• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is the Fascination with Parking?

DeletedUser31498

It's the points from every battle a player has done. PvP, GE and GvG combined. You would need to be playing on browser to do GvG.

I'm not too sure on how to check the towers from mobile. I *think* you need to load your Cmap and click on each tower individually but I could be wrong there, it's been awhile since I played the mobile version.

oh man you're right... and im in first!!!! though only worth 25 medals since im in iron age haha.

now ill have to experiment and see how much each battle contributes~

DeletedUser31498

sweet so if i can win my hood every week, i'll earn a new expansion once every 3 years from these medals!!!

DeletedUser31498

so at 25 medals per week... 1,050 per year....400k needed....i think 15 generations from now my ancestor can unlock something?

DeletedUser27889

so at 25 medals per week... 1,050 per year....400k needed....i think 15 generations from now my ancestor can unlock something?
Lol nah. Each era's tower goes up in medal value. The lower ones are the lowest but as are the amount of medals need for expansions. I've always considered the towers more for the glory than the medals anyhow. Best ways to earn medals is to donate to GBs. Even if you just swap FPs. Second I'd say is Shrine Of Awe/Pole House/Victory Towers.

Events also come in handy for larger sums of medals quickly. Here's a list of all the expansions currently in the game:

http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Expansion

You can see how high the medal cost goes up.

DeletedUser31498

yeah but we've decided i should park in Iron Age for a while!!

yeah i didnt even know this existed, just gravy. i can do the first three GE difficulties, so seems like i win my hood group by a factor of 10 or so.

Rhyyss

Generally I follow the middle course, like a lot of players - stay in one age for a while to build up my GB's and make the GE a little easier, store up some goods... and then move on.

That being said, I do have one city parked in the Bronze Age. It's absurd, but it's a fun challenge to see how far I can get - it's at 172K points so far.

Falconwing

While there is some merit to advancing slowly, I find that most people who park just like being the big fish in the little pond. I have played almost a year, been in my guild for most of that time, and even as slow as I'm advancing (I'll go to Colonial next event), I've been passing active players who haven't advanced a single age since I've joined. We're talking lvl 10+ in most GB's with lvl 50+ Arcs at EMA. You can yell "strategy" all you want, but if you're a daily player and you've parked at the same age for over a year, you got big fish syndrome.

BruteForceAttack

Build your Arc and get it to high level, so you don't have to worry about getting bp to get your other GB to higher level than 10, also it is a good way to get your medal with your arc. http://prntscr.com/hg66k6
CF and Traz also a nice GB to have, you will save so much space in your city. http://prntscr.com/hg67bc

I second that, just spend fps to get an arc and then spend fps to level the arc. FPS, Medals, BPs, Coins, supplies will just magically be in your city. And Yes Arc+CF+Recurring quests = Winner.

DeletedUser32232

As was said several times above, you need to park from time to time to advance your GB's to the current era just to stay relevant with GE/GvG and your plundering neighbors.

But parking a city is so much more then only this.

Parking a city have a snowball effect on the GB leveling.
You can use all your FP to advance your GB's (preferably through FP swaps).
You can farm the GE. Level 4 is hard. You need some time in an era before you can do it consistently every week. (don't forget to build ToR ASAP). You get even more FP's, goods, medals that you can invest into your city. Hopefully you get the FP buildings (terrace/SSW) and you start to make more FP consistently every day.
As the GB's level up you get more and more stuff (goods and what ever the GB is about). You use it to get Arc goods. You build the Arc -
The Arc even snowball your city more, as the rewards get bigger and bigger.
If you choose a good age (HMA, CA, ME are the best) you can use HQS system and boost your Goods/Medals/FP to new highes. With this FP's you even snowball harder.
In order to do GE4 easily, you push to the next age quests, and get the next age troops. Suddenly GE become so easy. But you cant go up an age, cause then you wont have the next age troops....
You have the space to put up gold buildings. Which you turn to FP. Snowball the whole shebang even more.

So, if you park correctly, over time, you can advance your city much faster then if you advance a bit, then park a bit and so on. And you can feel the snowball effect quite fast (in this game it means weeks).
Thanks jobu523. This post was just what I needed to see. I'm early LMA and have been wondering if I need to park. Everyone I've talked to said "Yes". All their reason were just echoed in your post. Thanks for tipping the balance.

DeletedUser32378

It's not that anyone necessarily prefers to park, it more becomes something that you must end up eventually doing if you and your guild want to proceed into the Future.

Myself and countless everyone from my current guild are rockin trophys and we're strategically parking in eras to build up our guild treasury. We constantly work together as guild and swap goods, fps, mud construction from the bush sticks, stix. Flyover radio in goods, fp delivery.

Current standings,

58 gold
8 silver
0 bronze

Bout to be 59 gold monday morning.

Wise my says, forgiveness is divine, but never pass up an attempt to crush the soul of your opponent and bring on that 99.9% fire bar.

DeletedUser26829

Everyone else already hit most of the major points on the benefits of parking. I'm a big parker myself and while I know most casual players think it's to be a bully to the hood, that's not why most people do it.

All the benefits listed here are very true but on a personal gaming level I just do not find changing eras fun. I enjoy GBs, working to get them in lower levels and working to level them as well. There is also the added benefit of doing RQs, some eras are much better than others to sit in and gather goodies. As you advance HQs become more difficult.

LMA seems for many to be the natural stopping point and I too sat there for about 9 months. If I had to do it over again I would recommend CA instead. CA goods will need to be refined later so you will have a much higher need for them than LMA goods. So while you're parking may as well collect goods that have a purpose later on. Also the clockmaker RQ is quite efficient if you have room.

This is much more than the simple city builder game it advertises itself as on TV. It can be very in depth and require a lot of strategy. That being said this is a game, it's meant to be enjoyed. If you don't find sitting around in eras forever enjoyable then you shouldn't do it. You will certainly do better in the game the more your strategize and build yourself up but your game shouldn't become your chore.

A good guild would go a long way towards helping you realize a lot of the ins and outs of the game and also help you progress. Unfortunately with you being on mobile a lot of the ways to strategize just aren't there for you. You don't have access to GvG which may be why you see yourself starting to slip on the towers. You can't use global and you can't access guild profiles and the ranking system to find a good guild. You also can't pop into global to find specific people in your world. There is a browser called puffin which you can download and log into the game on your mobile device which will allow you to use the desktop version of the game. They are trying to streamline the game so mobile and browser players have the same experience but it just isn't there yet.

The forums a great place to ask questions and you might luck out if you tell us your world someone could point you towards a good guild that exists there. The wikia is another fantastic tool http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Forge_of_Empires_Wiki

Also, I noticed you said you played ahead and would need to sit out several events to park in LMA. I think parking is best undertaken when entering a new era on the tech tree and on Cmap. For that alone I think you'd be best advancing to CA and parking there prior to the next event. Historical Questlines are one thing to miss out on but the larger events, next will be Winter, could really make a big difference in a players game. Getting rogue hideouts, champs, SoKs, these will all make parking pay off more and be easier. If you do decide to advance then park, only unlock the techs you must for the event, same with Cmap to allow you to park longer. If you're a patient person you don't even need to unlock clockmakers to do that RQ, you can win them in GE and in events. It would then be up to you if you'd like to abort all the side missions to unlock the RQs. I've found though it seems like a waste, I waste more waiting until I can complete a side quest and not having the RQs available to me. Pretty much whatever I can't do the day I enter the new era, I abort.

Sorry for the super long post. I've been making that a habit lately =)
Very helpful and insightful long post.. Keep 'em coming and I'll keep reading...

DeletedUser32232

Very helpful and insightful long post.. Keep 'em coming and I'll keep reading...
Good point. As I get closer on some future era GB prints I am having difficulty with trading up for goods. I've been wondering if CA would be a better place to sit and build.