• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Staircase Layout Strategy

KingJMobile

Many of you will have learned that buildings should be placed in a straight line to have the most road-efficient city, touching a neat stretch of road by their shorter side. However, this is only sometimes the most efficient way of doing so, depending on the size of your buildings in your city. Recently, many 1x1 and 2x2 buildings have come into the meta of FoE, and this means that you can achieve much greater road efficiency by creating more road ends to hang your bigger buildings – buildings with both side lengths 4 tiles or longer – on 1 road.

Through trial and error, I have discovered what I call a “staircase strategy” to be able to do this. It is fairly difficult to implement, but it yields a repeated pattern that looks like a staircase, hence its name. It provides a very unique, efficient, and aesthetically pleasing way of combining a range of building sizes into your city design.

Step 1: Eligibility​

Before you begin to install the staircase design, it is important to consider whether your city is compatible with this design. Do not use the staircase design if:
  • You do not have many 1x1s or large buildings – in other words, most of your buildings have a side length of 2 or 3.
  • You do not have enough city space to work with because your road-requiring buildings take up much of your total space.
  • The expansions in your city are uneven, or very narrow on one side.

I strongly recommend implementing this design if:
  • You have a lot of 1x1s and large buildings.
  • You are an endgame player with many of the same or similar themed buildings and with most available expansions unlocked.

Step 2: Choosing the Correct Design​

Since most buildings in this game’s meta include 1x1s and 2x2s and 4x5s or 4x6s, I strongly recommend using the 2-step design as illustrated below. This design uses 1x1s, 2x2s, and the big buildings in a 2:1:1 ratio, making it extremely versatile for most cities. This strategy is 133.33% efficient (8 tiles of shorter side used per 6 roads).

General Structure Repeated Unit
JyMw9S2EWhmWyHJrYv9R-o9EbVtkAFpmhNPEzAZxyx5WOiaB6jGS-aqT1SnyzxeYIUeX5rviwtqGaXq5fgmOg5j8caiiPGNhgJmqgdQWP5yZ-60nOSQi8EpqYhrUQ3I7RiSyKsSRzOEaZBlAtneF2z0
b1kL8WuO75D8aIDVpELfA8hdm7E0buXRB_nQofqoRC76Q0TTr1ewWn48Yn-mFK-ne0THCULhvkgWT1z9dfGvVixIo29bOy8OhQ5B5lJm8n0ywtozA_g50jQluri21ZvPOY5-yrARIhNuA7aUEMcuvbo

In between the roads and the Eagle Mountains, illustrated above, you can see a 2x3 gap, which is where the 1x1s and 2x2 will fit in nicely. As you can expect, the design is also stackable (see my city plan below).

There is also another variant that might be useful: the 1-step variant. This only uses 1x1s and 4xn buildings, in the ratio of 3:1. The 1-step variant yields 140% (7/5) efficiency, but it does require a lot of 1x1s and ignores 2x2s.
TvVfDHCgg9O_M8b_OTao-gW_vzBuIBLTI09j3bd0inJvkcB75AJzYCvWgt9ThmtRxRMNdCWiQIU6O4fvPL7zC13Y0ypszHSPr-a5ng1tIt1wHr2R4jWuIx3kHfH2eEVSe4sJdLWWuEVXiemJLWWHY3g

Don’t do this: the pseudo staircase​

ZzJV6F0mZleilaIHrONa_BEkVNvTFqRSY6XceoyZgKDTKaUTfhLAuWKFgH1YH1LYB8yTFvO1_Y_L1qJia4V0OjyCWHk4OAG5TeoxlccYnE1GjXRJnzBzMAB5Skap4R7clDf_ESfdNxMkQP62csOA5Q0

You can see that by placing the Eagle Mountains on the incorrect edge, you will use more roads and create a 2x4 gap, which is not ideal.

Some tips when using this strategy​

Remember you don’t have to have one massive staircase in your city: it may be better to have a straight path of road beforehand, and then build onto a small staircase design. The staircases are, as I have mentioned, stackable, so it should not be too difficult to jump from a straight road into a staircase.

KingJ’s visual layout on Reddit​

If you want to see an example of what the Staircase looks like in the city, click on the link below to the Reddit Page (the picture itself is too large to be placed directly in the forum). https://www.reddit.com/r/forgeofempires/comments/1bfo6oq

Last edited:

planetofthehumans2

Part of the problem is now there are so many VERY large buildings that don't need roads and a ton of 1x1's and 2x2's that need a road, theres not a lot of recent/good buildngs to fill in those gaps of the large buildings and other little gaps that don't need roads. Seems like I need roads specifically for the 1x1's now which is problematic.

Another problem is the sheer size of some of those large or small buildings completely block the view of the road - which makes incidents impossible to find. Before I would have said who cares about incidents, but in SAT there's a specific repeat task to find them, so who would want to waste the potential 30+ goods not being able to find all 8? Yeah you can drag and drop large buildings on mobile, not the case on PC I can assure you....I've tried.

And then the last problem is having a layout where my fat fingers don't press the wrong building for the BG, because that happens all the time and I'm wasting multiple BG double collects on some hidden goods or nutcracker house, whatever the building next to the one I want is. I need unclickables around my bg buildings and all of my bg buildings close if not next to each other.

I'd love for some kind of program that optimizes my layout. One of them requires chrome.....

xivarmy

Part of the problem is now there are so many VERY large buildings that don't need roads and a ton of 1x1's and 2x2's that need a road, theres not a lot of recent/good buildngs to fill in those gaps of the large buildings and other little gaps that don't need roads. Seems like I need roads specifically for the 1x1's now which is problematic.

Another problem is the sheer size of some of those large or small buildings completely block the view of the road - which makes incidents impossible to find. Before I would have said who cares about incidents, but in SAT there's a specific repeat task to find them, so who would want to waste the potential 30+ goods not being able to find all 8? Yeah you can drag and drop large buildings on mobile, not the case on PC I can assure you....I've tried.

And then the last problem is having a layout where my fat fingers don't press the wrong building for the BG, because that happens all the time and I'm wasting multiple BG double collects on some hidden goods or nutcracker house, whatever the building next to the one I want is. I need unclickables around my bg buildings and all of my bg buildings close if not next to each other.

I'd love for some kind of program that optimizes my layout. One of them requires chrome.....
The large buildings that need no road you just make a corner or side of your city dedicated to them - and worry about laying out your "regular" buildings in the space that's left.

2 3 5 7

Thanks for this guide :)
Do you think it's possible to adapt this method to vineyards and other 3x7 (or 7x3, I never know) buildings?

KingJMobile

Thanks for this guide :)
Do you think it's possible to adapt this method to vineyards and other 3x7 (or 7x3, I never know) buildings?
Yes, you can adapt this design to whatever building sizes you have. In your 3x7 example, I would do something like this:

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 09.35.03.png
So 1x1s and 3x7s in a 2:1 ratio. Since the Vibrant Vineyards have a smaller width than Eagle Mountains, this yields 125% (5/4) efficiency. You can rotate this design for a 7x3 very easily.

As a more general formula:​

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 19.34.43.png
where a= the width of the big building, and b= the step size of the staircase. The corner space is where your smaller buildings will fit in between the road and the big buildings, and it will have dimensions (a-1)*b tiles. So go on FoEhelper and explore what works for you.

FYI, the pseudo staircase will instead have a corner space of a*(b-1) tiles.

Last edited:

2 3 5 7

Yes, you can adapt this design to whatever building sizes you have. In your 3x7 example, I would do something like this:

View attachment 21380
So 1x1s and 3x7s in a 2:1 ratio. Since the Vibrant Vineyards have a smaller width than Eagle Mountains, this yields 120% (5/4) efficiency. You can rotate this design for a 7x3 very easily.

As a more general formula:​

View attachment 21382
where a= the width of the big building, and b= the step size of the staircase. The corner space is where your smaller buildings will fit in between the road and the big buildings, and it will have dimensions (a-1)*b tiles. So go on FoEhelper and explore what works for you.

FYI, the pseudo staircase will instead have a corner space of a*(b-1) tiles.

2 3 5 7

I rebuilt my city using your method and was able to save 15 roads and clear 10 spaces for 1x1 buildings (I also stocked a 3x4 building). Thanks again :)
IMG_4145.jpeg
IMG_4145.jpeg
IMG_4143.jpeg
IMG_4142.jpeg