• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Snow White and the seven Rogues

Aeiousson

I did a search and found no results -- maybe I should have used different criteria. Anyway, I have been playing for less than six months and still have much to learn. Yesterday, I had my city destroyed by a more experience player who used what seemed to me as a computer glitch to his advantage. He had one champion and seven rogues. The champion was moved to the edge of the screen and the computer program directing my defense attacked the nearest opposing unit -- a rogue. As I watched, my city's defense was quickly overpowered and destroyed by 8 champions.
Now to me this is a sound strategy if you have that many rogues, but since I am actually playing the computer program instead of the opposing player, is this not an unsportsmanlike gaffe?
If this is not a glitch, should all newbie be informed in some fashion instead of learning by having the butt handed to them by a more experienced player taking advantage of their naivete? I have came close to removing myself from the game because of strategies used by experienced aggressive players who found in me easy pickings, but I have hung in there so far.
Hopefully some of those who have been here a long time can help me with this conundrum. And please try to keep the flames to a minimum.

Super Catanian

This is a common strategy. The good thing is that you can also use it with 7 Rogues and 1 Champion. The A.I. for the player's defending army (WARNING: The A.I. for the Continent Map won't functions the same) targets Rogues first if they are the closest Units. That is why the Champion was moved to the back, so that the Rogues remain the closest to the defense army, and the base Champion remains safe.

Graviton

My reply to this just disappeared, so I guess you get the short version:

There are no consequences to your defensive army getting beat.
Get your own rogues and you can do it too. It's not a gaffe nor bug, it's a feature. BUT never use rogues for your city defense.
Collect on time so there's nothing to plunder.

Super Catanian

My reply to this just disappeared, so I guess you get the short version:

There are no consequences to your defensive army getting beat.
Get your own rogues and you can do it too. It's not a gaffe nor bug, it's a feature.
Collect on time so there's nothing to plunder.
There's a duplicate thread; I was confused as well.

DeletedUser30312

When people say to use the rogues yourself, note that applies to attacking, and not defense. A defense filled with rogues can be laughably easy to beat for anyone who knows what they're doing with FoE combat.

Aeiousson

Thanks for the input. I also discussed it with some of my guild-mates and neighbors and had another silly question. What if when you are on-line playing and your city is attacked, you are given the choice of taking control of your defenses or letting the system do the auto-defense? It would give some of a little more experience in the battle mode. Of course it would also lessen the effectiveness of the 7&1 strategy. Again, thanks for the input.

DeletedUser

Thanks for the input. I also discussed it with some of my guild-mates and neighbors and had another silly question. What if when you are on-line playing and your city is attacked, you are given the choice of taking control of your defenses or letting the system do the auto-defense? It would give some of a little more experience in the battle mode. Of course it would also lessen the effectiveness of the 7&1 strategy. Again, thanks for the input.
That's been proposed a few times, but it's not really workable in this game without a complete overhaul of the battle system.

megachuckmc

Just have to weigh in on this. Attacking with Snow White and 7 Rogues is pretty bush league and especially because those at the head of a neighborhood generally have so much defense built up that reciprocating with the same tactic is essentially useless. While it isn't a life or death thing (oh no! one of my buildings was plundered!) and because there is a premium on attacking vs. building those that employ this strategy get where they are with cities and armies that are often times much inferior. I can't believe that the brilliant minds at Innogames can't figure out algorithms that introduce more parity in these situations. If Attacker = Snow White and 7 Rogues, Then Defender attacks all non-Rogues first. Okay rant over.

Algona

I can't believe that the brilliant minds at Innogames can't figure out algorithms that introduce more parity in these situations.

Good post.

INNO has. it's used on the CMap.

They don't use it in GvG, GBG, PvP because a lot of players like attacking.

Current Event illustrates this nicely as have many past Events. A lot of folks are going crazy for Sentinel Outpost because it supports attacks. The excitement for lvl 2 Watchfire? Not so much.

INNO just goes with the flow of the majority of players who like to attack, but they will keep adding defensive structures (lvl 2 Ritual Flame some day?) as well, After all, if they didn't add more defenses for some players to put up, folk wouldn't keep scrambling (and spending!) to keep buffing attacks.

Agent327

They can figure it out. They don't want more parity.

They already have figured it out. They can not bring the CMap battle system, to other parts of the game, cause they are afraid of the bugs it will bring and the unbalance of things. Not my intepretation, but an official statement of a CM.