• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When did 1x1 become priority over large Culture

OldTyme72

I guess the question is in the title. When did the "Aid" feature start prioritizing 1x1's (of the same age) over large culture buildings (also of the same age)?

I guess if you could fix that it would be great. MmKay?

DeletedUser8152

I'm not aware that decorations are given an particular priority. I've never experienced that in my cities.

DeletedUser26154

I don't use Decorations. Ever.

It's a hundred times more efficient to use only Cultural Buildings, roads and Great Buildings for Happiness. I never use decorations because they will eat up a valuable polish or motivation. Why double the value of something worth so little, compared to better choices instead?

Just say no to Decorations. Viva La Cultural Buildings!

DeletedUser10415

If the same age, both have equal chance of being polished, which is one of the reason why decorations are useless. A proposal I created was submitted long ago to render event and diamond decorations non-polishable, giving them value again, but obviously Inno's accountants don't read the submitted proposals.

DeletedUser14197

If the decorations were nonpolishable, than they would not be doubled. I had a deco that gives 300happiness, which takes 1 plot and doubled is 600. The aviary, which I don't believe can be polished, but I gives 967 happines, so 2 of the decos give more than the aviary making it a better use of space. I have had times where I had to delete decos in order to keep my city happy, but there are times when people aid and there is nothing to aid, so decos are helpful for everyone. If you really don't want to have decos aided first, always use decos an age below the buildings you want aided. You won't get as much happiness, but they may still prove useful.

OldTyme72

I'm not aware that decorations are given an particular priority. I've never experienced that in my cities.
I watched it happen last night. I have 2 FOE Cups & 2 Holo Parks (same age) Both cups were polished first before the Holo's.
So I have to delete my event rewards to compensate?

DeletedUser8152

I watched it happen last night. I have 2 FOE Cups & 2 Holo Parks (same age) Both cups were polished first before the Holo's.
So I have to delete my event rewards to compensate?
As far as I know the aid system randomly picks a building of your age. So sometimes it will pick the cups first. If it always picks the cups first, then that is interesting, but you'd have to pay close attention to be sure.

DeletedUser8152

If the decorations were nonpolishable, than they would not be doubled. I had a deco that gives 300happiness, which takes 1 plot and doubled is 600. The aviary, which I don't believe can be polished, but I gives 967 happines, so 2 of the decos give more than the aviary making it a better use of space. I have had times where I had to delete decos in order to keep my city happy, but there are times when people aid and there is nothing to aid, so decos are helpful for everyone. If you really don't want to have decos aided first, always use decos an age below the buildings you want aided. You won't get as much happiness, but they may still prove useful.
Using the older age decos helps to keep your culturals polished, but they will still tend to take away motivations from your houses and supply buildings.

OldTyme72

I don't have many 1x1's...just event rewards (Foe Cups, 1 AA Tiki, etc) but I will watch it tonight as well.
I didn't think any aid was random. Thought it went off a priority list.

DeletedUser14197

Using the older age decos helps to keep your culturals polished, but they will still tend to take away motivations from your houses and supply buildings.

This doesn't appear to be an issue with me at the moment. My houses are normally all motivated. That said, are you saying that the game with aill tomorrow age decorations BEFORE future age houses? That wouldn't make sense to me and I obviously have not encountered it. The only problem was when I had too many wind turbines. Seems like I was always building them for some reason. At any rate, when I deleted enough of them, my city started being enthusiastic again. Never do remember my housese not being aided and really, there still are times when people can't find anything to aid

DeletedUser8152

That said, are you saying that the game with aill tomorrow age decorations BEFORE future age houses?
Experience suggests that the aid algorithm works something like this:
1. Check for SoKs and other priority buildings, and aid them first
2. If no SoKs, randomly pick motivate or polish
3. Randomly pick a building of your age to motivate/polish, per #2
4. If no buildings available of your age, pick a building of an earlier age, still per #2
5. If there are no buildings available to motivate/polish (per #2), then choose the other option from step 2, and proceed as in step 3

Because of that, if you have 10 buildings you can polish and 30 buildings you can motivate, then almost all your polishables will stay polished even if your motivatables aren't all motivated, regardless of the age of your polishables.

DeletedUser14197

Experience suggests that the aid algorithm works something like this:
1. Check for SoKs and other priority buildings, and aid them first
2. If no SoKs, randomly pick motivate or polish
3. Randomly pick a building of your age to motivate/polish, per #2
4. If no buildings available of your age, pick a building of an earlier age, still per #2
5. If there are no buildings available to motivate/polish (per #2), then choose the other option from step 2, and proceed as in step 3

Because of that, if you have 10 buildings you can polish and 30 buildings you can motivate, then almost all your polishables will stay polished even if your motivatables aren't all motivated, regardless of the age of your polishables.

Wow, that seems so confusing. When I read steps 1 thru 5, it doesn't say to me what you say it means, if that makes any sense. I believe you. But,it keeps referring to #2 which says motivate OR polish. By 4 it says IF NO buildings your age, than it moves to an earlier age, so that would mean that if my decos are an earlier age, everything should get aided that is my age before they would get aided. The only way what you say it means makes any sense at all is if you really are only going by #2 and it is randomly picking to motivate or polish any building of any age, but even than it does say motivate or polish and doesn't say polish first and than motivate.

Even the first link says it will pick a building from the most recent age.

DeletedUser9433

Wow, that seems so confusing. When I read steps 1 thru 5, it doesn't say to me what you say it means, if that makes any sense. I believe you. But,it keeps referring to #2 which says motivate OR polish. By 4 it says IF NO buildings your age, than it moves to an earlier age, so that would mean that if my decos are an earlier age, everything should get aided that is my age before they would get aided. The only way what you say it means makes any sense at all is if you really are only going by #2 and it is randomly picking to motivate or polish any building of any age, but even than it does say motivate or polish and doesn't say polish first and than motivate.

Even the first link says it will pick a building from the most recent age.
You aren't reading it correctly, first it will choose Polish or Motivate so after it has chosen polish that is what you will get.

DeletedUser8152

Right. The point is that if you have no SoKs/whatever, then if it picks polish in step 2, then it tries to polish first, even if it has to use an older age building.

Also please note this is not official information from Inno, just an explanation based on what people have observed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14197

Well, I could never prove it one way or the other unless I was really watching. AFter all, when it comes to polishing, I don't pay attention to how much time is left on any of the buildings, to know if it ended before or after some other things was aided. I, personally, have not noticed a problem, but I think most of what i have is future age.

Mustapha00

I think the algorithm is set up so that it looks to Mo/Po the highest Age structure in your city (with a few exceptions such as SoK, which is always looks for first).

I can't speak for others, but I know that I manage to get my Age's Premium Decorations pretty early on, usually from Events so, if it's looking for the highest Age structure in my cities, I can see why it would hit a decoration before it hits a production building because chances are high that the decoration is a higher Age.

If it works that way, of course.

DeletedUser9433

There is really no need for speculation, all one need do is to look in your Town Hall history.

DeletedUser11463

So just get a bunch of friends and you will find that the majority of your city gets aided unless you have a boatload of deco's. I find keeping older deco's allows for enough motivation without them getting done too often.

DeletedUser8152

So just get a bunch of friends and you will find that the majority of your city gets aided unless you have a boatload of deco's. I find keeping older deco's allows for enough motivation without them getting done too often.
When I had a bunch of 4 hour houses, this was not so much the case. With 24 hour houses it is fine.