• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Ultimate Moments in Trash Talk History

DeletedUser33003

In my continued effort to install a living pulse in the forums, I thought it might be fun to review some of the most epic moments of trash talk that have ever happened. Trash talk is hilarious, usually because it's way, way, way off from reality. But, occasionally a gem among the crowd offers itself up, and it's truly spectacular.

From Tommy LaSorda, to James Brown - the musician, to Tonya Harding everytime she talks, there's some hilarious moments of trash talk, and this thread is intended to celebrate the good, the bad, and the insane.

When you post, please give us your best detailed review of the trash talk. We're looking for quality analysis of the tirade, so no detail is too small, no gesture too mundane, no word is off limits!

Let the fun begin!

DeletedUser33003

I'm not a football fan. In fact, I actively avoid it. But football is great for trash talk, and yesterday we were offered one of the best moments of trash talk we've heard all decade.

For those unfamiliar, this is Jason Kelce, starting Center for the Philadelphia Eagles, who just won the Super Bowl, by beating arguably the last dynasty team the NFL will see for awhile, the New England Patriots.

It wasn't just that the Eagles won, it was how they won it. Offensively, they out played the Patriots, save for an interception that was the receiver's fault (Alshon Jeffrey), rather than who it was tagged to, the game's MVP, Nick Foles.

But, there is tremendous back story to many of the Eagles players, that makes them unlikely competitors in American football's greatest game, and that is likely why Kelce went up to the highest diving board and jump right off into history.

Doug Pederson, Eagles Coach, was a clipboard quarterback for most of his career, one that stands on the sideline communicating plays for the starting quarterback, and then retired quietly to coach a high school football team. Then he got hired by Philadelphia, and after a few years in specialty roles, and then offensive coordinator, was promoted to coach, and then an onslaught of analysts called him "the worst coaching hire in the history of NFL." And I literally mean that's how it got started for him, that sentence was said almost in unison from football writers across the country, but none louder than Mike Lombardi, who added the sentiment that Pederson was "the least qualified head coach in the NFL."

So, Kelce ripped him good above, but it didn't stop there. Over half of the Eagles players have taken criticism, as late as November as being a gaggle of underperformers. Some allegedly are takin steroids (proven not to be true), some are too old to play, some are too slow to play, and the list goes on.

While Kelce made a show of this, to many points he was right. This may not be unwarranted trash talk, but boy it was a doozy.

He also wore a costume, so points for that. And eventually the fans that showed up did their best to imitate the crowds that would regale in Stone Cold Steve Austin's trash talk segments when he was in the WWE.

A good laugh for all, and for the type of city Philadelphia is, Kelce will go down as a legend for having done it.

For Kelce's part, is considered too small for the position he plays, something he constantly gets badgered about in scouting segments on players, particularly in the off-season, when players are traded, signed to other teams, and generally move around their respective league.

Kelce ran the fastest 40 yard dash of all Centers, and only one reporter managed to discuss that during the scouting combine he went to prior to the draft he participated in. But the too small comments came up a lot.

It must have felt like sweet justice when Kelce ran his verbal train across all these media pundits, most of which haven't played tackle football, let alone done anything aggressive in their lives.

Enjoy Kelce's onslaught, if for no other reason, because you have at least a dozen co-workers you'd love to tell off, right before serving them a stunner.

stunner14.jpg

Can I get a hell yea?!?!

DeletedUser33003

Before pressing play, be advised, Tommy Lasorda speaks in curse words. He is the embodiment of a person who uses them as verbs, adjectives, and sometimes nouns. Viewer discretion is advised.

While I don't want to merely focus on sports figures who lose it, no trash talk revue would be complete without Tommy Lasorda.

Lasorda, who was the legendary manager of the Dodgers from 1976 to 1991, was never afraid of a reporter and their microphone. It seemed the more that were around, the louder and more raucous he would get.

And throughout any given season, Lasorda was accused of having his players throw at another, or having his starting pitchers throw too long, and of course, he had run-ins with at least half a dozen team mascots in his career, including a absolute beat-down of the Philadelphia Phillies mascot, the Philly Phanatic.

In the clip above, Lasorda had just faced the Padres, who at the time in 1982 were a joke of a team, and actually had two players, Kurt Bevacqua and Joe Lefebvre, who couldn't find work with any other teams in the league, and joined the Padres organization, which was owned by famed McDonald's owner, Ray Kroc, but who couldn't place a winning team on the field due to his inability to get a great front office and player development staff together. Instead, he relied on the current infrastructure, who clearly didn't want to compete in baseball. At the time, the Padres were actually due to sell and relocate to Washington DC, and the rumor is that the front office staff, who had carefully tanked the Padres for several years prior to Kroc's ownership, felt they needed to undermine him. Again, another story for another time.

But Lefebvre and Bevacqua, despite their lowly standing in the major leagues, were quite talented, if not for the fact that they had been misused as players their whole careers. Both players could start defensively at upwards of five positions, and Lefebvre was a league-average hitter against right handed pitching, but dipped tremendously against lefties. Bevacqua was a worse defensively, but was well above the league average in that light, and in big games he became a much better bat. Bevacqua for his career batted .236. In his World Series apperances, that stretch five games in 1984, he hit .412. Bevacqua was clutch, for sure.

However, Bevacqua had a penchant for starting trouble. He'd been in fist fights with George Brett, in-game, he started several brawls on the various teams he was on, and his personality would soak into other players', and that is likely where the trouble started on June 30, 1982.

Dodgers relief pitcher, Tom Niedenfuer was exactly the type of guy that re-inforced Lasorda's opinions about relief pitchers. He was a very effective closer. But if he had one mistake in a game, mentally he couldn't recover, and it would be anyone's guess what he would throw next. Such was the case on the night of the 30th. Niedenfuer, who had already giving up a home run to Broadrick Perkins, to lead off the ninth. Facing the low-end of the Padres batting order, it would be safe to assume Niedenfuer was steaming mad, and with Lefebvre up to bat, apparently the choice was clear: hit him with the pitch.

Niedenfuer did, and later that night was fined 500 dollars by the league for the intentional pitch.

Various reporters asked the Padres lineup for comment on the fine, and they likely knew that Bevacqua would be a great person to ask, as he was never shy of a fight.

As the clip shows, Bevacqua delivered into the drama, which then cause those same reporters to get comment from Lasorda, the next day, about what Bevacqua said, knowing they'd get a reaction.

And so goes history, a crowd of instigators, always looking to drum something up, especially between two cantakerous types.

For his part, you can tell how little emotion Lasorda has in the subject, because he still remains polite in his interactions directed to the reporters, while giving a massive tirade of f and c words that would make sailors feel like victims.

Lasorda was never afraid to punch, be it physically or verbally. To this day he's still in the front office of the Dodgers organization at the age of 90. Lefebvre has gone onto player development roles with several MLB clubs, but Bevacqua has stayed in San Diego, where he maintains local celebrity status for his crushing performance in the 1984 World Series, and he uses his status to raise money for a hospital that focuses on adult care for those with developmental disabilities.

So, what seemed like a wild weekend in July of 1982, wound up not so bad for all involved.

It just goes to prove, that no matter how sideways it may seem, it can always get back to rightside up.

As far as Lasorda goes, he's proven one more thing: curse words can be used in a number of ways, grammatically, and by limiting our own structure, we lose out on the flourishes he graced every news outlet that night, from the Los Angeles Times, to The Wichita Eagle, to the Boston Herald. It's either that, or he's the old man yelling for you to get off his lawn, and he should probably be taking medication.

In the end, it's a fielder's choice!

DeletedUser33003

Probably the most famous of all preceived podium meltdowns, was the trash talk authored by the clean-mouthed Howard Dean.

In this very child friendly clip, we see an overly-excited Howard Dean, at the press junket where he formally accepted third place, and a loss, in the Iowa Primary for the Democrat Nomination for the US Presidency.

Dean at the time was considered a party outsider, and that his campaign did so well in Iowa scared the political elite on the left. They wanted to do anything to keep him out of the running, because his 20 percent capture of voters in Iowa legitimized his position in a very divided primary (which had six 'major' candidates in the Democrat Party), and kept those votes from going to the party's two intended candidates, John Kerry and John Edwards.

Out of fear, those in the Democratic Party used this clip in varying instances of suggesting Dean was unstable, and employed their strong relationships with members of the media at CNN, MSNBC, and many other media networks to position the clip in various re-tellings of Dean being a 'loose screw,' in one way or another.

Consequently, Dean's campaign came to a grinding halt, simply because we allow the media to control so much of our own thoughts and feelings and are barely cognizant of the control they exercise over us with a constant theme, if they are so motivated. And because of that, probably the best man for the job, for Democrats, was ostracized publicly, and humiliated out of further campaigning.

Years later, CNN would author a public apology to Dean and his campaign, stating that they did in fact, "overplay" the clip, to position him as a loon, when it was merely a person excited by what they managed to achieve as an underdog.

Dean's statement was clearly taken as a threat, as he listed off all the States that he intended to win, by way of attending those primaries in person. At the particular moment of this concession speech, while Dean was third place, his 20 percent was a strong showing, and for him, represented that if he was in attendance, and regularly speaking about ideas he felt were important, it would only be a matter of time before he swayed other primaries.

Kerry and Edwards, two people that regardless of how you feel about them, are synonymous with squandering opportunity, called in the big dogs from the DNC to "handle" Dean.

To his credit, Dean never made personal attacks, something long lost in most political campaigns in our modern era. He went on to chairing the DNC, which is ironic, considering the depths the DNC went to discouraging his campaign. For my money, Dean got the last laugh. Because now there's steam around him running in 2020. He won't run, but it's funny that even now, we don't hear a word on Kerry or Edwards.

Here's to good old fashioned, clean-mouth trash talking!

DeletedUser33003

TLC, one of the most successful R&B music groups of all time, and likely the trend setting group for all female R&B groups coming after them, won two Grammy awards at the height of their fame, where they also sold 10 million albums.

Combined, it was quite the feat then, and an extremely hard for any artist even today, to accomplish such feats.

But, unfortunately TLC aligned themselves with the wrong people, much like many artists do when they start out. In TLC's case, they never changed their management, their publicist, or their agents, and consequently, were being ripped off in front of the world, and told they have to keep quiet.

But in true "crazy" fashion, they bucked the trend, and told it like it is. And while reporters made a clear connection between their manager, off camera, looking steamed, right as they started, the ladies didn't have to get ugly, while making it clear that they were being robbed the old fashioned way, via a false sense of trust.

They wouldn't name people specifically, and they wouldn't go into the details, stating that they "can't," but the statements they did made reverberated through a music industry that was still shaking off it's fraudulent ways that dated back to the 1930's. TLC had always been a trend setter, and they could certainly be credited with being one in this light, as their statements become religion for budding musicians, who were inspired to understand more about the business, in particular contract language. While today, there is still fraudulent business in the music industry on a wide scale, much of the common ways that business representation ripped off artists has subsided.

TLC proved that it doesn't take much to make a statement, talk trash, and get something done all at the same time.

DeletedUser33003

Mike Gundy is a man. Mike Gundy is 40. You have his permission to write about him, but not about his student athletes.

He's the coach of Oklahoma State University's football team, and he doesn't like you writing about his players, who are kids, who do everything right, and don't make his team, and then go home upset.

There's no story here, because three-fourths of it is false, or inaccurate. HEY, PAY ATTENTION, WRITE ABOUT MEEEE!!! I'M 40!!!

Everyone wants to know about my post-30's life, and how I'm learning I should have stretched more when I woke up, and how I take a daily multi-vitamin. The story is NOT about the kid who's not going to play football for me anymore because he wasn't tough enough, and I told him so, but that I didn't want that story to get out, because I don't want my alma mater, where I work, damaged, because I demand perfection, and don't want to manage personality conflicts, or learning curves. I'M 40!

Watch the video, it will make sense, promise. :)

DeletedUser33003

Who can forget this recent gem. Kathy Griffin, who is famous for being a comedian of snark, and sometimes a performer, decided to pose for a horrible art ad that symbolized her beheading the President of the United States, Donald Trump.

Trump has been controversial with a lot of his tweets, which is what most people who are critical of him spend their time waxing about, and the photo art with Griffin was much of the same.

Federal law stipulates that making threaten remarks towards a US President are illegal, and it furthers to discuss the wide ranging content that could involve death threats.

Griffin obviously violated the law, and paid the price of it. She then tried to sue the President, and of course that didn't work. And then she carried on a series of appearances, trying to raise her profile, as her paid gigs disappeared almost overnight.

It just proves that a career in homicide ultimately leads to a career in suicide.

DeletedUser33003

Just like this list would be incomplete without Tommy Lasorda, it would be equally incomplete without the greatest 90 second meltdown by a newscaster of all-time, Bill O'Reilly.

Emblazoned on over half a million morale patches belonging to America's Warfighters, including on a range bag belonging to your's truly, is the quote "#@$% IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE!" O'Reilly, before he rose to fame as the Oracle of Senior Citizens, was on a show called Inside Edition.

I used to see his plugs for the show when I was kid, but I never knew what he was talking about. The name of the show was to suggest they were on the "inside." What does that even mean, maaaaannnn?????? I don't know either! It's the weirdest title for anything media program, and O'Reilly's hair was even weirder, so I guess that's how the show title got pasted by the network execs.

At any rate, O'Reilly was big on reading off teleprompters in those days, and he liked writing his own transitions. Except, he didn't get to the write the one in this clip, where O'Reilly, in true Oracle fashion, completely loses his mind on his floor producer (the guy you can hear in the background confirming that "To play us out" was a hip phrase that all the kids were sayin' back then.

One thing I will confirm for O'Reilly, no one, in the history of my existence, has ever said "To play us out," ever, about anything. And that includes people making a pass at me.

It's not all bad when it comes to O'Reilly. While his schtick on television is grating and annoying, his books in the Killing series (i.e. Killing Lincoln, Killing Patton, etc.) are truly remarkable accounts of pivotal moments in our history. I wish his show was more like his books, that lean on Martin Dugard's story telling saavy. That would be a great show, worth throwing all caution to the wind, and doing live!