• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

train

Dursland

If you still have stars in the event, I'm expecting them to come up as the daily one more time. Every other building got to show up at least twice, train has only been up once.

I have a level 1 in my city waiting to be a Charcoal Express myself.

yellerdog

If you still have stars in the event, I'm expecting them to come up as the daily one more time. Every other building got to show up at least twice, train has only been up once.

I have a level 1 in my city waiting to be a Charcoal Express myself.
how do we get trains to level up....i have lvl 1 with 3 cars...don't understand how to go higher...

Mor-Rioghain

how do we get trains to level up....i have lvl 1 with 3 cars...don't understand how to go higher...
Trains get levelled up using a "Winter Train Selection Kit" and choosing "upgrade"
One thing to look out for is when the item has a different name before you've chosen the 'branch' option. The Winter Train is a good example, as it's called the Winter Train Set but one of the branching options is the "Charcoal Express." Some of the upgrades you might find in the Auction Dealer Tent (AD) are often named after the original item, not the branching choice, so in this case it would be titled "Winter Train Selection Kit" rather than "Charcoal Express Upgrade or Selection Kit." (I've gotten completely lost looking in my inventory for a seclection kit because I'd forgotten the name of the item before it 'branched!') Good luck!

Dursland

Pericles said it, you use selection kits to get upgrades for them. In fact, the daily special tonight is Winter Train selection kit. Finally! Been waiting.

Johnny B. Goode

One thing to look out for is when the item has a different name before you've chosen the 'branch' option. The Winter Train is a good example, as it's called the Winter Train Set but one of the branching options is the "Charcoal Express." Some of the upgrades you might find in the Auction Dealer Tent (AD) are often named after the original item, not the branching choice, so in this case it would be titled "Winter Train Selection Kit" rather than "Charcoal Express Upgrade or Selection Kit." (I've gotten completely lost looking in my inventory for a seclection kit because I'd forgotten the name of the item before it 'branched!') Good luck!
There's no such thing as a "Charcoal Express Upgrade or Selection Kit" because if it is a Charcoal Express it is already fully upgraded and any selection kit is for the base train, not the fully upgraded one. So your post is literally meaningless.

Mor-Rioghain

There's no such thing as a "Charcoal Express Upgrade or Selection Kit" because if it is a Charcoal Express it is already fully upgraded and any selection kit is for the base train, not the fully upgraded one. So your post is literally meaningless.
I stand corrected on the bolded text.
but -- the wording is true: See image below for one example of a special event item (in this case the House of Horrors Selection Kits and the Upgrade Kits as I didn't have anything in my inventory relating to the Winter Train items):

My intent was to help and if I happened to forget the nomenclature that doesn't mean I was wrong. The event items that offer a branching choice option for the final level often are titled differently -- Selection Kits and Upgrade Kits in addition to the fact that the name of the fully leveled event item is often different from what it's called while it;s in progress.

So for a player who either didn't participate in an event or wasn't even playing when the event was running might just run into previous event items' selection or upgrade kits but only know the name of the finished item It's not a bad piece of advice, it just worded correctly. That doesn't make it "meaningless" just makes it not fleshed out. (After all I did state:
(I've gotten completely lost looking in my inventory for a seclection kit because I'd forgotten the name of the item before it 'branched!')
In other words if you didn't know that the Charcoal Express, The Evergreen Express, and The Sleighride Express were called the Winter Train before the branching option at level 9 then you'd be hard put to find that upgrade or selection kit in the AD. It's not at all uncommon for players to refer to the finished item by it's name rather than the name of the unfinished item.

Attachments

• Kits upgrades screen shot.jpg
    Kits upgrades screen shot.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

MKPapa

are we goin to keep them after xmas...how do we level them up..
Yes, you keep it in inventory, and wait for opportunities to get additional kits in Antique Dealer or during future events.
One thing to remember: do not build it until you have enough upgrades to bring it to a useable level - it takes the valuable space, and you never know how long it will take to collect all needed upgrade/selection kits. I finally got 9 selection kits in the inventory, and will build Charcoal express after the event.

Dursland

If you need coins and population it's useful at level 1. :) I had mine in my city for almost a week before the kit finally came up as special. Appreciated the extra coin for sure. It's a struggle in a new world lol.

Mor-Rioghain

One thing to remember: do not build it until you have enough upgrades to bring it to a useable level - it takes the valuable space, and you never know how long it will take to collect all needed upgrade/selection kits.
I would qualify this advice with "If your partially built event item isn't the only way to address the resources it provides, you might want to wait to build it." Note: many event buildings, esp those offered in the last 2 or so years, provide a great deal in the way of basic resources that a young city might not otherwise be able to provide in the space it uses.

I, too, was taught not to build partial event items but the items themselves have changed a lot over the years providing more and more options and a greater array of resources. It's great advice but I'd tweak it a little to keep up with the every-increasing # of changes that have occured recently. :)

MKPapa

Folks, I totally agree - you do not have to wait for the complete set to build a building. You probably missed one word in what I wrote (in bold): "bring it to a useable level"
If lvl 1 is useable - you can build it, of course.

Ironrooster

It helps to have a store building. Early on in Dilmun I had a level 4 September Cottage. As I acquired more event buildings, I put it back in storage.

Dursland

Also, what cars, dining, sleeping, freight, parlor are you able to add to it?
All of those can be attached to the train, but honestly they aren't worth it. For example, the attack car gives 4% attack in 6 tiles. Wheat Field is also 6 tiles but gives 12% attack.

The Charcoal Express standalone train is a decent enough building with the attack boost per tile but I wouldn't go adding cars to it, you'll only decrease the efficiency.

P C C

All of those can be attached to the train, but honestly they aren't worth it. For example, the attack car gives 4% attack in 6 tiles. Wheat Field is also 6 tiles but gives 12% attack.

The Charcoal Express standalone train is a decent enough building with the attack boost per tile but I wouldn't go adding cars to it, you'll only decrease the efficiency.
While the wheat fields are better, you have to also account for the space taken up by the two other adjacent fields that you need to get the attack bonus but that also use space and don't give attack (though you can use the field that gives attacker defense for one). So the difference between them and train cars is somewhat diminished. And it is usually simpler to add a car to an existing city layout

Ironrooster

While the wheat fields are better, you have to also account for the space taken up by the two other adjacent fields that you need to get the attack bonus but that also use space and don't give attack (though you can use the field that gives attacker defense for one). So the difference between them and train cars is somewhat diminished. And it is usually simpler to add a car to an existing city layout
True. But combining the wheat fields with autumn harvests, begonia benchs, and ochre yards provides a nice package of attack, defense, goods, and FP's that can't be plundered, doesn't need aided, doesn't need roads, and the goods level up automatically when a new new Age/Era is entered

Dursland

True. But combining the wheat fields with autumn harvests, begonia benchs, and ochre yards provides a nice package of attack, defense, goods, and FP's that can't be plundered, doesn't need aided, doesn't need roads, and the goods level up automatically when a new new Age/Era is entered
begonia beach can't be plundered? I assumed that and scarecrow could since they don't get motivated.

Like the cherry pieces, you can plunder those.

Mor-Rioghain

As @Dursland suggested in his reply, set pieces that are classified as "All Ages" can be plundered, such as the Begonia Beach from the Harvest Barn Set and the Gong of Wisdom in the Cherry Garden Set. For the most part, to achieve the desired boosts, such as attack from the Sakura Rock, you only need 2 additional set pieces to gain the boost and depending on the player's desires, an All Ages piece can be utilized to preempt the need for road and the use of One-Up or Reno-Kits to keep their productions current. Keep in mind that not all set pieces will activate that boost - the Gong is a an example of that.

Most players are trying to eliminate unnecessary set pieces in favor of single-unit event items that provide all of those resources that cannot be plundered once their motivated/polished and simply concentrating (if they have the space) on only those parts of the set that give them the boost they desire by accompanying it with those parts of the set that provide no or little profit to the plunderer, such as a small quantity of medals or fps.