• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Was Cosmic Raven's Guide even a remotely competitive playstyle for its time?

DeletedUser38090

I decided to read the entirety of the guide and its comments section to better understand why CR's version of questing got a lot of disagreement. I also found a lot of information from Cosmic Raven in the comments section that I also disagreed with in making somebody "competitive" in FoE, and of course Cosmic Raven oversold his guide as if it was THE competitive way to play. Was Cosmic Raven's guide for its time something that would make a player even remotely competitive in the game, or was the level 80 Arc and its subsequent GB hyperleveling already commonplace, and Cosmic Raven's guide was already outdated upon its creation?

Last edited by a moderator:

UBERhelp1

I decided to read the entirety of the guide and its comments section to better understand why CR's version of questing got a lot of disagreement. I also found a lot of information from Cosmic Raven in the comments section that I also disagreed with in making somebody "competitive" in FoE, and of course Cosmic Raven oversold his guide as if it was THE competitive way to play. Was Cosmic Raven's guide for its time something that would make a player even remotely competitive in the game, or was Arc leveling and its subsequent GB hyperleveling already commonplace, and Cosmic Raven's guide was already outdated upon its creation?
I wasn't on the game back then, but from what I have heard the Arc did not exist when Cosmic Raven wrote the guide, so there was no mention of it. If it was, it probably would have been included, as the spend x FP quests are made much easier by the Arc.

But I'm not 100% sure. Someone fact check me :D

DeletedUser38090

Define competitive. Is it competing in GvG? PvP? Rushing through the eras? Ranking points?

To me, this isn't a competitive game.

Competing in GvG and dominating in it most likely would fit in the definition of "competitive", since GvG is one of the most cutthroat areas in the game. Maybe fast GB progression could be thrown into the mix. Of course, there are so many other ways to enjoy the game, and one doesn't have to obsess over having a "competitive" city to enjoy some of the finer elements of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustapha00

I suppose that it boils down to one's personal definition of "competitive".

I have zero interest in GvG and only slightly more interest in attack my neighbors, so things that appeal to players who do enjoy those facets- and, in their eyes, make them "competitive"- do not appeal to me- thus, I suppose, in their eyes making me "noncompetitive".

It happens that I engage in a very, very light version of his "Heavy Questing" in that I generally complete somewhere around a dozen or so RQs each day (more depending on the rewards or other factors) on each server. I find that to be at or about my limit for such things before crossing into rote gameplay. I make what I feel to be acceptable progress in terms of Guild and server ranking. As fast as it could be? Absolutely not. But the quickest way to stop playing a game is to play it in such a manner you do not enjoy.

DeletedUser29726

Well to be competitive in GvG you couldn't stay camped in colonial... Points being much higher from higher ages. But for the era (pre-tavern, pre-GE, less events, less SoKs won per event), questing was the main thing you could do to increase your FP throughput and thus getting your core setup in lower ages did make some sense. His guide covered the kernel of this and mixed it up with a bunch of personal opinion and sermonizing. What he was selling wasn't anything new - people had developed and run similar strategies for years prior - but rather his guide was mostly written to appeal to the idiot incapable of their own analysis. And any semi-coherent strategy is well ahead of an average* player's progress.

*if you're offended by my use of the word average in this context, there's a good chance you're actually above average ;)

DeletedUser30900

well, its quite unfair to ask this question here since 90% the players in this forum can barely be called above average. People come here to whine and ask meaningless questions most of the time.

CR's guide helped me a lot so i built a good enough city for the first year of my game. After i gather enough FP buildings from the events, i moved to Arc leveling and replaced all the supply buildings in the city with better replacement. Still, seeing people who has less than 70 fp per day working on their Arcs makes me laugh all the time. Maybe they got some advice from people in this forum... (the mediocre kind) (the casual guys)

DeletedUser

If you 'sell your soul' to the Heavy Questing strategy it will work very well for you. You will be swimming in goods, FP, medals, etc. Just like the Arc. Which is why I dislike both. Any single strategy that occupies 99% of your game focus and enables you to ignore large sections of game play doesn't appeal to me in the least. GvG is another example. I dabble in RQs, I have an Arc in almost all of my cities, and I occasionally make a brief foray into GvG. But none of them control my game.

DeletedUser27889

CM played in my world as one of the highest ranked players, a leader in one of the highest ranked guilds. For his time yes it was a good strategy and it did well for many people. Dozens of his guild mates, friends and people outside followed his directions and for a time they were very formidable. For all the reasons you mention above it is completely obsolete. Every goal of his guide can now be done better by other means. If you were to look at his stats and his GBs now they wouldn't seem impressive but for the time he was. GBs were not always able to be leveled above 10, there was a hard cap, power leveling was not a thing. I do not know when the change was made it was either before my time playing or before I played in any way where GB caps would have affected me.

While I did not know him personally given his demeanor I'm inclined to suspect that once his strategy became more and more out of date the blow to his ego was just too much and he left the game. It looks like a forum guild now but at the time, especially in his guild but even in other worlds his followers were his devotes who did everything he said without question and he acted every bit the part of the Messiah, reveling in every bit of it.

DeletedUser

If you were to look at his stats and his GBs now they wouldn't seem impressive but for the time he was.
They don't look impressive now because he hasn't played in almost 2 years. If he had stayed and kept working his HQ strategy he would still be an impressive player.
GBs were not always able to be leveled above 10, there was a hard cap,
This was changed long before he started his guide.
his strategy became more and more out of date
I'm kind of surprised to hear this. His strategy would still work now, exactly as it did then. I didn't like it because it was boring, but it did, and still does, work. And you don't even need to rely on sniping or buying higher age goods or slogging through 80 levels of the Arc for months. His strategy works from day one of starting the game, without relying on anyone else to make it work.
While I did not know him personally given his demeanor I'm inclined to suspect that once his strategy became more and more out of date the blow to his ego was just too much and he left the game.
When he left the game, his strategy was not at all out of date. He left at the height of its popularity, mainly because his ego couldn't take players (like me) who pointed out various flaws in his posted strategy that really didn't affect the effectiveness of it. Such as his ideas about military buildings. Extraneous stuff that didn't affect the core strategy at all. But he couldn't take being corrected on anything, so I believe he got tired of that and left. I could be wrong on the reason he left, but I know it wasn't because his strategy was "out of date", because it wasn't...and still isn't, no matter what the Arc virus victims say. :)

DeletedUser38090

Wow, got lots of great comments and insights!

I have zero interest in GvG and only slightly more interest in attack my neighbors, so things that appeal to players who do enjoy those facets- and, in their eyes, make them "competitive"- do not appeal to me- thus, I suppose, in their eyes making me "noncompetitive".
I wouldn't really consider your playstyle competitive because you aren't trying to be an adversity to other guilds or purposely trying to outdo others. But even in games where there is a clear objective of winning, people still have lots of fun exploring other facets of the game, and since there is no "winning objective" in this game, there are loads of other opportunities to have fun. My post wasn't trying to say that competitive play was the only way to have fun, or even that competitive play would be fun for everyone. I find it fascinating that there are so many ways to play this game and enjoy it, and it's one of the reasons why I picked up this game.

It happens that I engage in a very, very light version of his "Heavy Questing" in that I generally complete somewhere around a dozen or so RQs each day (more depending on the rewards or other factors) on each server. I find that to be at or about my limit for such things before crossing into rote gameplay.
Yeah, I would agree that doing tons of RQs on multiple worlds is extraordinarily tedious and could lead to burnout quite easily (if I recall correctly, you have 6 worlds?). I used to have 3 worlds, and now I stick to only one because I wanted to focus on one world for the RQs and snipes. Sniping would be super tedious on more than one world.

But for the era (pre-tavern, pre-GE, less events, less SoKs won per event), questing was the main thing you could do to increase your FP throughput and thus getting your core setup in lower ages did make some sense.

That was what I was thinking mostly with CR's strategy, that recurring quests are the best way to make FP outside of the event buildings, GE, GE buildings, but then CR got dogmatically attached to the supply RQs that he was spouting out mathematically incorrect information like the Cherry Garden set (even at level 1) being outclassed by supply RQs, Terrace farms being outclassed by 2-supply-building RQs. I was incredibly shocked when CR says this because with expected values of FP and whatnot, these FP buildings always beat the 2-supply building RQs. For such a guy who looks over spreadsheets and numbers very carefully, his overlooking of event buildings was very surprising.

What he was selling wasn't anything new - people had developed and run similar strategies for years prior - but rather his guide was mostly written to appeal to the idiot incapable of their own analysis. And any semi-coherent strategy is well ahead of an average* player's progress.
Yeah, I've heard clockmaker questing was being used by Colonial players before even Indy was in the game on the Danish servers.

CR's guide helped me a lot so i built a good enough city for the first year of my game.
CR's guide does go into how recurring quests work, which was valuable to me, and his advice on city design was good enough (although I still had lots of learn about city design and still continue to learn today after reading the guide).

Still, seeing people who has less than 70 fp per day working on their Arcs makes me laugh all the time.
Was this a dig at me? I mean, my FP production is at 28 on collection, which less than half of that 70 fp figure, but I do the 25-FP strat with the Vikings which gets me around 20 FP a day on average, which still is just over halfway of the 70 FP figure, and yet I'm satisfied with my progress on my Arc. I've talked with others, and getting a pre-30 level every 3-5 days I've heard is good progress. I wish I could bump that fp figure up some more, but I started that town just near the end of Carnival, so it's been rough. Combine that with the horrendous luck with the cherry garden selection kits, and that's why my FP production is peanuts.

I read the guide and it helped me understand the game better. I stuck to it during the earlier ages and then drifted from it gradually as I understood more about what it could and couldn't do as well as the things that I wanted to do. It's not perfect, but I still respect it.

I would agree that CR's guide brings a fresh, new perspective of the game if one were coming into FoE with no existing prior knowledge. There are a couple of good takeaways from it, but I wouldn't give it enough respect to recommend it to newer players, as some of the advice given in CR's comments are things that I disagree with heavily. I would just explain how RQs work to players who want to learn more about them.

If you 'sell your soul' to the Heavy Questing strategy it will work very well for you. You will be swimming in goods, FP, medals, etc. Just like the Arc. Which is why I dislike both. Any single strategy that occupies 99% of your game focus and enables you to ignore large sections of game play doesn't appeal to me in the least.

And I totally get that. With either strategy, there is not much emphasis on fighting manually, which I think is part of the fun in this game.

CM played in my world as one of the highest ranked players, a leader in one of the highest ranked guilds. For his time yes it was a good strategy and it did well for many people. Dozens of his guild mates, friends and people outside followed his directions and for a time they were very formidable.
That's quite interesting! So around what time did the level 80 Arc supersede HQS as the dominant strategy for competitive, maybe for me to better understand the perspective of time, in relations to Dulahan's guide?

If you were to look at his stats and his GBs now they wouldn't seem impressive but for the time he was. GBs were not always able to be leveled above 10, there was a hard cap, power leveling was not a thing. I do not know when the change was made it was either before my time playing or before I played in any way where GB caps would have affected me.
I didn't play the game back then, so I wouldn't know how impressive it was to get all of your GBs to level 10. Did people complain about getting excess useless blueprints once they got the full set in the pre-hard cap times?

I'm kind of surprised to hear this. His strategy would still work now, exactly as it did then. I didn't like it because it was boring, but it did, and still does, work.
I think Manda was trying to say that HQS, while it works now, is outmatched by the Level 80+ Arcs' grasp on the game on generating nearly every single resource in the game. While we can debate over whether the tedium for a high-level Arc was greater, or the HQS strategy was greater, both had some form of tedium and work that would appeal to only a certain niche of players who wouldn't mind it at all, and will continue to strive towards progressing their town. And then based on that, that certain niche of players who don't mind the tedium would choose the Arc if they wish to progress faster in the game.

Emberguard

I'd define competitive as what would be required to be the best

Those at the top of their game will almost always be playing a "different" game from the amateurs. I don't mean the game itself is different, but whatever they apply themselves to they have a much deeper understanding of its workings, how to excel at it and therefore approach it differently. The best of the best don't compete with everyone, they compete with those also at the top. This is usually true for life in general.

If you're going through the motions but don't understand what you're doing then you're not really competing. It'd be like a art "tutorial" that tells you how to do a specific image but that's all you can do. A one trick pony. But if you know how the pieces fit together and the guide provides the groundwork for you to be able to adapt to situations it doesn't cover then you're able to compete

Last edited:

DeletedUser29726

When he left the game, his strategy was not at all out of date. He left at the height of its popularity, mainly because his ego couldn't take players (like me) who pointed out various flaws in his posted strategy that really didn't affect the effectiveness of it. Such as his ideas about military buildings. Extraneous stuff that didn't affect the core strategy at all. But he couldn't take being corrected on anything, so I believe he got tired of that and left. I could be wrong on the reason he left, but I know it wasn't because his strategy was "out of date", because it wasn't...and still isn't, no matter what the Arc virus victims say. :)

Out of date is perhaps the wrong word for it. Excessively dogmatic? Do 'exactly' this! And if you don't do 'exactly' this you can't really call yourself a quester. And other such pretentious bullshit that wasn't even optimum (at that particular moment in time even) :p It was however good enough that if you only have the faculties of a trained monkey doing exactly as he said would probably progress you faster than what you'd have done on your own.

Questing as part of a strategy is not out of date or wrong - even those with your so-called arc virus use it regularly (specifically the spend FP quest). It's one tool in the toolbox and if you're really trying to min/max you have to compare it against other options available to you when it conflicts with them (i.e. when other buildings need space). But to say someone's following cosmicraven just because they use recurring quests is insulting to say the least!

DeletedUser29726

If he discusses terrace farms, GE4 was available (introduction of 4th difficulty coincided with the new rewards).

DeletedUser30900

CR’s guide is outdated as it is. You wanna progress faster then work on your arc. But before you have at least a good amount of daily FPs collection, you either have some super patient guild mates that offer you 1.9 and wait for week for you to level once on your arc or you getting sniped left and right by everyone else.