?

An even easier way to answer your own question is to go to the tech tree as others have said and go back to the cities that you have completed on all of the worlds and look up inflation. You'll find them the same on all of your worlds.

Ironrooster

I'm sure they could choose to program changes over time if they wish, but I wouldn't expect it to happen.

If you want to compare various eras, there is a little grey bar graph button in the upper-left of the research screen ("Research Costs"). If you click that and scroll with the arrows at the top of the pop-up you can get a complete tally of requirements for all ages you have incomplete. If you think they are changing, take a screen shot and save it for when a different one of your worlds is in that era to compare.
I never noticed that was a button. Thanks for pointing it out.

nsiebold

An even easier way to answer your own question is to go to the tech tree as others have said and go back to the cities that you have completed on all of the worlds and look up inflation. You'll find them the same on all of your worlds.

That's basically what I do.