• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Rogues in battle

sirblu

When using Rogues in battle what determines which other unit they turn into after taking the first hit? Sometimes they turn into my fast units and sometimes they turn into my light units. Is there a formula? Can this action be controlled? Or, is it strictly random?

DeletedUser29563

Well....nothing in programming is ever truly random. So lets say it's cyclic. I believe it's cyclic within the other units you have in the battle. For example if you have 2 tanks and 6 rogues...they will change to tanks . if you have 1 archer...1 spearfighter..and 6 rogues. You should get an even split.
If you have 1 spearfighter...1 tank...1 Dragon..and 1 Slinger..and 4 rogues. Then it will be cyclic between those 4...and will APPEAR random.
Make sense?

DeletedUser13838

When using Rogues in battle what determines which other unit they turn into after taking the first hit? Sometimes they turn into my fast units and sometimes they turn into my light units. Is there a formula? Can this action be controlled? Or, is it strictly random?
I don't think it's known for sure but I think the general consensus is that if the rogue has multiple options it will be based on the number of units. So if there are 6 rogues and 1 unit of A and 1 unit of B then there is a 1/2 chance the next rogue becomes A or B.

If the next unit becomes A then there are 5 rogues with 2 A and 1 B so the next rogue has a 2/3 chance to become A and a 1/3 chance to become B and so on.
Well....nothing in programming is ever truly random.
Pseudo-random then.

sirblu

Well....nothing in programming is ever truly random. So lets say it's cyclic. I believe it's cyclic within the other units you have in the battle. For example if you have 2 tanks and 6 rogues...they will change to tanks . if you have 1 archer...1 spearfighter..and 6 rogues. You should get an even split.
If you have 1 spearfighter...1 tank...1 Dragon..and 1 Slinger..and 4 rogues. Then it will be cyclic between those 4...and will APPEAR random.
Make sense?
Thanks Mathew - Yes absolutely makes sense - I have 1 Armored Car, 2 Conscripts and 5 Rogues - so I guess it would be a 2-1 switch. meaning that 2/3rds would switch to Conscripts and 1/3 would switch to armored cars. It just seems that 80% of the time they switch into the conscripts and not my Armored car.

sirblu

I don't think it's known for sure but I think the general consensus is that if the rogue has multiple options it will be based on the number of units. So if there are 6 rogues and 1 unit of A and 1 unit of B then there is a 1/2 chance the next rogue becomes A or B.

If the next unit becomes A then there are 5 rogues with 2 A and 1 B so the next rogue has a 2/3 chance to become A and a 1/3 chance to become B and so on.

Pseudo-random then.
Thanks Konrad - In my latest battle I faced all artillery and really needed my rogues to turn into my Armored cars. But they hung him out to dry and all of them changed into the light units and it was a harder battle than it needed to be. So I guess it is not really controllable in the sense that If I want them to change into Armored cars then I need more Armored Cars:eek:

DeletedUser

Thanks Mathew - Yes absolutely makes sense - I have 1 Armored Car, 2 Conscripts and 5 Rogues - so I guess it would be a 2-1 switch. meaning that 2/3rds would switch to Conscripts and 1/3 would switch to armored cars. It just seems that 80% of the time they switch into the conscripts and not my Armored car.
The real answer is that nobody knows. Any answer you get from a player or even a moderator would be pure conjecture. Probably only the developers know for sure. :)

DeletedUser

Thanks Konrad - In my latest battle I faced all artillery and really needed my rogues to turn into my Armored cars. But they hung him out to dry and all of them changed into the light units and it was a harder battle than it needed to be. So I guess it is not really controllable in the sense that If I want them to change into Armored cars then I need more Armored Cars:eek:
The only way to guarantee that they turn into a specific unit is to have that be the only unit you have other than Rogues. :cool:

sirblu

It might be nice once in a while to actually have the developers chime in once in a blue moon just so what gets bantered about here in the forums is not conjecture but actual fact. I know when I was working in development - we did actually help out the customer service techs with some answers just so they were on the right track. But then again - that was the real world. I still appreciate all the feedback from other players!:D

DeletedUser

It might be nice once in a while to actually have the developers chime in once in a blue moon just so what gets bantered about here in the forums is not conjecture but actual fact. I know when I was working in development - we did actually help out the customer service techs with some answers just so they were on the right track. But then again - that was the real world. I still appreciate all the feedback from other players!:D
It would be nice to hear their perspective once in a while, but I don't blame them for not showing up here. I've been on the Forum for over 2 years, and they would have to put up with so much BS from some of these people that it wouldn't even be funny.

sirblu

It would be nice to hear their perspective once in a while, but I don't blame them for not showing up here. I've been on the Forum for over 2 years, and they would have to put up with so much BS from some of these people that it wouldn't even be funny.
I totally agree - there is a lot of hostility in these forums - totally unnecessary some of these comments.

DeletedUser31272

Obviously Rogues are a problem mostly because the defending AI is rather stupid...it automatically sees the closest enemy as the more powerful and thus shoots it above all others. If that piece is a Rogue however we all know what happens next.

It seems to me, that if we were really in our towns we should be able to coach the stance of our defenders...we can do this in the GE, but not in defense of our own towns, which makes no sense, we should be able to tell the town defenders what to do, but then we're not in these towns nor are any of us on 24/7 (if you are I suggest you log off and get a life m8). So I got to thinking that what if we the Dev's could add a string or two of code making this possible, giving us a button interface in which to manipulate the defensive AI with.
These buttons would be word commands to change the perspective of the AI.
Example of buttons: Armor First, Hvy Armor First, Infantry First, lt. Infantry First, Artillery First and Rogues Last.
These buttons would set the defensive posture for our towns (and I'm pretty sure everybody would probably use the "Rogues Last" button more than any of the other...at first at least). You could only use one button, but you can change your choice at any time...this would not affect an ongoing battle though, it would only take affect for the next set up. Also this sort of defensive choices would not guarantee you a win, but it would sharply curtail using Rogues as the "Fire and Forget" weapon they are now. It will also make those who use Rogues as a majority of their army, to rethink their strategy a bit.

The nice thing about this is that it forces both sides to engage trying to outplay the other side...if you chose the "Rogues Last" button and you opponent didn't bring any Rogues, you're likely to get overrun by either his infantry or armor, if your forces are inferior...but an equally matched army might have a good old fashioned slug-fest fight, where you or he may win...but if he did bring his Rogues and you still had the same button active, your defense would be focusing on that one piece of his that the Rogues would change into, more than likely he's going to lose if he uses them as "Fire and Forget"...now if he actually is commanding his troops, he may avoid your defenders fire and cagily advance his Rogues within striking distance of your troops, like I said this doesn't guarantee a win, but just makes the playing field a bit more even.
Now, if he did bring Rogues or lots of Infantry or Artillery and you've chosen the "Armor First", guess what? The game AI will handle it as though you made no choice at all.
I think it would be far more interesting trying to figure what to bring to a "Plunder Party" and or which choice to use in the defense of your town...neither side would know what the other has chosen to bring or use...at least the use of 7 Rogues and 1 high level piece in a plunder will stop and make folks rethink their offensive strategies.

just my 2 cents.

sirblu

I
Obviously Rogues are a problem mostly because the defending AI is rather stupid...it automatically sees the closest enemy as the more powerful and thus shoots it above all others. If that piece is a Rogue however we all know what happens next.

It seems to me, that if we were really in our towns we should be able to coach the stance of our defenders...we can do this in the GE, but not in defense of our own towns, which makes no sense, we should be able to tell the town defenders what to do, but then we're not in these towns nor are any of us on 24/7 (if you are I suggest you log off and get a life m8). So I got to thinking that what if we the Dev's could add a string or two of code making this possible, giving us a button interface in which to manipulate the defensive AI with.
These buttons would be word commands to change the perspective of the AI.
Example of buttons: Armor First, Hvy Armor First, Infantry First, lt. Infantry First, Artillery First and Rogues Last.
These buttons would set the defensive posture for our towns (and I'm pretty sure everybody would probably use the "Rogues Last" button more than any of the other...at first at least). You could only use one button, but you can change your choice at any time...this would not affect an ongoing battle though, it would only take affect for the next set up. Also this sort of defensive choices would not guarantee you a win, but it would sharply curtail using Rogues as the "Fire and Forget" weapon they are now. It will also make those who use Rogues as a majority of their army, to rethink their strategy a bit.

The nice thing about this is that it forces both sides to engage trying to outplay the other side...if you chose the "Rogues Last" button and you opponent didn't bring any Rogues, you're likely to get overrun by either his infantry or armor, if your forces are inferior...but an equally matched army might have a good old fashioned slug-fest fight, where you or he may win...but if he did bring his Rogues and you still had the same button active, your defense would be focusing on that one piece of his that the Rogues would change into, more than likely he's going to lose if he uses them as "Fire and Forget"...now if he actually is commanding his troops, he may avoid your defenders fire and cagily advance his Rogues within striking distance of your troops, like I said this doesn't guarantee a win, but just makes the playing field a bit more even.
Now, if he did bring Rogues or lots of Infantry or Artillery and you've chosen the "Armor First", guess what? The game AI will handle it as though you made no choice at all.
I think it would be far more interesting trying to figure what to bring to a "Plunder Party" and or which choice to use in the defense of your town...neither side would know what the other has chosen to bring or use...at least the use of 7 Rogues and 1 high level piece in a plunder will stop and make folks rethink their offensive strategies.

just my 2 cents.
Interesting concept - I just managed to fight my way through 3 1/2 levels of the GE. Added some much needed points! I was pretty proud of myself since I suck at fighting!

DeletedUser26120

Keep practicing, you will get better. You learn to use terrain, turn order, wounding units for less damage back, which ones to kill first, etc.