• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

To advance or not?

• Thread starter DeletedUser25815
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I've never had a population crunch issue really when advancing in age, but that being said I've made a point of getting Babel while in Iron age at latest. Word of caution there though that you can level Babel up too fast and end up having a cultural problem. That means getting either Hagia Sophia (my preference), Notre Dame (not bad but considered a bit of an underperformer by many) or the Colosseum (rather poor return for space though not bad especially if your willing to demolish it and replace with Deal Castle.)
As most have pointed out no real reason to rush through the research tree to higher ages, but you should make plans for what you intend to do and then figure out the best ways for you to get there.
If your planning to be heavy into PvP/GvG then your looking at needing a lot of space for barracks and the resources to keep them churning out the units.
As a Farmer/Trader its Goods production needing space and the resources to produce those goods.
Getting a balance and looking at the various GBs and how they can interact with each other and your city is key to being successful.
Interactions/limitations to be aware of:
Babel gives population that can be very useful early on and can help with a steady stream of goods. Limitation is no coin production from that population and needing culture to keep productivity optimal.
Aachen can help coin production so pairs nicely with Babel, but it's attack bonus may go largely unused if your primarily a Farmer/Trader.
Notre Dame provides decent culture and helps reduce need for production buildings early but can recieve similar benefits from other GBs so may not be optimal choice, especially if worried about available space.
Lighthouse is solid performer, providing goods early and reducing quantity of production buildings needed. Really no down side other than you will still need at least some production buildings to get supplies unlike Notre Dame.
Hagia Sophia, if you can get this in Iron Age do so, especially if you have Babel. Pretty much covers all your Cultural needs by itself up through LMA with some leveling which you'll want to get done asap for those FP it produces.
Zues is great if your into PvP/GvG otherwise it's simply filling space you could put other things in.
St. Mark's is solid, but fairly large. Helps keep the coins pouring in and the goods are welcome. If your a Farmer/Trader and can get this fairly early it's probably a better choice than Aachen for you.
Castle Del Monte FP production makes it worthwhile for everyone but the fighters will get more utility out of it.
Saint Basel gives defensive boost which even farmers will benefit from as they can start at least giving would be looters a bloody nose which is often enough to get them looking for easier targets elsewhere. Coin from it is more of a nice extra by the time your likely to get it in play.
Those are all I currently have in my main City which is in LMA. Have prints for Colosseum and could fit it in, however I'm getting close to Deal Castle at this point which provides better medal output and will help bolster my defense. Got more than enough Culture for my pop so Colosseum would just be a waste of space or get built simply so I could say I've got all the GBs to that point.
If I was going to get rid of GBs for some reason then Zues would be first to go as I'm not a fighter, but instead focus on producing Goods to support my Guild both in trade and for GvG. Now having Saint Basil and being a Farmer Aachen would be next GB to be removed as I'm not utilizing the attack bonus at all (negotiating for sectors on campaign map and almost finished with Colonial there so fighting isn't an option.) and have outstanding coin production so losing it would have little more impact than Zues. Notre Dame would be the 3rd to go as neither it's Culture nor Supplies are really needed at this point.

DeletedUser7289

Don't get me wrong; everyone should play the way they most enjoy. And I understand staying in an age and building up a stockpile.
But...
I most enjoy advancing. Building new buildings, and new armies. Fighting against ever more difficult challenges. Bigger rewards for more difficult quests. Oh, and overcoming more advanced neighbors.
I've never spent money on the game (not out of principle, but I'm too poor) but I've finished FE on 4 worlds. Staying in a low age and repeating the same quests over and over sounds really boring to me. And I'd hate to look at the same city day after day.
I just started on V, and a lot of folks are taking the "stop at Bronze Age" approach. I just can't enjoy it, so I'm plowing forward steadily. It may be difficult, but it's what I do.
YMMV

Algona

Either that, or buy a bunch of Diamonds so I can build fancy houses. That just feels like cheating.

It's not cheating. But it is an awful idea. As you advance you'll wind up tearing down those pricey houses. Instead. spend Diamonds on Expansions. Unless you have a lot of discretionary cash...

DeletedUser25815

Thank you again for all the advice.

As long as there is profit in it, I tend to be more of a combat kind of guy. I currently have a full set of army building for both BA and IA. Not especially efficient but it allows me to pursue both PvP towers.

I also am using trading to allow me to continue to progress beyond my military power in the Continent Map. As an IA guy, I am facing EMA defenders. Not impossible but a little tricky sometimes so I keep the negotiate option open with my trades. I have goods buildings for all the deposits I am in possession of and trade that for the other goods.

This all means that I am pushing both "paths" of play. That should make it obvious why I am bumping into a population problem. My current "unemployment rate" is 0.1% (2/1895). i have keep all the little buggers enthusiastically working away on supplies, goods and gold but I really need more of them if I am going to keep on with my "I want it all and I want it now" approach to this game.

I suppose money into more space is likely the best use of $$$ in this game. First I have to convince myself that it will be that much fun to play.

DeletedUser25832

I don't go out of my way to buy diamonds, but I do when I level up to get the nice new expansions. I look at it this way, I was paying $15.00 a month to play World of Warcraft (for eleven years), so I don't feel bad about paying $10 every two months (or so, I'm a slow leveler) to play this game. It helps keep the developers in business to design more fun stuff. So a few dollars a month is fine by me. I just won't spend $100's a month!

Plus I get a lot of diamonds from my little Bronze Age city. It helped cover my boo-boo. I moved into Early Middle Age on my main world and was clicking away quickly and didn't even notice that I bought that new house tech with diamonds!! Boy was I rather irked at myself for doing that. But oh well, I got it back in a few weeks from my Bronze blacksmiths, plus the extra population did come in handy. So yeah, I spend my diamonds and I buy a few for the expansions.

cbalto1927

I don't go out of my way to buy diamonds, but I do when I level up to get the nice new expansions. I look at it this way, I was paying $15.00 a month to play World of Warcraft (for eleven years), so I don't feel bad about paying $10 every two months (or so, I'm a slow leveler) to play this game. It helps keep the developers in business to design more fun stuff. So a few dollars a month is fine by me. I just won't spend $100's a month!

Plus I get a lot of diamonds from my little Bronze Age city. It helped cover my boo-boo. I moved into Early Middle Age on my main world and was clicking away quickly and didn't even notice that I bought that new house tech with diamonds!! Boy was I rather irked at myself for doing that. But oh well, I got it back in a few weeks from my Bronze blacksmiths, plus the extra population did come in handy. So yeah, I spend my diamonds and I buy a few for the expansions.

To add, At the start of every era, there are build and starter packages addition to 2 new expansion. The build package is well worth it since it only 3.99 for premium of every building for that age. The Starter packages which gives you goods of new age, plus even more medals, Forge points and etc. There also Military packages Which provides military units of current age, could also be useful if a person has a plunder issue with other players.

DeletedUser24678

As Maia said about spending diamonds. There is a way to disable it auto-buying things that need diamonds, in case you don't want FoE to auto spend your expensive or hard-earned diamonds. That way it asks before buying it, to use that function go to the options button on the lower left corner (The gears)

DeletedUser25832

Yeah I found out about that AFTER. But I now have it turned on (or off as the case may be) to ask before auto-spending diamonds. I play on my PC during the day, switch to my Kindle after I set the Sailing Ship for it's 8 hour overnight sail and use my Android for when I am away from home. It's a handy little button to know about.