• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Which special buildings are worth keeping?

Falconwing

Are the latest winter set buildings worthwhile? I haven't placed any of them yet.
It wasn't the best set really, but if you were very lucky (or a Diamond spendthrift), you could win a pretty decent combo of buildings. I just went for SoK's myself. It was easier than gaining a complete set of Winters Village. You could only win 2 of the Winter set from events, the other 7 you had to win randomly, and if you didn't get enough of them, you only had a pile of squat. I ended up with 5 SoK's, a Santas workshop, and a couple renkits (and a boatload of garbage) I didn't even do the last days Quest. The stars and 2nd Winter piece weren't worth having to scout a province and take over 3 sectors.

DeletedUser31592

Do the math on the base cider mill, no upgrades. It's the most efficient supply building I have. Just sayen. Not sure why my post was so ignored, guess people don't like math. Once you learn to compute efficiency by square there isn't much left to judge a building by IMHO.

I had a Cider Mill for an entire year pre-upgrade. It was great for supplies! (Now I just want FPs from it, lol.)

DeletedUser26532

It wasn't the best set really, but if you were very lucky (or a Diamond spendthrift), you could win a pretty decent combo of buildings. I just went for SoK's myself. It was easier than gaining a complete set of Winters Village. You could only win 2 of the Winter set from events, the other 7 you had to win randomly, and if you didn't get enough of them, you only had a pile of squat. I ended up with 5 SoK's, a Santas workshop, and a couple renkits (and a boatload of garbage) I didn't even do the last days Quest. The stars and 2nd Winter piece weren't worth having to scout a province and take over 3 sectors.

Just for the record I spent 100 diamonds from GE and got more than a full set as well as at least one SOK (I think two but changed era mid event so not 100% certain). So it was doable without being a spendthrift.

DeletedUser27889

Yep. I would happily do DCs to win the level 1 cider mill so I could replace my blacksmiths with them.
The original Cider Mill is the only regular supply building I have in my city apart from blacksmiths when needed. I don't need the supplies but having extra helps me do more unbirthday quests along with doing DC and event quests. I run it on an 8 hour timer along with 8 hour FP buildings.

Falconwing

Just for the record I spent 100 diamonds from GE and got more than a full set as well as at least one SOK (I think two but changed era mid event so not 100% certain). So it was doable without being a spendthrift.
Well, I did say very lucky or spendthrift and never said impossible. I didn't even say lotto lucky. For every one like you who were lucky, there was probably ten people who weren't. Look through your Hood and Guild. You probably won't see a lot of completed Winter sets.

DeletedUser26532

Well, I did say very lucky or spendthrift and never said impossible. I didn't even say lotto lucky. For every one like you who were lucky, there was probably ten people who weren't. Look through your Hood and Guild. You probably won't see a lot of completed Winter sets.

While that is true there was also a widespread belief before the event that the buildings "were not worth it" (which they are mathematically) or "would be impossible to get the whole set" (which they weren't) so most people weren't even trying for them. So that also massively reduced their prevalence since people didn't try for them in favour of SOK (or whatever else)

Falconwing

While that is true there was also a widespread belief before the event that the buildings "were not worth it" (which they are mathematically) or "would be impossible to get the whole set" (which they weren't) so most people weren't even trying for them. So that also massively reduced their prevalence since people didn't try for them in favour of SOK (or whatever else)
Don't get me wrong, a complete set is well worth having. But it was in no way as easy to win as you think. You had to win 7 of the pieces on that crap Christmas lotto thing, far worse odds than even this recent Bridge Upgrade garbage. I tried my balls off to win SoK's and I only got 5. Had those tries been used on the Winter set, I'd have been two pieces short of a complete set and, depending on which two pieces I missed, could have ended up with crap. At least going for SoK's, I knew each piece was a winner on it's own instead of just a stepping stone to the grand prize. It just boils down to whether you should try for the Jackpot and possibly fail, or go for the smaller prize with greater odds of winning.