• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What army unit is best to use against the barbarian

DeletedUser32426

I have looked back in the research technology to see if I can find where I can get a barbarian..did not find one. I am trying to complete quest that my army is up against the barbarian and I have lost battles with my selections. Please help

Graviton

The strategy for barbarians is to avoid killing any of them until you've damaged all of them. The remaining units get stronger when you kill one.

DeletedUser32426

The strategy for barbarians is to avoid killing any of them until you've damaged all of them. The remaining units get stronger when you kill one.
Then the use of artillery like catapults is the best answer. Thanks

Praetorius

If you're dealing with a lot of the melee ones ballistas work well too.

If you are dealing at least 4 slingers in the group using mass calvary works too if you stick to the 'damage them all first' plan.

DeletedUser32426

If you're dealing with a lot of the melee ones ballistas work well too.

If you are dealing at least 4 slingers in the group using mass calvary works too if you stick to the 'damage them all first' plan.
It helps to know this ...since I lost my catapult in the battle. Can you attack with artillery only and no units?

Praetorius

It helps to know this ...since I lost my catapult in the battle. Can you attack with artillery only and no units?
If you're dealing with all melee you can easily get two rounds of attack before they can close the gap to hit you. 8 fast units can work too if there are slingers in play, if you don't mind a few losses. Combinations of ballista and calvary can work too depending on the enemy makeup.

DeletedUser30312

Artillery and ranged units are generally the way to go with these guys. Soften them up at a distance, then kill them as quickly as possible once they're all wounded.

DeletedUser32426

Now I have come across the rogue units. Do I use the same procedures for rogues as the barbarians?

Graviton

Rogues you want to hit last, if at all possible. The first strike causes a rogue to transform into one of the other types of units on the field, and does no damage to it. If you kill every other unit first, rogues develop a glass jaw and you can one-punch 'em.

DeletedUser30852

Wait until progressive era and then use Tanks to kill them

DeletedUser37577

I defeated 8 barbarian slinger units in steilsturz today and I lost one unit so I'll share my story of how this thread helped me. The unit I lost was an early middle ages (EMA) catapult. At this time I am in the high middle ages (HMA) and I do not have any bonuses from great buildings. I used 3 HMA knight units, 4 EMA heavy cavalry, and one EMA catapult. This means 7 of my units were fast units with movement between 22 and 24 and those 7 also have attack bonuses against ranged units (barbarian slingers are ranged units). I would have used 8 fast units but I didn't have enough so I used 1 catapult also. My strategy was to stay completely out of range on the first round of all 8 slingers and then using the suggested strategy of damaging as many slingers as possible ASAP without killing any of them on the next rounds. My opponents mostly headed for the rocks where they would get defense bonuses. I was careful not to use my knights on the enemies that were in the plains because I didn't want to kill them on the first blow. The choice of units turned out good because they move great distance before the slingers know what hit them. I used the strategy of always attacking the least damaged slingers first, but not killing them. You can sort of see what damage you are about to do by hovering over each opponent with the mouse, before making each decision/step because the numbers appear to tell you roughly the amount of damage that will occur. After all slingers have between 1 and 3 health remaining, I killed the rest of them off, one at a time, in a specific order, most healthy to least healthy. Near the end that's when the slingers took out my catapult and damaged one of my knights by 50%.

DeletedUser37577

I just defeated the last steilsturz sector with 4 barbarian slingers and 4 barbarian heavy units. So here is my update in case it helps someone. I used the same units as last time with the same strategy but lost 3 EMA heavy cavalry. No significant damage to my other 5 units.